PDA

View Full Version : Galvo Fiber Laser and Bamboo

Bill George
11-13-2016, 1:36 PM
I have a 20 watt one on order and its main purpose is to do metals, but will a Fiber laser also be able to raster engrave pre-finished bamboo? Granite, Rowmark plastic tag material?

Kev Williams
11-13-2016, 3:20 PM
Bamboo, nope. I could get some smoke was all. If persistent, probably catch it on fire but nothing resembling "engraving" :) Pretty much the case with most wood, it seems to soak the heat from the laser very slowly, too slowly for engraving...

Rowmark, depends on the color- white surface kinda works, but as soon as it hits black, it starts catching fire. Black surface catches on fire from the getgo. I know some guys use their fibers for rowmark but I have three C02's that do just fine with it.

Granite- I just grabbed a piece of floor tile I've practiced on with the C02, and I was surprised to find that it engraved quite nicely...

Bill George
11-13-2016, 3:57 PM
Hi Kev, Just got back from a trip to Branson, MO , six shows in 2 days and to much food! My wife had a idea and it involved bamboo for a new product so I thought I would ask here. I could use my diode laser for the bamboo but we just need to move to another product concept. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Rodne Gold
11-13-2016, 10:23 PM
co2 galvo will do it
My fiber doesnt work on wood apart from incinerating it
works amazingly on most plastics , much to my surprise