PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw repair help needed

Howard Pollack
11-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi-
I was changing the blade on my old Rockwell cast iron 14" bandsaw (model 28-200) and thought I'd try to get rid of a vibration I've felt for a long time. With the blade off I turned on the motor and realized that the lower wheel was very obviously moving back and forth when viewed facing it. I presume that the problem is a bad bearing as the wheel has some (not much) play in it when gripped across a diameter and wiggled. I suppose the problem could also be a warped wheel or a bent shaft, but those seem much less likely. It is held on by a 1" nut which is quite tight. I've been unable to hold the wheel still in order to loosen the nut. I'd appreciate any help I can get in repairing this saw. Thanks.
-Howard

Bob Bouis
11-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a job for an impact wrench. Trying to hold the aluminum wheel might damage it.

Caveat: I've never actually tried to remove one of those wheels and don't know how you're supposed to do it.

Bill White
11-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Left hand thread?
Bill

Van Huskey
11-13-2016, 3:04 PM
Left hand thread?

Bill

Lower wheels on bandsaws are indeed reverse threads, which may be the root of his inability to get it off.

John Lanciani
11-14-2016, 4:35 PM
Lower wheels on bandsaws are indeed reverse threads, which may be the root of his inability to get it off.

Actually, both of the nuts on the lower axle of a Delta 14" are right hand thread. They are, however, extra fine thread and easily damaged. If you decide to use an impact gun tread lightly.

Van Huskey
11-14-2016, 5:04 PM
Actually, both of the nuts on the lower axle of a Delta 14" are right hand thread. They are, however, extra fine thread and easily damaged. If you decide to use an impact gun tread lightly.

Huh, I stand corrected. The Delta variants obviously have both depending on his model he will need to verify for his model before he goes banding around on it.