PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly J/P Tune-up Help Needed

Frank Drackman
11-13-2016, 9:22 AM
I have the Grizzly GO634XP 12" J/P and it is making me insane.

I have a project that required 45" boards to be edge joined for glue up into a panel. After being joined they are concave in the middle. LIke this image that I borrowed:

My first thought was that the outfeed table was too low so the board was running downhill. I tuned the jointer so that cutter are .003 higher than outfeed table and the .003 is constant from the hinge side to the outboard side.

I did the same on the infeed table so that the table is .030 below cutters across the width of the table.

Ran some boards with the same result.

Anu ideas?

Thanks - Frank

Frank Drackman
11-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Some more data.

I put a roller stand at the end of the outfeed table that was slightly higher than the table and I have almost eliminated the problem. This tells me that the outfeed table is sagging at the end.

With a conventional jointer design I could shim to bring the end of the outfeed parallel but can't envision how to shim this design. It seems to be a knock-off of the Minimax J/P combos. Anyone experience a similar issue with other brands?

Thanks - Frank

Charlton Wang
11-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Not sure how the roller at the end will work as presumably it'll cause a bit if a bump but couldn't you adjust the infeed table to make it parallel with the outfeed? Manual indicates where to shim to adjust.

Charlton Wang
11-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Actually, I just checked mine and I actually shimmed the outfeed table (the exact same way as stated in the manual for the infeed table). There are essentially two contact points for the table pivot shaft and you you shim the side that's away from the cutterhead to lift the end up. Make sure the bolt on the free side of the table is also adjusted the same amount to keep the table parallel with the cutterhead.

Frank Drackman
11-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I should have updated yesterday. I found the shimming information and have been getting closer with each step.

glenn bradley
11-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Be sure to factor in the material that is not on the table. That is; if your material is longer than your infeed or outfeed table the feed path can foul. For a board that we joint concave side down (the usual approach) if the material is longer than the infeed the trailing edge of the board may be below the table height and therefor below the feed path plane. You do not want to "goof" your machine by fixing a feed problem through table misalignment.

Charlton Wang
11-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Glenn has made a very good point and I've experienced this as well which is why I tend to work on the ends of the boards a little bit before doing the full length for boards that are really bowed or crooked.

Frank Drackman
11-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks, I am aware of that issue.

I am now getting perfect results. The secret sauce was two Coors Light shims on the outboard bolt.

Glenn has made a very good point and I've experienced this as well which is why I tend to work on the ends of the boards a little bit before doing the full length for boards that are really bowed or crooked.