PDA

View Full Version : So what are you looking for come Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Van Huskey
11-13-2016, 12:20 AM
For me it is a couple of Dewalt 618 D-handle routers, another Dewalt 611 router kit, parallel clamps (Jet hopefully), maybe a 12v brushless impact driver (Makita or Bosch) to complement my Festool CSX and some 20v Dewalt batteries which may come in the form of a drill/driver kit since they are often cheaper than the batteries plus I can always use another charger.

So what is everyone hoping to score this shopping err holiday season?

Patrick Walsh
11-13-2016, 7:00 AM
Felders Holiday sale.

Its time to get my shaper fully outfitted.

Aigner fence, distometer, presuure bars, mounting brackets, maybe a cutter or two and a extension table for my jointer.

Other than that nothing i want/need goes on sale. I could use some new work clothes but when you can buy more tools the old ratty work clothes have to suffice...

johnny means
11-13-2016, 7:51 AM
A quiet day at home with the family and plenty or left overs.

Frederick Skelly
11-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Another set of JET clamps at 50% off the regular price!

George Bokros
11-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Jet clamps at 50% off, free shipping on any size order at Rockler.

Matthew Hills
11-13-2016, 11:11 AM
For me it is a couple of Dewalt 618 D-handle routers, another Dewalt 611 router kit, parallel clamps (Jet hopefully), maybe a 12v brushless impact driver (Makita or Bosch) to complement my Festool CSX and some 20v Dewalt batteries which may come in the form of a drill/driver kit since they are often cheaper than the batteries plus I can always use another charger.

So what is everyone hoping to score this shopping err holiday season?

What are the strengths of the Bosch/Makita brushless 12V?
(I had been keeping my eye on the brushless milwaukees; didn't know that makita and bosch now have brushless 12V.)

I've been thinking about a shop radio. Hoping the Rigid Gen5x would get a good deal.

Matt

Van Huskey
11-13-2016, 2:32 PM
What are the strengths of the Bosch/Makita brushless 12V?
(I had been keeping my eye on the brushless milwaukees; didn't know that makita and bosch now have brushless 12V.)

Matt

The Milwaukee brushless 12v drill/driver and impact are the workhorses of the class and come the closest to replacing an 18v but they are big, almost the size of compact 18v drills. The (blue) Makita and Bosch are significantly smaller and fit into tighter spaces and are lighter which is what I want in a 12v. Where I am stuck is the Bosch uses stick batteries so it is fatter at the grip but not as tall as the Makita which uses slide on batteries. So I am at the point now where the best deal will make my decision between the two. Personally, I could care less about the added runtime for the brushless motors my main interest in them is the smaller form factor.

Rich Riddle
11-13-2016, 2:35 PM
Where is everyone eyeing Jet clamps at 50% off retail price?

Matt Day
11-13-2016, 2:39 PM
Jet has a 50% off sale every BF and just about all retailers have the sale on the clamps. I've gotten some the last 2 years. There were complaints last year about fulfillment from some sellers - I think they oversold.

Rich Riddle
11-13-2016, 2:46 PM
Jet has a 50% off sale every BF and just about all retailers have the sale on the clamps. I've gotten some the last 2 years. There were complaints last year about fulfillment from some sellers - I think they oversold.I don't mind waiting if they arrive. Some of us are waiting for a Festool sander as well. Others, points at Van, already have four of them. I need to shop where he shops.

Van Huskey
11-13-2016, 3:15 PM
I don't mind waiting if they arrive. Some of us are waiting for a Festool sander as well. Others, points at Van, already have four of them. I need to shop where he shops.

The sanders were just blind luck, I was out of town working during the deal and didn't know about the deal until after pre-orders were closed. I called my local store and got on the list and they had two for me and I set up an eBay search notification because I wanted to watch the mayhem so when CPO listed them I bought two more. Had I gotten the email on Oct 4 like most people I would have ordered from Bob Marino or Shane at Tool Nut and be waiting also. In retrospect, the small dealers were the way to go when it was first announced.

I really do hope Jet has their usual clamp sale since I have convinced myself one last dip into that pond and I will have all I reasonably need but we all know how that goes with clamps.

Mike Manning
11-13-2016, 3:36 PM
When & where can we expect to hear about the Jet clamp sale? From a quick perusal at Big Box Store on Friday looks like prices for a lot of the seasonal junk will be higher than last year. Of course, that's just continuing a string of price increases without corresponding wage increases we've all seen for many years.

Jim Becker
11-13-2016, 5:05 PM
I"m not really looking for anything, but if I saw some doo-dad one sale from any of the vendors I monitor, I'd consider it if it was something I could/would use. That would likely be something in the hand-tool realm...

Mike Henderson
11-13-2016, 6:44 PM
I'd consider buying another DeWalt 611 trim router package (with the plunge and fixed bases). I have two now but I like to keep certain bits in them permanently so they're pre-adjusted.

Mike

Van Huskey
11-13-2016, 7:05 PM
I'd consider buying another DeWalt 611 trim router package (with the plunge and fixed bases). I have two now but I like to keep certain bits in them permanently so they're pre-adjusted.

Mike

The usual $25 off $100 won't move me on the Dewalt routers I want since those deals come up regularly, in fact they just had that promotion in the last week or two. Now, if they would just give me 25% off then I would spend some money.

Bruce Wrenn
11-13-2016, 9:29 PM
To get bandage of my hand. Having surgery on Monday the 21st. Got one week from now to have Toys for Tots car bodies ready for Dec workshop to assemble them.

Glenn de Souza
11-14-2016, 12:28 PM
A break from politics.

Plus I wouldn't mind joining the track saw club, if a deal's on the table.

Rich Engelhardt
11-14-2016, 6:27 PM
A break from politics.+1 to that!

I'm not real sure what all I want this year - other than the break.
I'm at sort of a crossroads.

Ray Newman
11-14-2016, 6:33 PM
Have my eye on a couple Forrest blades.

Victor Robinson
11-14-2016, 7:03 PM
Kind of done for a while and looking forward to not spending so much this year.

The next round of spending whenever it comes will involve Euro upgrades to some of the machines and a CNC, but that won't be for a while. Maybe 2018.

Jim Andrew
11-14-2016, 8:47 PM
Kind of bad when you get a Grizzly Christmas catalog and you already have everything.

Van Huskey
11-14-2016, 8:55 PM
Kind of bad when you get a Grizzly Christmas catalog and you already have everything.

There is almost always bigger and/or better, within the pages or elsewhere. :p

Rich Riddle
11-14-2016, 10:56 PM
I am pondering a Tormek but don't really think they ever go on sale.

Van Huskey
11-14-2016, 11:31 PM
I am pondering a Tormek but don't really think they ever go on sale.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff I plan to buy in the next 6-8 months are on the "excluded" from sales list. I want a Fuji HVLP systems and they are normally excluded from sales but I missed that Acme had them on their site wide one day 15% off sale last week so I missed saving over $100.

Eric Rimel
11-14-2016, 11:48 PM
I don't know about Black Friday, but I've been patiently waiting for a new batch of Les Outils Cullen Deluxe Marking Gauges to become available for what seems like forever. Maybe, just maybe I can get one soon.

i typically bought some Jorgensen clamps from Grizzly around the holidays, but I see they aren't carrying them anymore.

Dave Lehnert
11-15-2016, 12:08 AM
I don't know about Black Friday, but I've been patiently waiting for a new batch of Les Outils Cullen Deluxe Marking Gauges to become available for what seems like forever. Maybe, just maybe I can get one soon.

i typically bought some Jorgensen clamps from Grizzly around the holidays, but I see they aren't carrying them anymore.

Jorgensen clamp co. pulled the plug a few months back.

Eric Rimel
11-15-2016, 1:30 AM
Jorgensen clamp co. pulled the plug a few months back.

I had no idea. I'm a few months behind the rest of the world in terms of clamp news. That makes sense though as I've been eyeing clamps on Amazon and prices have been odd. Huh. First Wetzler, now Jorgensen. I don't particularly like Bessey clamps. A few more things to get used to I guess.

Brian Tymchak
11-15-2016, 7:47 AM
A break from politics.

Plus I wouldn't mind joining the track saw club, if a deal's on the table.

+1 on both counts! And a second impact driver would be handy.

...What I'd really like though is a BF deal on heavily figured curly/BE maple.... You never see that...

Matt Day
11-15-2016, 8:00 AM
Van you probably know this - where's the best place to look for deals? I know about Fat wallet and the couple Black Friday sites, but I'm looking for woodworking specific stuff. Woodnet usually has a thread going on sales. Anything else?

Van Huskey
11-15-2016, 2:30 PM
Van you probably know this - where's the best place to look for deals? I know about Fat wallet and the couple Black Friday sites, but I'm looking for woodworking specific stuff. Woodnet usually has a thread going on sales. Anything else?

Fat wallet and Slick Deals along with the Black Friday sites are what I use for more general information.

Most of the WWing forums will each have deals posted, but you just have to grind through them.

Toolguyd is VERY good about posting deals, it is mainly handheld tools for the trades and diy but they do a good job sorting through all the cordless stuff.

Be on the mailing list for all the big tool sites Acme, CPO, Toolnut etc along with manufacturers and smaller dealers like Incra, Woodpeckers, Highland and Carbide Processors.

Camelcamelcamel alerts on Amazon items, the prices as I am sure everyone knows are very volatile if you see a good deal buy it, if you don't it probably won't be there in an hour.

I don't have any magic bullet and my guess is everyone knows most of these approaches and more and I suggest if anyone has any good techniques or site they should share it here.

Bill McNiel
11-15-2016, 8:12 PM
Yeah, a lot of the stuff I plan to buy in the next 6-8 months are on the "excluded" from sales list. I want a Fuji HVLP systems and they are normally excluded from sales but I missed that Acme had them on their site wide one day 15% off sale last week so I missed saving over $100.

Van,
FWIW- The Fuji HVLPs that Acme had on sale were the model prior to the new Platinum series. The main difference, as I understand it, is the Platinum has an improved heat dispersion approach.
regards - Bill

Van Huskey
11-15-2016, 8:22 PM
Van,
FWIW- The Fuji HVLPs that Acme had on sale were the model prior to the new Platinum series. The main difference, as I understand it, is the Platinum has an improved heat dispersion approach.
regards - Bill

Thanks, makes me feel a little better, I didn't look at them on the site just saw someone post they bought one after the sale was over.

Ben Rivel
11-15-2016, 8:23 PM
Have my eye on a couple Forrest blades.You just missed the best deal on those. AcmeTools.com had their 15% off sitewide deal on Verterans Day.

mark mcfarlane
11-16-2016, 4:44 PM
Woodcraft is supposedly going to have a sale on Jet Clamps,... I asked if they were repeating the Bessey sale from last year and the local guy said no, but probably Jet clamps and probably not 50%.

Van Huskey
11-16-2016, 5:05 PM
Woodcraft is supposedly going to have a sale on Jet Clamps,... I asked if they were repeating the Bessey sale from last year and the local guy said no, but probably Jet clamps and probably not 50%.

The Woodcraft Black Friday circular has been posted, no clamps, but suppose they could still have some on sale. Nothing interesting to me at all in it. Normal Jet 15%, Powermatic 10%, Laguna 10% and Laguna blades 20%. I might get a Resaw King or two but WC only carries sizes that fit the saws they sell.

Ben Rivel
11-16-2016, 5:12 PM
Yea from what I heard no 50% Jet clamps this year from Woodcraft.

Harry Hagan
11-16-2016, 5:44 PM
Some local stores and malls have announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving so that employees can enjoy the day with family and friends! I'm hoping this is a trend.

Van Huskey
11-16-2016, 5:54 PM
Some local stores and malls have announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving so that employees can enjoy the day with family and friends! I'm hoping this is a trend.

For some it is nice and for others the loss of holiday pay and possibly overtime can actually be a negative especially those working retail. There is also a large contingent of people outside of retail that have to work on holidays because the world just can't stop.

John K Jordan
11-16-2016, 6:06 PM
Freedom from shopping. I just can't get into it.

I shop throughout the year. On Dark Friday I don't leave the farm. On Electronic Monday I will read a book. Printed on paper.

JKJ

Robert Hayward
11-16-2016, 8:11 PM
Have never owned a cabinet saw. I have a decent table saw now that is about six years old but the lure of a good cabinet saw is too much for my weak will power. I am going to jump on a 3hp cabinet saw. Have been waiting a year for the Black Friday sales. I bought a good Powermatic bandsaw last year with the intention of having the money put aside for a cabinet saw this year.

Jim Becker
11-16-2016, 8:23 PM
On Dark Friday I don't leave the farm. On Electronic Monday I will read a book. Printed on paper.

Radical Freak!!!! :D :D :D

mark mcfarlane
11-16-2016, 10:59 PM
I misspoke, The Woodcraft sale on Jet clamps is supposed to be for December, not Thanksgiving.

Michael Alu
11-24-2016, 7:11 PM
Is any place having the 50% sale on Jet clamps? I was unable to get the benefit of it last year. Was hoping for it this year.

Cary Falk
11-24-2016, 7:41 PM
Rockler used to have a set of 4 Jet clamps plus blocks for a pretty good price. Doesn't look like they are doing it this year. I haven't seen any good deals this year. I guess I will keep my money.

Van Huskey
11-24-2016, 9:04 PM
The only Jet clamp sale thus far has been 20% off 12 and 24". I am waiting until cyber Monday to be sure but will be ordering some Besseys if no better sale on Jets. I prefer Jets with Jorgensons second and Bessey third but I have them all and they all work.

I am buying a bunch of NWS, Knipex and Wera handtools, only 10% off but even that is unusual. A couple of Bosch router kits and a 12v brushless drill and accessories using the 25 off 100 and a Dewalt 611 and a bunch of little stuff for the same 25 off 100, 6 total orders so $150 "saved". I got a stupid good deal replacing all my socket sets with a large Craftsman set (good enough for me so be quite Tool Truck snobs), socket racks and a bunch of accessories that cost a bundle bought one at a time. I used the pre-black Friday sales along with shopyouway points to save about $200 of the "real" normal price, I think I saved a couple of million dollars based on the inflated MSRP. I also 48 light duty 4/6/8" F-clamps from Peachtree for about $140 shipped, I never have enough of them and they were cheaper than HF prices.

Honestly, I haven't seen a deal good enough to buy something I didn't plan to buy, just saving a little here and there on things I have waited for now to buy. Well, there is the cool tapered dovetail box spline system from Infinity that I way buy but it is a pre-order price not technically a sale price.

Michael Alu
11-24-2016, 9:38 PM
The only Jet clamp sale thus far has been 20% off 12 and 24". I am waiting until cyber Monday to be sure but will be ordering some Besseys if no better sale on Jets. I prefer Jets with Jorgensons second and Bessey third but I have them all and they all work.

I am buying a bunch of NWS, Knipex and Wera handtools, only 10% off but even that is unusual. A couple of Bosch router kits and a 12v brushless drill and accessories using the 25 off 100 and a Dewalt 611 and a bunch of little stuff for the same 25 off 100, 6 total orders so $150 "saved". I got a stupid good deal replacing all my socket sets with a large Craftsman set (good enough for me so be quite Tool Truck snobs), socket racks and a bunch of accessories that cost a bundle bought one at a time. I used the pre-black Friday sales along with shopyouway points to save about $200 of the "real" normal price, I think I saved a couple of million dollars based on the inflated MSRP. I also 48 light duty 4/6/8" F-clamps from Peachtree for about $140 shipped, I never have enough of them and they were cheaper than HF prices.

Honestly, I haven't seen a deal good enough to buy something I didn't plan to buy, just saving a little here and there on things I have waited for now to buy. Well, there is the cool tapered dovetail box spline system from Infinity that I way buy but it is a pre-order price not technically a sale price.
I agree there is nothing out there just jumping out at me. I've seen 35% on bessys from 24"-50" at highlandwoodworking.

eugene thomas
11-24-2016, 9:38 PM
Last year went from 0 to 30 on jet clamps... but looks like can't add to collection this year.

Rosea Webs
11-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Have never owned a cabinet saw. I have a decent table saw now that is about six years old but the lure of a good cabinet saw (https://besttacticalreviews.com/) is too much for my weak will power. I am going to jump on a 3hp cabinet saw. Have been waiting a year for the Black Friday sales. I bought a good Powermatic bandsaw last year with the intention of having the money put aside for a cabinet saw this year.

One of my neighbor have sawstop professional cabinet. I heard from him that this product price is little bit high but work great with him.

jack duren
11-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Kreg clamps.That's about it

Alan Bienlein
11-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Nothing as I always buy my tools when I need them.

Matthew Hills
11-27-2016, 1:59 PM
So did you get a 12V system?
(seemed like Makita's 18V sub-compact brushless is similar to their 12V in terms of size/weight)

Matt

Ben Rivel
11-27-2016, 2:04 PM
I jumped on a 12" Bosch Glide SCMS from AcmeTools.com for $480 free shipping no tax using their "CYBERSTEAL" 20% off coupon code! Only one time use per customer though and can only be used on one item. It was that or a Fuji Mini-Mite 4, but I'm not quite ready to set up a spray area yet so an HVLP would have just sat in the box for a while.

Reinis Kanders
11-27-2016, 3:00 PM
Amazon has many Yost vises on sale, quite a bit cheaper than usual. I have some of them and they are very useful to have in the woodshop.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMDO9AE/r

https://www.amazon.com/Yost-Heavy-Duty-Multi-Jaw-Combination-360-Degree/dp/B00CBL62HQ

Rick Moyer
11-27-2016, 5:40 PM
All-Clad frying pan and a Big Moss putting green. Oh, woodworking related, nope, nothing. Everything I would want is more than I can spend.

Marc Burt
11-28-2016, 8:56 AM
Picked up a supermax drum sander from Acme Tools.

Todd Davidson
11-28-2016, 5:06 PM
Amazon has Yost's relatively new line of parallel bar clamps priced pretty competitively as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Yost-K5012-Inch-Parallel-Clamp/dp/B01EVXW5MM

Gary Muto
11-28-2016, 6:58 PM
Milwaukee or Bosch 12 Volt heated vest. Every time there is a sale they just jack up the price and/or they don't have my size (L)

Jim Becker
11-28-2016, 7:49 PM
Sadly, I didn't get to click on Lee Valley's ad email this morning quick enough to be able to score anything I might have been interested in; particularly some "factory second" hand planes. They were all sold out early. Oh, well... ;)