PDA

View Full Version : Who Remembers ___________________

Rich Riddle
11-12-2016, 8:43 PM
I went to the store and ask for a snack from years past, shoe strings (like thin potato shoe strings in a can). The clerk laughed as though they never existed. I left a fill in the blank so you can place your own item/event from the past, but do any of you know if they still make shoe strings?

Bradley Gray
11-12-2016, 9:00 PM
Of course I looked at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=shoestring+potatoes

Mac McQuinn
11-12-2016, 9:01 PM
I remember them well, they were made by French's, Pik-Nik and Butterfield I believe. Walmark carries them as does Amazon still, even in BBQ and Salt and Vinegar flavored.
Good Luck,
Mac

Stephen Tashiro
11-12-2016, 9:54 PM
I left a fill in the blank so you can place your own item/event from the past

The cereal "Puffed Rice". The cookies "Lemon Thins". The beer "Rheingold"

Tom Stenzel
11-12-2016, 11:01 PM
We haven't had shoe string potatoes at the house for years then my wife came home with a can about a week ago. I just looked in the kitchen to see the name but it hasn't survived. I didn't see the can in the garbage.

Remember the Jello that you poured in the cup and it separated into three layers? Remember Mrs. Butterworth syrup with 2% real butter?

I miss fire brewed in copper kettles Strohs. The stuff sold now just isn't the same.

-Tom

Mike Cutler
11-13-2016, 12:20 AM
I went to the store and ask for a snack from years past, shoe strings (like thin potato shoe strings in a can). The clerk laughed as though they never existed. I left a fill in the blank so you can place your own item/event from the past, but do any of you know if they still make shoe strings?

They're in the convenience store around the corner, and at the supermarket in town.

Me, I miss Simba soda. It was great as a kid. As an adult I might gag on it, but I drank it every chance I got when I was 10 or 12.

Kurt Kintner
11-13-2016, 5:59 AM
Blood orange soda .....

Rich Riddle
11-13-2016, 7:51 AM
Simba and Blood orange soda must have been regional. I loved the lemon thins and haven't thought of them in years.

Mike Cutler
11-13-2016, 8:07 AM
Simba and Blood orange soda must have been regional. I loved the lemon thins and haven't thought of them in years.

Yeah, they may have been. I grew up in Southern California in the 60's and 70's.

Joe Kieve
11-13-2016, 8:29 AM
Anyone remember NuGrape? Best tasting grape soda around. I just googled it and it's still available.

Chris Damm
11-13-2016, 9:15 AM
The cereal "Puffed Rice". The cookies "Lemon Thins". The beer "Rheingold"
I bought Puffed Rice a few months ago at Food Lion but haven't seen it since.

Bert Kemp
11-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Real Milk in a bottle with cream on top

Ernie Miller
11-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Lemon Thins were great - Orange Thins even greater!

George Bokros
11-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Lemon thins and Nabisco Cameo cookies. The Keebler Vienna Fingers just don't compare Cameo and never did.

Jerry Thompson
11-13-2016, 11:03 AM
At least we can still find Spam.:rolleyes:

Barry McFadden
11-13-2016, 12:34 PM
I buy Hostess Shoe string potatoes all the time in any grocery store...

Jim Koepke
11-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Schwepp's bitter lemon and bitter orange. I liked the bitter lemon with rum.

Denison's lima beans and ham, haven't seen those in stores for a long time.

There are a lot of local beers that disappeared over time. Some survive in name only as their naming rights were picked up by others. Not sure if Olympia beer still exists. Same with originals like Hamms or Lucky Lager. I think the names may still exist. Most of them were not beers of my liking. One of those would be Mackison's Triple Stout, haven't seen that in ages either. It was thick enough to use as pancake syrup.

Any one remember Seven Up candy bars? There were seven different items separately covered in chocolate. Many other candy bars that have disappeared over the years, many of which I can not recall the names. Every once and a while I see Mountain Bars, Brown & Hailey makes them daily, but they are not the same.

jtk

Mike Henderson
11-13-2016, 1:01 PM
Real Milk in a bottle with cream on top
You can still find non-homogenized milk, but not many places. With non-homogenized milk, the milk under the cream is pretty much skim milk. You'd have to shake the milk to mix the skim and the cream before using. Otherwise, the first user of the bottle would get the cream and the rest would be stuck with skim milk.

You can understand why most people prefer homogenized milk.

BTW, milk is homogenized by physically breaking up the cream globules. See here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk#Creaming_and_homogenization)for a description.

Mike

[Yes, I remember non-homogenized milk and the problems of getting the bottom of the bottle. We milked our own cows and my mother would take most of the cream to make butter. I had to get up before school to milk cows. You can understand why I went to college.]

Ken Combs
11-13-2016, 1:49 PM
Anyone remember NuGrape? Best tasting grape soda around. I just googled it and it's still available.
Well maybe second best, compared to Grapette. Remember that.

Rich Riddle
11-13-2016, 2:27 PM
At least we can still find Spam.:rolleyes:Yes, it's most likely the same cans that were around when we were small children...what is the shelf life of it? A hundred years?

Matt Day
11-13-2016, 2:43 PM
I totally forgot about shoestring fries - I used to love them! They didn't last long around the house though.

Mel Fulks
11-13-2016, 4:16 PM
If your local store is out of Spam you can always borrow a can from the the local jail.

Evan Ryan
11-13-2016, 4:24 PM
I miss 5th avenue candy bars. They still make them, but they used to have almonds on top and that made all the difference.

Rich Riddle
11-13-2016, 4:44 PM
I remember hearing about Grape Nehi from the sitcom MASH. Didn't Radar claim that was the best grape drink?

Mike Henderson
11-13-2016, 6:38 PM
For some reason, Spam is extremely popular in Hawaii (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Menuism/why-do-hawaiians-love-spam-so-much_b_1901306.html). They make all kind of Spam dishes.

Mike

Stan Calow
11-13-2016, 6:50 PM
Schwepp's bitter lemon and bitter orange. I liked the bitter lemon with rum.jtk

Jim! Yes on Bitter Lemon. I've asked at all the major liquor stores in the area for years, and no one carries it or will order it. Had not heard of Bitter Orange, so now gotta have some of that too.

Howard Garner
11-13-2016, 8:08 PM
I remember hearing about Grape Nehi from the sitcom MASH. Didn't Radar claim that was the best grape drink?

Still out there down here. Just bought some grage and orange NeHi a couple weeks ago.

Rick Potter
11-13-2016, 8:16 PM
Ever the contrarian, there are things I wish would go away.

Like Peeps.

John A langley
11-13-2016, 11:07 PM
How about blackjack gum and the soda fountains are gone so you can't get egg creams anymore

Mac McQuinn
11-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Ale-8 & Double Cola are my favorites from years gone by.
Mac

Charlie Velasquez
11-14-2016, 12:22 AM
I see most have kept to food and drink, but......

Not sure if it qualifies as food, but I know several kids that ate some.

And the smell of mimeographed paper...

Brett Luna
11-14-2016, 1:47 AM

SanPellegrino makes a blood orange drink called "Aranciata Rossa". I like that it isn't overly sweet. I also like their regular orange and grapefruit flavors.

When I was a kid, my favorite lemon cookies were Lemon Coolers. I hadn't seen them in decades but found a box a while back. They weren't as good as I remember them.

George Bokros
11-14-2016, 7:40 AM
When I was a kid, my favorite lemon cookies were Lemon Coolers. I hadn't seen them in decades but found a box a while back. They weren't as good as I remember them.

Forgot about these, they were a favorite of mine too.

Rich Riddle
11-14-2016, 9:52 AM
Who remembers where he high beam switch was located on vintage cars?

Chet R Parks
11-14-2016, 9:59 AM
On the floorboard.

Charles Wiggins
11-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Like cola (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrQ2tbnwT0) is one I bring up a lot. I actually preferred it over Coca Cola, Pepsi, or RC.

Danish Go Rounds (https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kellogs-Danish-Go-Rounds-264410548867/about/?ref=page_internal). My grandmother used to buy them when my sister and I visited. SOOOO much better than Pop Tarts. It took me years to figure out what they were called because we just called them all "pop tarts," kinda like "Hand me a kleenex."

Charles Wiggins
11-14-2016, 10:18 AM
On the floorboard.

The ones I remember were on the left side of the floor board under the parking break pedal.

Who remembers Plymouths with automatic transmission push buttons on the dash?

Belinda Barfield
11-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Marathon candy bars.

Charles Wiggins
11-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Marathon candy bars.

My SIL loved those too. We ordered her a box of these because a lot of people say that they taste the same: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HYEFL0/

George Bokros
11-14-2016, 10:56 AM
On the floor where it belongs!!

George Bokros
11-14-2016, 10:58 AM

All the Chrysler's had the push button TorqueFlight. Also before that Chrysler had the lever on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

Prashun Patel
11-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Sounds like someone found a new use for his lathe....

Mel Fulks
11-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Well,there is some good news in candy department. According to on line reports Mars Bars are back as almond Snickers.
Just thought of a candy sales story. When it was sold in its own department in big clear glass bins ,the manager of a store noticed the customers seemed to wait and mill around for a particular girl to help them. When he asked the girl about that she said that the other girls always put too much candy on the scale and then took off candy to arrive at ordered quantity. But she always put too little on the scale and ADDED candy to get to ordered amount.

Bert Kemp
11-14-2016, 11:29 AM

s on the floor???????
what

Jim Koepke
11-14-2016, 11:44 AM
s on the floor???????
what

And if you are a bit older you might recall the larger button/pedal over by the gas pedal for the starter.

jtk

Jim Koepke
11-14-2016, 12:00 PM
In a reply to another thread about pencil holders this became a forehead slapper:

I recall when they started using jars with twist off lids, but I do not recall the last time seeing Dundee Orange Marmalade.

jtk

daniel lane
11-14-2016, 12:49 PM
For some reason, Spam is extremely popular in Hawaii (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Menuism/why-do-hawaiians-love-spam-so-much_b_1901306.html). They make all kind of Spam dishes.

When SWMBO and I eloped there, we discovered that. We heard it was in no small part due to the cost of shipping meat; it's all brought by cargo ship or plane, and Spam keeps a lot longer, so it's cheaper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an aside, I had Spam again recently and found it seemed far fattier than it was when I was a kid. (Military brats eat a lot of Spam, it seems, and I was no exception.) Maybe I've just got a more refined palate now.

Jim! Yes on Bitter Lemon. I've asked at all the major liquor stores in the area for years, and no one carries it or will order it.

I have found it in grocery stores in the 'mixers' section with tonic water, etc. I've even seen it in a grocery store in far SW Virginia!

d

Michael Dye
11-14-2016, 1:53 PM
Reese's Butterscotch Cups. Just like peanut butter cups, but butterscotch on the outside instead of chocolate. As a kid, I could eat a dozen without even thinking about it. Come to think of it, I did eat a dozen.............once. Sick for a few days after. But boy were they the best.

Stan Calow
11-14-2016, 2:18 PM
[QUOTE
I have found it (Bitter Lemon) in grocery stores in the 'mixers' section with tonic water, etc. I've even seen it in a grocery store in far SW Virginia!
d[/QUOTE]

I know it still exists (common in Europe), just not carried by any local distributors, including grocery stores. I look for it when out of town, but still rarely find it.

I grew up with, and happen to like Spam. Preferably with a glass of Tang.

Rick Moyer
11-14-2016, 6:05 PM
Yeah, that way you wouldn't have to stop texting with both thumbs!:eek:

David Helm
11-14-2016, 6:39 PM
And if you are a bit older you might recall the larger button/pedal over by the gas pedal for the starter.

jtk

Yep, I remember that.

Rod Sheridan
11-14-2016, 6:51 PM
We have them in a bag like potato chips.

What I miss is Temagami Dry Ginger Ale..................Rod.

Rich Riddle
11-14-2016, 7:32 PM
I remember some old sitcoms including the Andy Griffith show and a few years later All in the Family and Barney Miller.

Stewie Simpson
11-14-2016, 7:55 PM
Life before McDonalds, KFC and other high fat American fast foods entered Australia. Cholesterol killers.

Van Huskey
11-14-2016, 9:47 PM

When I lived in Kauai you could even go into a CVS and see Spam sitting literally by the pallet in many flavors. I remember the first time I saw it and was stunned, I knew they love their Spam but pallet loads... in a drug store???

Paul F Franklin
11-14-2016, 9:52 PM

When I was 3 or 4 (so a long time ago) we had a station wagon with pushbutton transmission. I was playing in the car one day and evidently put it in neutral. Car rolled slowly down the slight slope of the drive, crossed the road, rolled into neighbors yard and stopped in a bit of a ditch. I remember nothing of it of course, but my Mom told the story many times about how lucky I was because it was a busy street (for the time, nothing like today I'm sure).

That was the first in my long history of getting into trouble by pushing buttons ;)

James Baker SD
11-15-2016, 12:13 AM
The Almond Snickers is close to the original Mars bar (except in physical shape), but I don't think it is identical. The Mars was fluffier or lighter (probably more air whipped into the nugget). But still the Almond Snickers is better than nothing. Modern "Mars" bars sold in some ethnic stores and also available in Europe are virtually identical to our current Milky Way bars.

Guess this way a long winded way to say my favorite missing item is the Mars bar.

Stephen Tashiro
11-15-2016, 12:43 AM

I remember those buttons on the model that had the big fins.

Stephen Tashiro
11-15-2016, 12:46 AM
I remember some old sitcoms including the Andy Griffith show and a few years later All in the Family and Barney Miller.

Some really old sitcoms were "Topper", "I Love Lucy", "Amos and Andy"

James Baker SD
11-15-2016, 1:05 AM
The other thing I miss is General Mills JETS breakfast cereal. I used to snack on it out of the box while watching Captain Midnight on TV.

Rich Riddle
11-15-2016, 6:27 AM
Captain Midnight?

John A langley
11-15-2016, 7:46 AM
How about only the shadow knows

Mel Fulks
11-15-2016, 10:16 AM
James, thanks for a kind delivery of bad news. Have not even seen an almond Snickers, only Internet info. Snickers is the snack I never tire of, but the Mars bar was a great special occasion dose of sweetness.

Jim Koepke
11-15-2016, 1:35 PM
Life before McDonalds, KFC and other high fat American fast foods entered Australia. Cholesterol killers.

I like the line from "Remo Williams." "Do you know why they call it fast food? Because it speeds you on the way to your grave."

jtk

Rich Riddle
11-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Who remembers when people at at home instead of all the restaurants? There were nowhere near as many restaurants during my childhood.

Mike Henderson
11-17-2016, 1:07 PM
Who remembers when people at at home instead of all the restaurants? There were nowhere near as many restaurants during my childhood.
In the area where I grew up, nobody had the money to go to restaurants:)

Mike

kevin nee
11-17-2016, 4:55 PM
How about Uneeda Biscuits with peanut butter. Clear birch root beer.

Van Huskey
11-25-2016, 5:27 AM
I member, I member...

You guys have been eating the memberberries. Wonder if anyone will get that reference.

Bill Jobe
11-25-2016, 4:23 PM
Lemon Thins were great - Orange Thins even greater!

He also once put instant coffee in a microwave and almost went back in time.

Bill Jobe
11-25-2016, 4:30 PM
Like cola (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrQ2tbnwT0) is one I bring up a lot. I actually preferred it over Coca Cola, Pepsi, or RC.

Danish Go Rounds (https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kellogs-Danish-Go-Rounds-264410548867/about/?ref=page_internal). My grandmother used to buy them when my sister and I visited. SOOOO much better than Pop Tarts. It took me years to figure out what they were called because we just called them all "pop tarts," kinda like "Hand me a kleenex."

Wasn't Like one of the first diet cola's and I think it was made by Pepsi.

Bill Jobe
11-25-2016, 4:43 PM
James, thanks for a kind delivery of bad news. Have not even seen an almond Snickers, only Internet info. Snickers is the snack I never tire of, but the Mars bar was a great special occasion dose of sweetness.

Mars was also a dime while every other candy bar was a nickle.
Remember Chalston Chews?
And my grandpa had a Buick that never shifted. Just gradually increased gear ratio. Most guys but me were well aware of them. I've never been mechanical.

Bill Jobe
11-25-2016, 4:48 PM
When I was a kid all trash, including pop bottles, went out the windoe. Us kids used to get spending money scouring the ditches. $.02 each except for Sundrop which was like striking gold... $.04 each.

Bill Jobe
11-25-2016, 5:16 PM
Red Dot potato chips.

John A langley
11-25-2016, 8:27 PM
Bill Charlston chews still available around here

Jim Finn
11-25-2016, 9:49 PM
"Dad's" Root beer,
I took my driving test in a '56 dodge. Big fins and push button transmission.
Radio shows: Lone Ranger, Red Rider, "The fat man" and cars with an option to crank start.
Boy I guess I am OLD!

What I do miss is "Pepsi Free" it was a diet Pepsi with lemon, came in a blue can.

Rich Riddle
11-26-2016, 11:41 PM
"Dad's" Root beer,
I took my driving test in a '56 dodge. Big fins and push button transmission.
Radio shows: Lone Ranger, Red Rider, "The fat man" and cars with an option to crank start.
Boy I guess I am OLD!

What I do miss is "Pepsi Free" it was a diet Pepsi with lemon, came in a blue can.Jim, you can still purchase Dad's root beer in Kentucky. Big fins on cars were the days.

Bill Jobe
11-27-2016, 12:05 AM

Yeah, and if you left for a trip to grandma's on a Sunday you'd best pack a lunch and have a full tank of gas.

Kev Williams
11-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Hai Karate... a bottle of my dad's is still on the nightstand in our bedroom

Maypo... I guess they still make it, but the 'original' has been gone since the mid '60's (so wiki sez)

Public smoking...
Doctors advertising cigarettes...
I get a kick out of watching old TV shows- Perry Mason, I love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, everyone was puffing away in those days...
Not long ago I saw some news footage of some TV reporters the day Kennedy was shot, their desk was littered with overflowing ashtrays...
When I started working for Denny's in 1971, the non-smoking area was 2 tables by the bathroom away from all the other tables.
I remember smoking while grocery shopping, in hospital waiting rooms, lighting up in the court house after getting married the last time...
That ship has certainly sailed... ;)

Jim Koepke
11-27-2016, 11:47 AM
I remember smoking while grocery shopping

One of the things to help me stop smoking was to realize it wasn't me smoking, it was the cigarette that smoked, I was just the sucker.

jtk

Tom Lang
11-28-2016, 8:58 PM
My dentist use to smoke while I was in the chair. :eek:

Lots of memories of SPAM, but I used to have the Canadian version called "SPORK"

Rich Riddle
11-28-2016, 10:25 PM
I thought a spork as a combination of a spoon and fork, usually in the plastic variety.