PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Track Saw Problem

Jim Dwight
11-12-2016, 7:43 PM
I had a problem with my track saw today but I think it worked out OK. I wanted to clean or possibly change out the blade today and couldn't get the "lock" button to go down. I should have disassembled the blade guard because when I took it apart there was a lot of sawdust that may have been obstructing the mechanism. But instead I tapped on the button with a 1 lb mallet using a large screwdriver. When I took it apart I found out the lock button pivots on a very small screw that threads into a post that is part of the aluminum inner casting. So it couldn't take a tap and the aluminum post broke off. I removed the lever and tried the saw. All that has changed is it will pivot to the depth where you change the blade without you pushing any buttons. That depth is a little less than 3/4 inches. So I guess I will have to be a little careful not to plunge the saw when I don't want to but if I had the chance to defeat that button that normally prevents the plunge I would do it. So I don't care.

The good part is blade changes are a LOT easier. All you do is plunge the saw to the right depth, turn the lever and it locks down, and then push the button down to lock the arbor. Much better. In my opinion, the lock button is not a very good idea in the first place - but they are trying to prevent plunging of the blade without pushing a button, I guess.

I don't recommend anybody break this lever but if you take the blade guard apart (take off the torx screws around the edge and it comes apart) you can remove this lever and see if you like it that way. It would only require a screw or two to be take off once the blade guard is apart (you might have to pull one or two to get to the one you want).