PDA

View Full Version : CA glue, where to buy ?

Wendell Steele
11-12-2016, 2:12 PM
About to venture into ca glue, what's a good brand and where to buy it from ? 4oz bottles.

Thanks in advanced.

Marvin Hasenak
11-12-2016, 2:30 PM
I buy mine from Exotic Blanks, when Mannie of Wood Wonders of Texas retired Ed started selling his CA glue. https://www.exoticblanks.com/Wooden-Wonders-CA-Glues/

Shawn Pachlhofer
11-12-2016, 4:59 PM
^ same as above

Brice Rogers
11-12-2016, 6:34 PM
Some safety advice for using CA glue:

1. Use proper ventilation - - use a fan to blow away the fumes. The fumes can cause respiratory problems. Also, just like on CSI, the fumes will stick to things like finger prints. So, unless you want your finger prints on your glasses to be memorialized, be extra careful.
2. Don't apply with or to something cotton - - it'll cause an exothermic reaction and could catch fire.
3. Best to wear nitril or latex gloves so that you don't glue your fingers or hand to something.
4. If you get some CA on your fingers, use Acetone to remove it.

James Combs
11-12-2016, 6:44 PM
Ditto post 2 and 3 above.

Ted Prinz
11-12-2016, 6:54 PM
Ditto above posts re Exotic Blanks. Dawn and Ed are first rate and they do a pretty good amount of CA business so you can be pretty sure it's fresh (which is important). I also like that they offer several different sizes.

Ted Baxter
11-12-2016, 7:02 PM
I have been using "Mercury Adhesives" (order thru Amazon) for some time now good prices andthey make it in small batches so it is always fresh.
The fumes are not as bad as most others but I agree with others to use a fan blowing across the work.

sam upton
11-12-2016, 7:49 PM
You might also try Vince's woodnwonders'

Wendell Steele
11-12-2016, 8:59 PM
Thanks everyone.

Bob Vavricka
11-12-2016, 10:40 PM
I use Starbond. I usually stock up on it at SWAT and keep it in the refrigerator. You can order from then online.

Chris Gunsolley
11-12-2016, 11:02 PM
I like the Bob Smith "Insta-cure" CA glues, which you can find on Amazon. Very strong, and they dry clear in about 10 seconds. However, I haven't used any of the other glues that were recommended in this thread.

Stan Calow
11-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I think freshness is more important than brand name. The formulas can't be that different. But I do like the house brand CA from Highland Woodworking.

William C Rogers
11-13-2016, 11:00 AM
I use Bob Smith mainly because I can buy it at Hobbytown. Seems to work well and seems fresh.

Chris Gunsolley
11-13-2016, 1:14 PM
I think freshness is more important than brand name. The formulas can't be that different. But I do like the house brand CA from Highland Woodworking.

I've used a few CA glues that dry to a yellow color that looks terrible on lighter-colored woods. However, perhaps those had been sitting longer on the shelf than the ones I subsequently used from other brands.

Chris Gunsolley
11-13-2016, 1:18 PM
I use Bob Smith mainly because I can buy it at Hobbytown. Seems to work well and seems fresh.

Good to know that Hobbytown carries it! There have been times I ran out of the Bob Smith super glue and had to wait a couple days after ordering it, as opposed to applying it immediately when I needed to.