PDA

View Full Version : No more lurking, its time to say HI!

Kent Cartwright
10-05-2005, 9:33 PM
Hello creekers!! Well, after several years of doing lots of reading (a.k.a lurking) and not doing much (like none) posting, I figured I need to mend my wayward ways and say "howdy". Its hard not to want to get involved with a forum that still sends me a birthday greeting, even though I have not been active on the forum. Now that is class!!

I have probably learned more from this forum than in any ten woodworking magazines, so please accept my sincere thanks to all the active creekers out there. I hope I am able to also contribute, in my own small way.

Anyway, I live in northern Michigan and have been woodworking on and off for the past ten years. However, I did not get serious about this hobby until about 4 years ago. My shop is in the basement, and is fairly well equiped (please don't tell SWMBO that, though) for making long boards short and expensive wood into sawdust :)

If I did this right, a pic of the latest project is attached. The plan / ideas I credit to Mr. Dirk Boelman, and I found them in an issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts.

Hello everyone, from Northern Michigan!!

Kent

Jim Becker
10-05-2005, 9:42 PM
Hmmm...looks like we have a lot to learn from you, Kent!! Welcome to the more vocal side of SMC!!! :D I look forward to seeing and hearing about more of your work.

lou sansone
10-05-2005, 9:47 PM
welcome to the posting side of the creek.

lou

Ben Lang
10-05-2005, 9:48 PM
First off... Welcome to the vocal side...

Second... Beautiful box. I've done some work with butterflies, but mostly small projects. I was trying to learn from an old man in my area with his style of inlay. He used microscopic binoculars to do inlays for every one of the veins in a butterfly's wing. he was a scroller, and his blades were the size of the average human hair. I might be able to get a hold of his home made saw, I'll post a gloat if I do!:p

John Hart
10-05-2005, 9:48 PM
Out of the shadows and into the lime light eh? Beautiful work Kent. Look forward to seeing more!

Joe Blankshain
10-05-2005, 9:55 PM
Welcome to the light. The project you have shown makes me think that there is more goings on in Michigan than we are being lead to believe.

Corey Hallagan
10-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Welcome Kent to SMC. Looks like we got another great box builder here. Very nice, the inlay work in particular the butterfly is really nice.
Corey

Keith Burns
10-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the Posting side of the creek. It's obvious that you've been lurking since you posted photos with your first post. Good Job and a nice box as well.

Dan Oliphant
10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Welcome, and great looking box, well executed and photographed.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Welcome Kent! Wow....from hiding in the bushes watching to jumping in and making a big splash! Beautiful box!

Jason Tuinstra
10-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Kent, excellent job on the box. You obviously have an eye for detail. And you're a Michigander! I'm originally from GR - I know, pretty far away but at least we can both say "Go Blue!" Unless of course you go for that other team. :D :p Welcome aboard!

Alan Turner
10-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Welcome Kent. Nice box. Are the stripes that encircle the box a cross band inlay? I have not yet had occassion to inlay as everytime I make a proposal for a commission with inlay, eihter I don't get the job, or my bride talks me out of it as overdone. Someday.

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Welcome Kent. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! Beautiful boxes.

Von Bickley
10-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Kent,
Glad to see you in the Creek.... Great looking box. :)

Boyd Gathwright
10-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Hello Kent,

.... From the Gathwright's to the Cartwright's sounds as though we should be related. Very nice work and welcome aboard ;).

Boyd

Hello creekers!! Well, after several years of doing lots of reading (a.k.a lurking) and not doing much (like none) posting, I figured I need to mend my wayward ways and say "howdy". Its hard not to want to get involved with a forum that still sends me a birthday greeting, even though I have not been active on the forum. Now that is class!!

I have probably learned more from this forum than in any ten woodworking magazines, so please accept my sincere thanks to all the active creekers out there. I hope I am able to also contribute, in my own small way.

Anyway, I live in northern Michigan and have been woodworking on and off for the past ten years. However, I did not get serious about this hobby until about 4 years ago. My shop is in the basement, and is fairly well equiped (please don't tell SWMBO that, though) for making long boards short and expensive wood into sawdust :)

If I did this right, a pic of the latest project is attached. The plan / ideas I credit to Mr. Dirk Boelman, and I found them in an issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts.

Hello everyone, from Northern Michigan!!

Kent

Vaughn McMillan
10-06-2005, 2:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Kent. Looks like you've been holding out on us...the box is very nice. I like the stripes (reminescent of some of my cutting board ideas) and the 3-D trees on the front are a very cool touch. Now that you've broken the ice, I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
10-06-2005, 3:51 AM
Lovely box, welcome and hope to see more of your work.

Dan

John Bailey
10-06-2005, 4:11 AM
Kent,

Welcome to the Creek and congrats on a very nice box. We'll have to get together some time as I live in East Jordan. I'm often in Petoskey because my son lives there. As you've noticed, this is a great site. You'll be a good addition.

John

Karl Laustrup
10-06-2005, 6:39 AM
Well Kent, from your join date I see you've been lurking since the first days of SMC.

Welcome and glad you decided to post, especially with pix of a very beautiful box. Hope to see much more of your work so we can learn.

Karl

Gail O'Rourke
10-06-2005, 7:30 AM
Kent, what a pretty box. I am partial to butterflys and love yours here. Great job and of course, welcome.

Jay Knoll
10-06-2005, 7:57 AM
Kent

Welcome! That is a great box, I'm sure that we will learn a lot from your participation. As you have learned, this is a group of wonderful talented caring people -- as long as you keep the pics coming -- oh, yeah you've already figured THAT out!

I look forward to more of your posts

Jay

John Miliunas
10-06-2005, 8:10 AM
OK Kent, somebody has to put it this way, so it may as well be me: 'BOUT DANG TIME YOU PIPED UP!!!:D And you've been hiding your talents from us for so long, too! 50 lashes with a wet staining rag!:mad: Now that the rant is over with, WELCOME TO SMC!!!:) Guess none of us have to tell you anything about this great place, which you already don't know. SUPER place to learn, share, vent and just plain hang out! I see you've got the picture thing down already, so our picture police should be satisfied, too! :D Most importantly, please don't take another 2+ years to make your presence known! Your box looks super and we'd like to see other samplings of your work. Stop often, stay long!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
10-06-2005, 8:39 AM
Welcome ! Very nice work! No lurking please...

David Wilson
10-06-2005, 8:44 AM
Welcome aboard Kent. Outstanding job on the box.

Kent Cartwright
10-06-2005, 9:22 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome and your kind comments :) Yes, my 50 lashings with a wet staining rag is deserved, as I started reading here when Badger Pond shut down. I'll make amends, I promise, and keep the pic police happy too!!

On the box, the stripes are what I think would be called inlay. I'm not sure on my terminology here. They are strips of walnut and maple sandwiched between the ends and middle of the cherry pieces (laminated?). Anyway, you get the idea. The box itself is cherry, and I finished with Tried and True. What a wonderful finish; what a long time it took for it to dry!! I had to figure out the "search" function on SMC, but figured out what I was doing wrong.

I have instructions from The Boss to make 3 more of these things, so I guess I am sentenced to the shop. Oh darn!! Hmmm, I wonder if there is some way to finagle a little something for the shop out of this???

Aaron Koehl
10-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek!

Ian Barley
10-06-2005, 6:06 PM
Kent - Beautiful work and very nice to have you join in.

Tony Falotico
10-06-2005, 6:23 PM
Kent, Beautiful box , glad you finally jumped in! :)

Gary Lange
10-06-2005, 6:28 PM
That is a bautiful piece of Craftsmanship. I am sure that we can gain some insite into your inlay abilities. Welcome to SMG I too am new and have already gain a tremendous amount of knowledge and ideas.

John Shuk
10-06-2005, 7:50 PM
Welcome Kent,
This is a great place to spend a small part of the day. As we speak I am looking at jar of Petoskey stones which I've collected. My wife has family in Elk Rapids. Beautiful part of the world you live in.
John

Bob Noles
10-06-2005, 8:01 PM
Welcome Kent and what finer way to say hello than a picture of a most beautiful box.

You sure do some good work and I look forward to hanging out and seeing more and learning from you.

Tom Hamilton
10-06-2005, 8:34 PM
Great Box, welcome to the Creek.