PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Turning

Jake Byrd
10-05-2005, 8:52 PM
Hi guys,

I have been away for quite a while, but now I want to learn to turn bowls. I have the faceplate that came with my Jet Mini VS, and a chuck. If anyone could tell me what other tools I need, and how to get started turning bowls, that would be great.

Thanks a lot,
Jake

Edit:The chuck is a Nova Midi Chuck

Loy Hawes
10-05-2005, 9:21 PM
Get this dvd.

http://wonderfulwood.com/dvd.html

Jim Becker
10-05-2005, 9:45 PM
Jake, since you likely have most of the stuff you need already, just add a 1/4" or 3/8" bowl gouge (side grind is my suggestion) to your arsinal. And Loy's suggestion of Bill's DVD is an excellent one, too, and a good investment.

Loy Hawes
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Woodcraft is having a nice sale on Sorby turning tools.

http://www.woodcraft.com/sorbysale.aspx

Charlie Plesums
10-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I second Jim's suggestion to add a bowl gouge, but I would go for at least 3/8 - that is what I have, and fairly often wish for the 1/2 inch.

I also recommend Bill's video...although Sorby and Woodcraft may not like it, because he only uses a couple tools - you can go a long way with just a good bowl gouge.

Be sure you are set up to accurately sharpen the gouge (use a jig) - and plan to sharpen at least once or twice per bowl.

Robert Watsek
10-06-2005, 1:41 AM
Jake, all of the suggestions on this thread are good ones.

I agree with Charlies suggestion to not go less than a 3/8 inch for bowl turning, I use both 3/8 and 1/2 inch and would not want to be with out either one.

Jims suggestion on the side grind is another great one, it makes the learning curve so much easier. If you have the opportunity to use both grinds you will quickly see what I mean.

If you dont take some turning classes a DVD is essential..........there are many diffrent ones on the market The one Loy suggested is a popular one and a very good one.

Bob

Glenn Hodges
10-06-2005, 6:02 AM
If the faceplate is not a 3 or 4 inch faceplate and is the larger 6 inch faceplate I would suggest getting a smaller 3 inch faceplate.