PDA

View Full Version : Custom enclosure from a cigar box

Chuck Pickering
11-11-2016, 9:24 AM
I am not very skilled in woodworking. I am a hobby machinist. I wish to make a custom enclosure for a Rotary Table controller from a nice cigar box of unknown wood construction. If it comes out decent, I will try building a custom storage box for the RT and it's accessories. My small mill/drill will run at 2700 rpm. What is the best method to cut openings in the cigar box for the display LCD, cables, power, and usb connections? I have a rotozip type tool that came in a Dremel Accessory kit. I have experimented on some 1/4" plywood, and experienced some tearout. How can I minimize tearout on the cigar box? The wood cigar boxes are hard to come by around here.
I'm thinking painters tape on both sides of the wood, and cutting the openings a bit smaller than required for hand finishing with files and sand paper.
I ask here because this site came up in my search for info, and George Bullis is also a member here.

Chuck

Jim Becker
11-11-2016, 9:33 AM
Chuck, were I going to do this, I'd probably use pattern routing to do the non-circular openings and quality drill bits for circular openings...and I'd build a same size mockup or two of the actual cigar box to prove out the design and cutting technique before risking on the actual project, given the nature of the item. Pattern routing would require a base on your tool and a collar that follows the pattern to guid the cutter. A trim router would normally be great for this; even a regular Dremel tool with a base could work. A rotozip, however, isn't a "fine cutting tool" and is unlikely to give you satisfaction.

Malcolm McLeod
11-11-2016, 10:31 AM
I suspect 2700 rpm is too slow for cleanly 'routed' cutouts, so I'll 2nd Jim's suggestion of the trim router or Dremel. As alternative, if hole sizes and positions allow for it, you might be well served by using a coping saw on any non-circular openings (LCD & USB). Just drill a starter hole and thread the blade to start.

A Uni-bit will quickly get you to the desired (circular) sizes for any cable grommets, cord-grips, or strain reliefs.