PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 1hp grinder toolrests

John K Jordan
11-11-2016, 8:01 AM
I bought a new Rikon 1hp "slow speed" grinder. Rikon forgot to put the hardware package in the box so they mailed to me the tool rests, bolts, brackets and other hardware.

the two tool rest platforms they sent are different from those pictured on the box and in the manual. Specifically, they are much shorter in length, more like those that came with the 1/2hp grinder.

Would someone with the same 1hp grinder kindly measure the tool rest platforms? If different than what I got I will contact Rikon about this. Thanks much.

JKJ

Brian Kent
11-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Width = 4.333"
Depth = 1.875"

edit: Adding a note - this arrived in the mail this week, so I assume it is the latest generation of the tool.

David Delo
11-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Mine is 4 5/16" X 1 7/8". Keep in mind that I bought mine when it first came out so maybe if your dimensions are different, they may have changed the spec.

John K Jordan
11-11-2016, 5:20 PM
Thanks Brian and David. That's enough for me to contact them. What they sent for the missing rests are much smaller.

JKJ

Reed Gray
11-12-2016, 1:46 AM
Threw mine away.... Removed the light also as it was too short, and didn't do much. I tool the rubber feet off to bolt it to a piece of plywood, and had to grind off 1/8 inch on one foot to get the thing to sit flat without rocking. Still a good grinder for the price. Oh, I had to make riser blocks for my wolverine set up instead of the grinder. I think they were 5/8 inch high.

robo hippy

John K Jordan
11-12-2016, 6:00 AM
Threw mine away.... Removed the light also as it was too short, and didn't do much. I tool the rubber feet off to bolt it to a piece of plywood, and had to grind off 1/8 inch on one foot to get the thing to sit flat without rocking. Still a good grinder for the price. Oh, I had to make riser blocks for my wolverine set up instead of the grinder. I think they were 5/8 inch high.

Yes, I don't plan to use the tool rests either but I want the right rests. I'll take off the grinding wheels, guards, rubber feet and light too, since I'll use this with a couple of CBN wheels and have far better lights. It sounds like we set up our lathe tool sharpening much the same way. Except I'm too cheap to buy a Roborest. :) (BTW, all three of the three Rikons I've seen had warped castings.)

But I do save all the parts I take off in case want to turn it back into a traditional grinder some day. I'll do exactly that with the grinder the new one will replace and move it to the metalworking room. (Is seven grinders in one shop too many?)

JKJ