PDA

View Full Version : Why am I losing detail.

Jeff Body
11-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Im trying to figure out why I'm losing my details.
I'm currently running a 60w at 300mm/s, 50%, and 600dpi. These settings produce a super nice even black on bigger stuff without any banding like the initials. But
I'm losing my details in the script.
If I try to up the power or slow it down the script becomes a black blob and "e" and "a" lose their centers.
I'm using cermark lm-6000 on a RTIC cup.
Any ideas?
Do I need more power?
I've seen people do portraits with cermark so I'm assuming it should be able to handle the detail.

And I have NO idea why my picture are turning. The show perfectly fine on my computer.

Kev Williams
11-10-2016, 11:45 PM
That fine of detail is tough for any laser to put down thru Cermark. The laser's just a blip going thru those spots.

Never fear, the fix is easy: Make the detail thicker..

Since Chinese lasers won't import Corel's thicker outlines, which would be the easy way, you have to thicken things up manually.

You do this with the "contour tool"...

I couldn't find your font on my computer, but I did find one with very thin lines (Normande BT), this is 24 point, so approx. 1/4" tall.

This is the basic look painted black--

This is outlined...

Using the contour tool, I added ONE contour, OUTside, .005".
this shows both the original and the new...

While it's still all grouped, you have to break it apart, either in the "arrange" tab, or by pressing CTRL+K...
Afterward, click on the original and move it or delete it. This is the thicker result outlined--

--and this is painted black. Now the thin lines should hopefully be thick enough to show up!
The change is quite obvious even in the thumbnails...

You can adjust the outline (or inline) distance as needed, just change it while the tool is still active, and it'll change on the fly.

This is all I have time for at the moment, and assumes you know the contour tool... if not, maybe someone can chime in, or I can help out later :)

Mike Null
11-11-2016, 8:36 AM
The answer is to avoid fonts such as that one when using Cermark. If you can't then Kev offers an option.

Show your customer other script fonts such as Ribbon or Brush script.

I avoid the fine line scripts when engraving into wood for color filling as well.