PDA

View Full Version : The crack is back

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-05-2005, 8:17 PM
The crack in the table top is back. A simple :mad: doesn't begin to describe my current mood. When I said I kinda wished I hadn't noticed it until we got to the show I really didn't mean it...but I guess that's what I've got now because the truck is loaded. :(

For perspective, FEMA approved something along the lines of 579,000 applications for Katrina disaster relief in Louisianna alone...so a crack in my silly table top is really quite trivial.

I hope some of you make it to the show...it should be a beautiful Hill Country weekend. :)

KC

Vaughn McMillan
10-05-2005, 8:56 PM
Kirk, on the grand scale of things, the crack may be minor, but that still doesn't lessen the pain you must be feeling now. I'm really sorry to hear it, especially having seen the progress of that table here. Do you see a potential way to fix it once you get back to the shop?

Funny how perspective can help in these situations...I know firsthand. I broke my back on Sept. 9, 2001. Watching the events on Sept. 11 unfold from a hospital bed, I realized I didn't have it nearly as bad as a lot of people. Looks like you had a similar realization.

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
10-05-2005, 9:02 PM
That stinks KC. Sorry to hear that. It will still probably be the hit of the show.

Corey

Mike Johnson - Chicago
10-05-2005, 9:03 PM
I think this is how/when "craftsman" decided that the butterfly key was a decorative feature :)

Jim Becker
10-05-2005, 9:25 PM
Well, that's a bummer, so just turn it into a feature. "Yes, sir, there is a crack in the top, but it's a common feature of authentic Mesquite." ;)

Keith Burns
10-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Major BUMMER ! I do like Mikes idea of the butterflys. Jim's idea might pass?? I don't know anything about mesquite (yet) but is this common?

Steve Clardy
10-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Real disappointment I bet. You'll get it fixed though KC.

Jason Tuinstra
10-05-2005, 11:34 PM
KC, I say go with Jim's approach. And then tell them that you won't charge them more for the added feature. :D Have a good show!

Dan Forman
10-06-2005, 4:12 AM
Sorry to hear the latest news, hope you can find a way to get around it.

Dan

John Lucas
10-06-2005, 4:39 AM
Your ad and pitch: "Please notice that mesquite wood is not only difficult to work but will offer the owner some added beauty and naturalness from time to time with cracks of this nature. You can always call me and I will fill over with black epozy and the buff out. The cost of such followup is usually $300 to 500 dollars. Most owners like to leave it natural, just as God intended. Fortunately Noah didnt use mesquite."

Gail O'Rourke
10-06-2005, 7:32 AM
Kirk, I have followed your posts on this and that is horrible. Can you flip the top over? Good luck, you fixing your stuff, helps the rest of us learn, so keep us informed.

Michael Gabbay
10-06-2005, 8:11 AM
Kirk - The top is posessed. Next thing you know it will be spinning. :eek:

It is frustrating when you work so hard on a piece and something like this happens.

Mike

Earl Kelly
10-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Kirk, if the crack is very tight or thin use regular or thin super glue and activator. If the crack has a little width to it rub it full of very fine wood dust then use the glue, it'll absorb into the wood dust and fill it up. You'll probably have to recoat the top again. That should fix your crack, unless, it has an abundance of natural oil in the crack, preventing the glue from doing it's job.