PDA

View Full Version : The Floating Credenza - Base Frame

Brian Holcombe
11-10-2016, 9:29 AM
Good morning! The Floating Credenza is now residing at New Hope Arts gallery in New Hope, PA but it is not quite completed in it's electronic form. This post details the process of building the base frame for the credenza. I was hesitant in building a baseframe but ultimately happy that I did so, upon seeing the gallery I quickly realized that installing a cabinet into a wall was quite impractical. I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/11/10/the-floating-credenza-base-frame/

Prashun Patel
11-10-2016, 9:51 AM
Can't wait to see it finished, live on Saturday.

I like the center stretcher and appreciate the pains you took to make it look lighter. I also find very tasteful the reveals between the divider and case. I also really like that you have to get on your knees to see the dovetailing from the case to the bottom.

(at the risk of sounding pretentious): the piece just keeps revealing itself with more, rich, refined details as you inspect it deeper. It's commendable how you can make such a stunning impact with subtlety.

Nicely done, again.

Brian Holcombe
11-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks Prashun! I appreciate the high praise and thanks as well for spotting the many details I work toward.

Looking forward to Saturday, should be a lot of fun!

Oskar Sedell
11-10-2016, 12:15 PM
very nice Brian! As usual a joy to read your blog.

How did you reason when choosing wood for the base? (cherry as well, right?) If I were to dye or stain the base black I'd be tempted to use a simpler/cheaper wood.

Pat Barry
11-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks Prashun! I appreciate the high praise and thanks as well for spotting the many details I work toward.

Looking forward to Saturday, should be a lot of fun!
Sounds like it will be an interesting display. Hoping maybe you can snap some photo's of the other works presented or send a link to the website that might have them.

By the way, just watched the embedded video of the chopping process. I like your confidence!. If that were me I'm sure I would have broken my thumb with a mishit. I usually reach for a mallet with a bigger head just to be safe :)

Prashun, what did you make for the show?

Prashun Patel
11-10-2016, 12:51 PM
I didn't publicize it because I submitted in the 11th hour, on a lark. After I learned THIS was going to be in, I considered pulling mine from the show.

But I figured, even if I don't get to be king at this prom, I can still skulk around the punch table and stare at the pretty girls ;)

It's really not worthy, so I didn't post a link up here.

James Pallas
11-10-2016, 1:11 PM
Superior!
Jim

James Pallas
11-10-2016, 1:16 PM
I didn't publicize it because I submitted in the 11th hour, on a lark. After I learned THIS was going to be in, I considered pulling mine from the show.

But I figured, even if I don't get to be king at this prom, I can still skulk around the punch table and stare at the pretty girls ;)

Prashun
All work is worth at least a look. If you made the cut for the show it must be good. Put in another thread with your work please.
Jim

Christopher Charles
11-10-2016, 3:45 PM
Hello Brian,

The black was an excellent choice. The contrast both highlights the case and puts the base into the background. Can you tell us more about the dye you used?

Best of luck on Saturday.

Christopher Charles
11-10-2016, 3:47 PM
Prashun,

I'll be more blunt: Don't be ridiculous. Cough up some pictures :)

I've always enjoyed seeing your work and I'm sure others will as well.

Zuye Zheng
11-10-2016, 7:47 PM
Love the gouged end grain, might have to give that a try.

Brian Holcombe
11-10-2016, 10:25 PM
very nice Brian! As usual a joy to read your blog.

How did you reason when choosing wood for the base? (cherry as well, right?) If I were to dye or stain the base black I'd be tempted to use a simpler/cheaper wood.

Thanks Oskar! I had cherry on-hand, and it's about the same price as many other tight grained hardwoods so I stuck with that.

Sounds like it will be an interesting display. Hoping maybe you can snap some photo's of the other works presented or send a link to the website that might have them.

By the way, just watched the embedded video of the chopping process. I like your confidence!. If that were me I'm sure I would have broken my thumb with a mishit. I usually reach for a mallet with a bigger head just to be safe :)

Prashun, what did you make for the show?

Thanks Pat! The right length handle helps a lot in making sure you hit the mark.

Bah, I'm sure it's beautiful!

Superior!
Jim

Thank you!

Hello Brian,

The black was an excellent choice. The contrast both highlights the case and puts the base into the background. Can you tell us more about the dye you used?

Best of luck on Saturday.

Thank you! The dye is alcohol based leather dye by Fiebings, worked out very well.

Love the gouged end grain, might have to give that a try.

Thank you!

Phil Mueller
11-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Well done Brian. I see it as a very complimentary "display stand", more so than a permanent base...but, either way it works nicely. Really like the gouge texture...need to get a few gouges soon...something for the Christmas list.

Stewie Simpson
11-10-2016, 11:33 PM
The Fiebings Leather Dye is an excellent product. I just finished using the Chocolate Brown to stain up a Huon Pine Sharpening Stone Box that's near completion. It penetrates into the oily wood extremely well. Rest easy gents. Its not Birds Eye Huon Pine. All that's left to do is apply the black water seal caulking around the outside of stone. Very nice work with the Floating Credenza Base, Brian. I have my my fingers crossed you will take out 1st prize. Best of luck for next year Prashun.

Stewie;

Brian Holcombe
11-11-2016, 8:16 AM
Well done Brian. I see it as a very complimentary "display stand", more so than a permanent base...but, either way it works nicely. Really like the gouge texture...need to get a few gouges soon...something for the Christmas list.

Thanks Phil! It could still be wall mounted if the need arose, and the base then removed with only a small hint of having existed, so I certainly agree. A base like the one on the Butler's Desk seems a bit more permanent.

It's lucky that I made the base, the gallery has little to no clear wall space. They have large windows on both sides.

The Fiebings Leather Dye is an excellent product. I just finished using the Chocolate Brown to stain up a Huon Pine Sharpening Stone Box that's near completion. It penetrates into the oily wood extremely well. Rest easy gents. Its not Birds Eye Huon Pine. All that's left to do is apply the black water seal caulking around the outside of stone. Very nice work with the Floating Credenza Base, Brian. I have my my fingers crossed you will take out 1st prize. Best of luck for next year Prashun.

Stewie;

Thanks Stewie, and glad to hear that you are also using the same dye with success. I actually attempted to plane off some of the dyed surface on a test piece and was very surprised at how deep it goes.

I think they've already chosen the winners, and so I have a feeling I haven't won anything, unfortunately. Winning to me is unimportant, instead I want to meet people interested in future commission work. :D

Stewie Simpson
11-11-2016, 6:36 PM
Brian; the following shows what colour you can achieve with the Fiebing's Chocolate. When the stained finish is later burnished and waxed it will reflect, rather than absorb light. Stewie;

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/sharpening%20stone%20box/_DSC0276_zpsiwifnlio.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/sharpening%20stone%20box/_DSC0276_zpsiwifnlio.jpg.html)

Phil Mueller
11-11-2016, 9:39 PM
Stewie, please post a photo when you get it burnished and waxed...would love to see the final product.

Brian Holcombe
11-12-2016, 8:03 AM
Excellent, that is very nice looking.

david charlesworth
11-13-2016, 5:50 AM
This is beautiful work.

Are you sure that mineral oil has no bad effect on gluing?

David

Stewie Simpson
11-13-2016, 6:01 AM
David; if your referring to my work, there are no glued joints. The box has been mortised out as 2 halves to house the stone.

Stewie;

Brian Holcombe
11-13-2016, 8:47 AM
This is beautiful work.

Are you sure that mineral oil has no bad effect on gluing?

David

Thanks David! Good to hear from you! The specific oil that I use actually evaporates, so it should have no effect on gluing. Still, just like an airplane pilot, I am a fan of redundancies so I pinned the joints but forgot that I had done so when writing the post.