PDA

View Full Version : Derek Cohen's Tenon Guide

Phil Mueller
11-10-2016, 7:52 AM
Thanks and all credit goes to Derek for this nifty little tool for those of us looking to gain some accuracy in our tenon cuts. I found this while surfing Derek's blog; In The Woodshop, and as he kindly and sympathetically notes, it's a great tool for those of us challenged by a straight saw cut.

For those interested, please visit his blog, but here's a brief build:

The components (sans hardware)

I started by creating the mortise in the sliding top piece:
347233 347234

I then squared up and glued/screwed together the "L" of the main body:

The "tenon" was attached and "through mortise" drilled and filed:

Continued....

Phil Mueller
11-10-2016, 8:00 AM
The "magnet" holder was marked out, drilled, and magnets glued in:

Side guides and matching through bolt hole completed:

Side guide added to main body:

Magnetic piece glued to main body; two part tool now complete:

And it works great:

This design also helps guide the remaining cuts as well, but my main need was for the cheek cuts.
It was a quick and fun build; just a few scraps and some found hardware.

Again, all credit to Derek, with my thanks!

I should note, that I reversed a few things to make this left handed

Derek Cohen
11-10-2016, 8:12 AM
Well done Phil!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark AJ Allen
11-10-2016, 9:19 AM
I'm also made one. The only small improvement I suggest is to put a small rebate or relief at the bottom of the saw guide portion to ensure your saw set doesn't chew it up at the beginning of your cut.

Joe A Faulkner
11-11-2016, 8:33 PM
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reviewing Derek's site (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/TenonGuide.html). I'm curious as to how much the magnets contribute?

Phil Mueller
11-11-2016, 9:22 PM
Joe, I do believe it could work without the magnets by just keeping the plate firmly up against the fence, but the magnets add a good deal of reassurance (aka idiot proof :)).

Patrick Chase
11-11-2016, 10:08 PM
That's a slick little guide. Nice job to both you and Derek.

w.r.t. the issue of "straigtness challenge" for cheek cuts, one thing that helped me was to stop treating it as a single cut. I find it easier to cut straight in two dimensions if I work down guidelines along both at the same time. In other words, I use a pair of diagonal cuts followed by a vertical "cleanup cut" to waste the remaining triangle. I had seen that in a number of books/articles, but I had to learn why the hard way.

Glen Canaday
11-11-2016, 10:17 PM
...but I had to learn why the hard way.

Is there another way to learn? Heh heh!