PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Nicks

Wayne Lomman
11-10-2016, 7:29 AM
Sitting here in Adelaide on my own after work watching Stevie singing Landslide. Is it breaking the religion ban to say her music brings me closer to the higher powers than anything or anyone else? She is the greatest. Where's that box of tissues... Cheers

Prashun Patel
11-10-2016, 7:46 AM
It makes you a white witch.

Wayne Lomman
11-10-2016, 8:05 AM
I'll live with that. Just saw her singing Rhiannon. I can go to sleep happy now. Cheers

Prashun Patel
11-10-2016, 8:40 AM
You should see American Horror Story Season 4 (I think): Coven. Stevie Nicks is featured and honored.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2016, 11:10 AM
She has a distinctive quality about her voice. Rhiannon....... the first country song I learned to like was by a female vocalist.....Jolene by Dolly Parton. Her voice in that song just grabs my attention! Only song I find special by her but it grabs me. Some songs and singers do that.

Mike Henderson
11-10-2016, 11:44 AM
I like her "Dreams"

Mike

Bill McNiel
11-10-2016, 1:03 PM
I have been a Fleetwood Mac fan forever. Back in 1979-80 I designed and built two homes in Santa Monica Canyon, one for Stevie and one next door for her manager. An interesting experience to say the least, but certainly not religious.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2016, 1:28 PM
I love music from the Fleetwood Mac era. Rhiannon, Dreams, You make Lovin' fun, Tusk, Don't Stop, and on and on.

It's amazing how some songs like that are almost seductive! Another artist and single song "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles, from the movie "Standing in the shadows of Motown" , "What's Become OF The Broken Hearted" by Joan Osborne......

Literally these songs have a seductive quality to them. The vocals are just incredible.

Though I am deaf, every day I celebrate my cochlear implant and being able to hear human voices again....and music though it's at a reduced quality.

Mac McQuinn
11-10-2016, 2:22 PM
Stevie has certainly stood the test of time, that said, Allison Krauss's voice with her effortless delivery works for me every time I hear any of her songs.
Mac

Wayne Lomman
11-10-2016, 2:59 PM
I have been a Fleetwood Mac fan forever. Back in 1979-80 I designed and built two homes in Santa Monica Canyon, one for Stevie and one next door for her manager. An interesting experience to say the least, but certainly not religious.
Yes, it just goes to show that it's not a good idea to know one's god or goddess too intimately as the polish tends to wear off. That said, there is a quality to her music and poetry that gets to me every time. There are many artists that have 1 or 2 songs that can do this to me but Stevie gets through every time.
I have been a Fleetwood Mac fan forever but never had the opportunity to see them live. The DVD I watched was The Dream from 1997. Now I have to pay for staying up too late to watch it all. Cheers

Wayne Lomman
11-10-2016, 3:04 PM
I love music from the Fleetwood Mac era. Rhiannon, Dreams, You make Lovin' fun, Tusk, Don't Stop, and on and on.

It's amazing how some songs like that are almost seductive! Another artist and single song "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles, from the movie "Standing in the shadows of Motown" , "What's Become OF The Broken Hearted" by Joan Osborne......

Literally these songs have a seductive quality to them. The vocals are just incredible.

Though I am deaf, every day I celebrate my cochlear implant and being able to hear human voices again....and music though it's at a reduced quality.
Ken, Black Velvet is a great song. My wife is awaiting ear surgery. Music drives her nuts these days because all she can hear is the drums as all the rest is out of her range. Cheers

Prashun Patel
11-10-2016, 3:25 PM
WHAT?! Back the truck up, Bill. That's amazing. What was interesting? Did she have good taste?

Scott Donley
11-10-2016, 5:12 PM
I saw Stevie Nicks doing a song with Talor Swift on tv, man Stevie made Talor look bad, but I do love Stevie Nicks.

Bruce Page
11-10-2016, 5:45 PM
I always loved Fleetwood Mac. I saw them live on my 29th birthday in 1979 when they were on their Tusk tour. Great music.

Mike Cutler
11-10-2016, 6:53 PM
Wayne
Fleetwood Mac is fantastic, and Stevie Nicks has certainly achieved icon status.
You should pick up a copy of the Nicks/Buckingham.Buckingham/Nicks album. If you don't already have it.
It was never released in the US, only in Australia.

Phil Mueller
11-10-2016, 7:41 PM
Count me in as a fan of Fleetwood Mac. A few years back they came through Detroit and were re-joined by Christine McVie. A really great concert. My wife is a huge fan of Stevie...I, frankly, prefer Christine's voice. I still regard their earliest albums (pre-Stevie/Lindsey) as some of my all time favorites. Lindsey is a remarkable guitar player...

Wayne Lomman
11-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Phil, I agree with you about Lindsay's guitar playing. His guitar looks unlike any other I can recall. Tonight's project is to see what I can find out about it. It seems quite small and cut away above the neck as well as below. Cheers

Stewie Simpson
11-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Wayne; I hope your not drinking that South Australian Southwark Beer. It bound to upset your stomach and give you nightmares.

Stewie;

Wayne Lomman
11-11-2016, 8:05 AM
Stewie, no I don't drink the stuff! I'm sure they badly recycle the stuff from the treatment works, bottle it and tell everyone it is great. Being from the north of Tasmania there is only one beer - Boags. The southerners can have their Cascade. Truth be told, I can't drink any of it any more - for some reason even half a stubbie gives me an almost instant migraine. Cheers

Shawn Pixley
11-11-2016, 9:56 AM
Sorry, not much of a Stevie Nicks fan here. The Rumors album was great. I think that Stevie brought out the best (and the worst) in Lindsey Buckingham.

Wayne Lomman
11-12-2016, 6:36 AM
Sorry, not much of a Stevie Nicks fan here. The Rumors album was great. I think that Stevie brought out the best (and the worst) in Lindsey Buckingham.

Yes, as I said earlier, it never pays to get to know your god/goddess too closely - they all have flaws despite what the true believers want to think. I just love the music of her voice and the poetry of her lyrics. Cheers

Chris Parks
11-12-2016, 7:35 AM
Stevie has certainly stood the test of time, that said, Allison Krauss's voice with her effortless delivery works for me every time I hear any of her songs.
Mac

I have to agree with that, great voice, wonderful presentation and easy on the eyes.

Tim Bridge
11-12-2016, 8:07 AM
Fleetwood Mac was much better before Buckinghan and Nicks joined.
Buchinghan is a good guitar player but Nicks voice is droning.

Bill McNiel
11-12-2016, 3:42 PM
WHAT?! Back the truck up, Bill. That's amazing. What was interesting? Did she have good taste?

Sorry for the delay but I've been pondering how to appropriately respond. I am not really comfortable "telling stories out of school" as "facts" frequently get distorted and we all know what happens to a tale as it is passed on and subsequently embellished. I also believe strongly in a client's privacy. So here is what I care to share....

In the 70s my firm (Architecture & Construction) was located in central Beverly Hills and focused primarily on custom residential projects on the west side of LA (traffic was too ugly to travel east) although at one point we had done 5 retail stores on Beverly Drive and Canon Drive. We were contracted to design and build four spec. homes on five beautiful acres just off Sunset Blvd in Santa Monica Canyon. As we were performing site planning and preliminary design, three of the lots were put into custom contracts by the developer. The first to John & Julie Forsythe (John had been the lead in the 1950s TV series"Bachelor Father" and was the voice of the then current TV nighttime soap "Dallas") and the other two to Stevie Nicks & her manager. Years later Arnold Schwarzenegger bought all four completed residences and created a gated compound.

As a long time fan, I was really excited about meeting Ms Nicks and designing/building a home for her. As fate would have it, Fleetwood Mac was on the Tusk Tour for the majority of the process. Great for them but not so much for me. I met with her a couple of times and can only describe these sessions as "strangely interesting". Beautiful woman, very talented, flowing garments, unusual necklace and in need of an interpreter to communicate. I was so looking forward to meeting the real Stevie and sharing the experience of creating a home but that never really happened. Nothing evil at all and I was personally relieved when she entered a rehab program a few years later. Her state of mind and body at the time was clairified in a documentary many years later and helped me understand some of what had occurred during this period.

Stevie and Fleetwood Mac remain one of my all time favorites.

Justin Ludwig
11-12-2016, 5:39 PM
I grew up to my Mom spinning Fleetwood Mac. It's quite the nostalgic band for me.

Watch "Sound City", a documentary by Dave Grohl of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, and you'll get a greater appreciation of Stevie and Lindsey in their early years pre-Fleetwood.

Wayne Lomman
11-12-2016, 7:09 PM
Bill, that's a great story. It is all the better for your respect for her privacy. On top of this you have stayed a fan. Cheers