PDA

View Full Version : Plane book

Tom Krueger
11-08-2016, 7:06 PM
Hey, was wondering if you guys could tell me of any good books about hand planes? I mean like what are all the different numbers(sizes) you guys are always referring to, and the uses for each size. Also having info on the right way to tear them down to refinish, and get them tuned up really good. Like I have, I think, three planes that are all almost exactly the same size except for width. Why? Would really like to find out some things. Until now about all I've used them for is to get rid of saw marks.
Thanks

Nicholas Lawrence
11-08-2016, 7:13 PM
Tom, there are a lot of good books on planes, but one of the best resources is free. Google "blood and gore", which is a website maintained by a tool dealer named Patrick Leach. It has all of the numbers for the Stanley planes, and a description of what they are used for.

Brent Cutshall
11-08-2016, 7:28 PM
The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack. Explains them all.

Jerry Olexa
11-08-2016, 8:13 PM
Ditto on Hack's book..excellent!

Bill Houghton
11-08-2016, 8:35 PM
I also suggest, "Planecraft," a British book now out of print but available used for not much (get the Hampton and Clifford original, not the Sainsbury re-make). It makes a good complement to Hack's book.

New woodworkers often focus on planes - they do tend to be seen as representing hand woodworking. Keep in mind that you'll want to learn how to use other tools, too, and that even a simple tool like a chisel has subtleties that need learning; and that these other tools are often extremely important in getting the work done.

Randy Karst
11-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Double ditto on Hack's book-beautiful!

Tom Krueger
11-09-2016, 5:51 AM
Thanks guys. Hack's book looks like a good one. Can get a used one from Barnes and Noble pretty reasonable. Will definitely order one. Also saved the blood and gore article to my reading list, haven't had time to read the whole thing yet, what I have read is awesome.

Dave Parkis
11-09-2016, 9:08 AM
I also think the Hack book is great, but another you might find helpful is "Coarse, medium and fine" by Schwartz

Joe A Faulkner
11-11-2016, 8:19 PM
My local library carries Hack's book. You might check yours out.