PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping question

greg Forster
11-08-2016, 7:00 PM
what are some good landscape DESIGN forums?;

...and a question about landscaping in my yard; there are two trees in front of my house, Bradford Pear types, which I'm going to remove.

What would make my house appear farther from the road (it is actually about 85' from road .. 347156 347157
take out the Bradford Pears and not replace with trees, just leave all in lawn, or low shrubs or large trees again?
My preference is starting at the house, just lawn and then the stone wall and then existing Crepe Myrtle and Dogwood out by the road.

also, the front of the house faces almost due North, so shade from the trees is not an important issue

Bill McNiel
11-08-2016, 8:00 PM
Greg,
Beautiful, old school looking property. Harkens back to a time when home was a Home.

FWIW- I would plant trees, bushes and/or hedge material close to the rock wall in order to create a sound and visual barrier from the street. It doesn't have to be a "wall" just a major disruption of visual and audial intrusions.

No help on landscaping site, sorry - Bill

Mel Fulks
11-08-2016, 8:11 PM
I would improve the drive way. Add some flanking gate posts to it and widen it at the road to create"forced perspective". A
walk way to front door ,also wider at road would would help ,too. I understand that is not real practical since guests probably arrive by car. Lining it with tall skinny trees would help too.

Ted Calver
11-09-2016, 10:44 AM
I don't know of any design forums, but maybe some of the gardening forums would help. Some random thoughts. Where is north? Is the stone wall a fence or retaining wall? Where are your front and side property lines? Who owns the property between the wall and the road? I see power lines, which usually carry an easement and planting restrictions. If there is room, consider Bill's buffer suggestion. Perhaps a row of 'Natchez' Crepe Myrtle 20' on center in front of the wall... backed by some low growing evergreen shrubs interspersed with some color from knock out roses. Maybe carry the myrtles down the driveway. Plant selection really depends on where you are in the southeast. Lots of different possibilities and most nurseries offer free design services if you buy the plant material from them.

Greg R Bradley
11-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Go to Gardenweb (gardenweb.com), then choose Garden Forums, then choose Landscape Design.

Since this has nothing to do with woodworking, I assume a link is OK:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/design

Malcolm McLeod
11-09-2016, 1:11 PM
Maybe carry the myrtles down the driveway.

Don't put Crepe Myrtles anywhere you are going to park a car. UGLY all over the car! (If you must, either use dwarfs or keep them pruned very small.)

greg Forster
11-09-2016, 7:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions; I like the idea of "opening the driveway up" and the posts; the front of the house faces North( my photos are taken looking South; the stone wall is a retaining wall. everything in the photos is my property ( on South side of the road) Crepe Myrtles sound good too- across the front (not an easement issue if I keep them medium height.) I added another photo that is to the left of driveway- Crepe Myrtles grow well here
What do you think about removing the two Bradford pears in front of the house and leaving that just lawn, then a row of crepe M. between the stone wall and the road?

I checked out Gardenweb- thats going to keep me busy for a while 347218

Mel Fulks
11-09-2016, 9:59 PM
Since your stated purpose is to make the house look like its farther from the road, I would remove the Bradford Pears.
Still think skinny trees are best for this job. Crepe Myrtles are now available in different sizes. In you decide that's what you want I'd get a small variety. No fun trying to keep big varieties small.

Ted Calver
11-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Good point about crepe myrtles and cars. They will also stain concrete. Here's a really good guide to crepe myrtle varieties.
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/trees/hgic1023.html
Just be sure you follow the link on this page to individual cultivars....they have varying resistance to powdery mildew and varying growth habits. Natchez is a 20'-25' arching tree with white flowers and beautiful cinnamon and cream bark that provides added winter interest. It's been a favorite of mine for many years.

These were twelve feet tall when planted and had been in the ground for two years in 2011.
Here's what one looked like early this year.
They are a great buffer between the house and street and give peek-a-boo privacy, but have shaded out the lawn. Choose whatever planting you do with the house view in mind. If you want to maintain a full view of the house from the street something smaller and narrower would work better.

If you have a state extension service, check it out. They usually have lists of various kinds of plant materials suitable for your area. Here's a sample for NC.
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/small-and-intermediate-trees-for-north-carolina

Mel Fulks
11-10-2016, 10:09 AM
I forgot to say the Bradford pears have a reputation of breaking and falling on houses.But save the wood!