PDA

View Full Version : New Saw Moved Into My Stable!

Dick Brown
11-08-2016, 1:04 PM
Don't ask me why but I sold a "Craftsman Floor Saw" a few weeks ago to a 15 year old girl that is interested in woodworking and yesterday bought another one to take it's place. The one I sold had a Biesemeyer Home Shop clone fence, powder coated paint job, original miter gauge, both wings etc. New one has no fence, no miter gauge, no wings, needs paint and drove 200 miles to get it. Anyone ever tell you I was bright????
Please don't post anything negative!!! LOL.Dick

Eric Commarato
11-08-2016, 1:10 PM
Well, I think it is noble that you are starting her in woodworking. That is the thing we lack most in schools today is shop class and industrial arts programs. Kids now don't have a clue how to fix or make anything...As for your new saw, at least you can buy after market to soup it up!

Dick Brown
11-08-2016, 2:02 PM
Eric,
I agree that the industrial arts classes are not offered anymore as they should be to give the kids a choice in what routes to follow in life.
I taught shop class for 11 years (mostly welding) and have had the pleasure of seeing some of my students go into the profession and do well.
As for the saw, I will make a Bies. clone fence, find a Craftsman or narrow the bar on another brand miter gauge to fit the Craftsman slot, clean, repair anything needed, and paint with Rustoleum Hammered and that leaves finding table wings.I saw mentioned some where of cutting down and using another table saw top for that but only way I see it would work would be to cut at the miter slots and weld the two side sections together, less center section. Welding cast iron and keeping it flat is a real challenge! Would welcome any other thoughts from anyone on the wing issue.
Thanks,
Dick

George Bokros
11-08-2016, 2:06 PM
Hope her parents were in on the sale. They may be a little upset if she cuts herself the first time she uses it.

Dick Brown
11-08-2016, 2:19 PM
George,

Her dad brought her and was very much into the whole thing. Said he wanted to get a saw with good fence, safety paddle switch, etc.
I mentioned SawStop to them but they wanted this one. Very responsible acting girl and aware of the dangers, with her dad very much involved. She sent me pictures of wooden spoons that she makes. Very nice looking work.

John Lankers
11-08-2016, 3:13 PM
Look at the bright side, you helped a young person getting started with what might become a career one day and even though she will probably not own this saw forever but she will remember it.

George Bokros
11-08-2016, 3:50 PM
George,

Her dad brought her and was very much into the whole thing. Said he wanted to get a saw with good fence, safety paddle switch, etc.
I mentioned SawStop to them but they wanted this one. Very responsible acting girl and aware of the dangers, with her dad very much involved. She sent me pictures of wooden spoons that she makes. Very nice looking work.

Glad her Dad was involved.

Mike Heidrick
11-08-2016, 4:50 PM
Ill look but i might have a webed ci wing you can have for shipping. Might be outside though.

Dick Brown
11-08-2016, 5:21 PM
Mike,
That would be very generous of you! If you would look (at your leisure) and give me an estimate of what it weighs, would be nice. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the U.S.! (Central Oregon) Bought an old Flex Drive the other day that had web wings for $25 but turned around and sold it or I would have cannibalized the wings. Oh well, win a few, lose a few.

John K Jordan
11-08-2016, 7:03 PM
Eric,
I agree that the industrial arts classes are not offered anymore as they should be to give the kids a choice in what routes to follow in life.
I taught shop class for 11 years (mostly welding)...

With the sad loss of these kinds of educational opportunity I applaud everyone who does what they can to help a young person.

I got started with wood when I was about 15 - an old man from our church took the time and shared his shop to teach me some basics and help me make my first things. Taught me the "measure twice" mantra too! I get a lot of satisfaction in passing on what I can, mostly woodturning, but also carving, flat wood, and welding. My new shop is perfect for this! BTW, French-style rolling pins are great project for younger kids, especially when they make a Christmas present for mommy.

347151 347152 347153 347154

Another thing going by the wayside is engine, auto, mechanical things. I am amazed at the "millennials" and older I meet who don't know how to check tire pressures, oil levels, or figure out simple mechanical things. They are quite proficient Snapchat and Facebook though...

JKJ

John Sanford
11-08-2016, 8:50 PM
Sounds to me that you like to rehabilitate old saws and send them forth into the world again to resume their wood chompin' ways. Little wrong and a lot right about that.

Dick Brown
11-08-2016, 9:24 PM
John,
You have it figured right about my hobby of refurbishing old table saws. Lots of money in it, like maybe even as high as $5.00 an hour for my time, not counting mileage, the lights, taxes, sand paper, tool replacement, bolts, screws etc. Don't know why a lot of other guys aren't into it? Seriously though, I have always liked to make something that was old and tired back to being useable again. (Now if I could figure out how to make this 82 year old tired body work like new again!!!) Went to the doc today and he said I am doing well. Think maybe he meant 'cause I could pay the bill.
Dick