PDA

View Full Version : Proud new parent: 14" and 1500lbs

Dan Friedrichs
11-08-2016, 12:34 PM
A few months ago, I decided I’d had enough frustration with my little 6” jointer, and started looking to replace it (and my planer) with an A3-31 (jointer/planer combo). I figured it would be a good stepping stone into Euro-style machinery, and then maybe, some day FAR into the future, I’d be at the point of considering a sliding table saw.

Well, turns out the Felder was having a “60th anniversary sale”, and I could get the C3-31 (4-function combo machine) for about 2x what the A3-31 costs, alone. The C3-31 sale package also comes with a spiral cutterhead on the jointer/planer, which is an expensive upgrade on the A3-31. The sale price on the C3-31 with this “comfort” accessories package is $9,995, delivered.

Seemed like a rare opportunity to do a radical upgrade to the quality of my equipment, so after being put in touch with a local owner who kindly invited me over to see his C3-31, I pulled the trigger on it.

Felder definitely hasn’t quite figured out the “customer is always right” customer service mentality we have in the US :), but they were easy enough to work with and very efficient. Their time estimates for delivery were spot on, they knew exactly which (serial number) machine was being built for me and exactly where it was at. They had scheduled update emails sent to me to let me know what was going on, etc. They were REALLY on top of it. They sent me a nice catalog to peruse while waiting, and I think I have engineering textbooks that are thinner than this catalog…

ABF delivered the machine on a lift gate truck, with no damage and no problems. Their tracking was great and delivery estimate on-time.

The equipment I had before was nothing special, but it was adjusted/aligned/maintained to the point that I could do decent work with it. Decades ago, my dad got into woodworking and had a shop of Craftsman tools (which, obviously, have neither aged well nor were that great, to begin with). My old table saw, jointer, planer, and router table got re-located to my dad’s shop, so I feel good knowing that it all went to a “good home”, and I feel even better knowing that he won’t be trying to cut rough lumber on a wobbly table saw with a dull blade and crooked fence, any longer :)

Looks like I have some un-crating and setup to attend to…

Matt Day
11-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Sweet! You've got quite a machine there! Congrats

Andy Giddings
11-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Congrats, Dan - enjoy the unwrapping and setup

Brian Tymchak
11-08-2016, 12:47 PM
wow, green with envy! Congrats!

Brian Tymchak
11-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Funny how this works -- I see a C3-41 for sale in the classifieds this morning... can't remember the last time something like that came up in the classifieds.

Rod Sheridan
11-08-2016, 3:01 PM
Very nice Dan, enjoy...............Regards, Rod.

Ted Diehl
11-08-2016, 4:26 PM
Enjoy your Felder Combo. I got sucked into the 60th Anniversary sale and bought the Hammer K3. Half the battle was getting it off the pallet and getting rid of the crating material. As for your Combo Machine, check and see if you can find a youtube video on the un-crating and assembly otherwise you will spend hours trying to read the manual and trying to understand what they are talking about. Felder makes great products and the Hammer stuff aint too bad either. All the best

Jim Becker
11-08-2016, 4:28 PM
Congratulations! Very nice addition/upgrade for your shop!

Mike Heidrick
11-08-2016, 4:46 PM
Outstanding! Congrats!

Dan Friedrichs
11-08-2016, 5:58 PM
Slowly getting it unpacked...

The crate must have had $50 worth of GRK screws in it!

Jim Becker
11-08-2016, 7:56 PM
The screws are understandable as they want to be absolutely sure stuff stays where they put it during transit...and we all know how "gently" freight is sometimes handled... ;)

Dan Friedrichs
11-08-2016, 8:17 PM
Yep, for sure. I'm not complaining - free screws :)

mreza Salav
11-08-2016, 8:26 PM
That's a sweet looking machine. Congrat's!

John Sanford
11-08-2016, 9:03 PM
Congrats Papa, here's hoping the new baby starts spitting up projects right soon!

Rod Sheridan
11-09-2016, 7:59 AM
Slowly getting it unpacked...

The crate must have had $50 worth of GRK screws in it!

LOL, Dan, when I unpacked my machine I was convinced the shipper in Austria was paid per staple and screw..................Regards, Rod.