PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Have never seen the voting site so packed

Brian Tymchak
11-08-2016, 7:34 AM
The parking lot at our YMCA was completely full, the access road to the YMCA was full with parking both sides, and there was a waiting line of cars to turn in from the main road. I've never seen such a large turnout. Ended up driving on past and will try again after work.

Robert Payne
11-08-2016, 7:41 AM
Took me 20 minutes this morning (6:50 - 7:10). Here's hoping the OP gets back and votes.

John K Jordan
11-08-2016, 7:47 AM
I was worried about that here so I went on the last day of early voting - no waiting. My wife is headed out now. Maybe she should take a folding chair and a lunch!

Rod Sheridan
11-08-2016, 8:01 AM
Wow, that has to be a good sign for voter turnout.

In my opinion, the higher the better.

Good luck today my friends, hopefully you'll select the best choice for your country..............regards, Rod.

Matt Day
11-08-2016, 8:30 AM
And that's why I voted by mail!

It shouldn't be like that - it discourages people from voting.

Malcolm McLeod
11-08-2016, 8:47 AM
And that's why I voted by mail!

There will likely be a crush at opening bell, at lunch, and at closing. The same precinct may have no line at all during off peak?

Shouldn't be like that...?? With absentee ballots, mail-in, early voting, and some even advocating for internet voting, it has gotten very easy.

I heard an interesting argument that we make voting too easy. For the sake of brevity, the premise was the easier it is to vote, the less contemplation and seriousness the voter applies to the decision.

Regardless, GO VOTE!! If you don't, you surely get the government you deserve. (No politics, just civic duty.)

Robert Delhommer Sr
11-08-2016, 9:04 AM
Thank God I voted the last day of early voting. What ever you do please do go back & vote. This is probably the most important election in the history of our great country. The entire future of our children & grand children depends on the outcome of this election.

Matt Day
11-08-2016, 9:35 AM
The entire future of our children & grand children depends on the outcome of this election.

That might be pushing it a bit. No matter who is elected they will surround themselves with experts and there are checks and balances.

And yes Malcolm, I don't think you should have to wait so long or go back multiple times to try and vote. There are a lot of people who can't vote by mail and can't get off work to vote. In the OP's state he could have voted by mail but still. At some point we'll be able to vote securely on our phone. All I'm saying is i want everyone to be able to vote.

Curt Harms
11-08-2016, 9:53 AM

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Matt Day http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2621526#post2621526)

That might be pushing it a bit. No matter who is elected they will surround themselves with experts and there are checks and balances.

And yes Malcolm, I don't think you should have to wait so long or go back multiple times to try and vote. There are a lot of people who can't vote by mail and can't get off work to vote. In the OP's state he could have voted by mail but still. At some point we'll be able to vote securely on our phone. All I'm saying is i want everyone to be able to vote.

I wonder if election day should be moved to the previous Saturday or made a holiday so people have at least part of the day off from work. I'm not sure how we could keep vote fraud to a reasonable level with mail or electronic voting.

Malcolm McLeod
11-08-2016, 10:17 AM
... All I'm saying is i want everyone to be able to vote.

As do I. And I too think we'll vote with our phones one day. (As soon as the Feds issue them to all those who will be disenfranchised because they don't have one.)

Perhaps I failed in my use of 'easy'...?? 150 yrs ago, voting was an all day effort, so what is a reasonable investment for a voter in time and effort to cast their ballot today? Does reducing that 'investment' diminish their consideration of the impact it has to the election process? Does increasing the effort reduce participation? Why?

Should federal election day be a federal holiday? ...Then do same for state and local? Or, is voting important enough to take a vacation day?

Lots of questions that I don't pretend to have the answers for. I just know that I have in my finger the power to impose term limits. Or not. I will gladly invest 1 day in 4 years to exercise that power.

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2016, 11:01 AM
maybe naive question....Why do you vote in person? I vote by mail. No lines at all. Do other states not offer this?

Brian W Smith
11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Sailed right through ours.Partly due to a change in format...went to paper ballots from touch screens.So,instead of 3-4 booths,went to a dz. private writing desks.Then walk over and stuff ballot into the paper shredder?Haha.

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-08-2016, 11:53 AM
maybe naive question....Why do you vote in person? I vote by mail. No lines at all. Do other states not offer this?

No, not all do.

Mike Henderson
11-08-2016, 12:28 PM
I voted by mail. For those who have the option, I highly recommend it. I fill out the things I'm sure of first and then seek more information on the things I don't feel up to date on. Here in CA we have a lot of "propositions" and it takes some research to really understand some of them and what repercussions they might have. Having my ballot early and having time (days to weeks) to fill it out gives me time to research and reflect.

Of course you can do that with in person voting but I find that I tend to do it more when I'm faced with marking my ballot.

Mike

[Just an added note: All the yard signs in my area are about local issues. No presidential signs. I guess that's too contentious. No matter what sign you put up, some people would say "You support THAT candidate?"]

Brian Tymchak
11-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist in this regard. And I've never had to wait much at my polling station so the early voting options didn't really seem like a benefit.
The only early voting center I've heard of here in the Columbus metro is quite a ways away and the daily news reports have been reporting very long lines there, with up to 1 hr waits. Usually, I'm in and out at my polling station, the most I've ever waited was about 10 minutes. But today was extraordinary. I'll get back to vote, nothing including a late meeting here at work is going to keep from that.

Pat Barry
11-08-2016, 12:49 PM
This is probably the most important election in the history of our great country. The entire future of our children & grand children depends on the outcome of this election.
This is true only if you are in a state without a strong commitment to one party or the other. Florida, Ohio -- definite yes, Most of the nation, if you believe the networks and polls and all the TV and newspaper talk - they really don't need my vote at all (for president).

Roger Nair
11-08-2016, 1:15 PM
I live in a small rural village, the heaviest lines are before and after working hours. I went to the polls at 10 A.M. and had a 5 minute wait in line. I have seen much more crowded polls many times. The other thing a have noticed is that the number of yard signs is way less, almost like the choices are not people to be proud of.

Belinda Barfield
11-08-2016, 1:28 PM
I went to early vote last Wednesday. The wait was 2.5 hours. I left thinking it would be better later in the week. I stood in line 3.5 hours on Friday and voted. Largest turn out I have ever seen here. Most of the local politicians were incumbents running unchallanged. The gentleman in line ahead of me has been in the area for 6 months. He asked my opinion about the local vote. I was honest and told him that in 20 years, no matter how I have voted at the local level, I have not experienced any change in my day to day life here. We still have a ridiculous crime rate no matter who is wearing the Sheriff's badge, and so on and so forth.

Dennis Peacock
11-08-2016, 1:41 PM
I voted today...went at 9 AM. Walked in, signed in, walked over, voted and walked out. Less than 90 seconds to start the voting process. I'm sure it won't be the same story after 4 PM today.

Bruce Page
11-08-2016, 2:27 PM
LOML & I voted on the 24th. It took all of 15 minutes start to finish.

Rod Sheridan
11-08-2016, 3:29 PM
Good for you Bruce.

I just saw an article about people putting their "I Voted" sticker on the headstone of Susan B Anthony.

Did you receive a sticker?

We don't get one when we vote...............Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2016, 3:56 PM
I voted today. I took longer to ask a worker what my precinct number was than it did to vote. No stickers offered.

Howard Garner
11-08-2016, 3:58 PM
Voted when the pools opened at 7:00a today.
A good line. I was #42 at my precinct.
Took about 25 min from in line to out the door.
The line looked to be about 20 min long when I left.
Any delay was in checking ID's and signing the register, enough voting machines that the wait was less then a minutes.

So even if your in a location that requires you to wait, go and vote.
We can make up tomorrow when it is over.

Bruce Page
11-08-2016, 4:01 PM
Good for you Bruce.

I just saw an article about people putting their "I Voted" sticker on the headstone of Susan B Anthony.

Did you receive a sticker?

We don't get one when we vote...............Regards, Rod.

They offer one, I always tell them to keep it.
I haven't read the articles on the Susan B Anthony deal but l think it's disrespectful. JMO

Myk Rian
11-08-2016, 4:03 PM
Says who? If all the polling places are filled, why would that indicate discouragement?

Jim Becker
11-08-2016, 4:13 PM
Turnout in my precinct is heavy and steady. The poll worker I spoke with while waiting in line with my daughter (her first presidential vote!) said that there were about a dozen folks already waiting outside at ten 'til six this morning...the polls didn't open until 7am...and it had been busy all morning. We were there at the tail end of the lunch hour. Out of approximately 2000 registered voters in my precinct, my daughter and I were #998 and #999 to vote...that's really unprecedented turnout and I'm truly happy about it. Voting is both a privilege and a responsibility and too many folks haven't exercised that responsibility in recent years. That's sad when I consider that my daughter(s) only 11 years ago lived in a country where they might not have ever had the opportunity to vote at all for a variety of (sad) reasons...

PA doesn't have "early voting" so it's either in-person on the day or an absentee ballot. I often have done the latter due to my business travel, but this year I scheduled myself to be there to vote in person on purpose. Our wait was about 20 minutes as the line was a little shorter than it had been earlier when I drove by after a doctor appointment.

Bill McNiel
11-08-2016, 7:51 PM
[Just an added note: All the yard signs in my area are about local issues. No presidential signs. I guess that's too contentious. No matter what sign you put up, some people would say "You support THAT candidate?"]

Mike,
No Presidential yard signs here in Washington State either. I believe it is because; A) No one really likes any of the options and B) both our States are considered "solid Democrat" so limited efforts were put forth re. the Presidential campaign. Secretary Clinton was here one evening/night for expensive fundraising diners, The Donald never came to visit.

I am so glad this horror show is finally over (I hope) but I am proud to see what appears to be large voter turnout nationally. In my world voting is not optional, it is an obligatory right that must be executed. BTW- We get our ballots in the mail 2-3 weeks early and have the option of dropping them in public Ballot Boxes or mailing them in. Ours were submitted a week ago.

Peace -Bill

Rich Riddle
11-08-2016, 8:49 PM
My wife and I voted this morning when the polls opened at 6:00 AM. There were about twelve others waiting but our polling station gets very slow in the middle of the day. I had to go out of town or would have waited a bit.

Wayne Lomman
11-09-2016, 6:43 AM
Still beats me why you blokes can't organise an election on the weekend. Ours are always on a Saturday - you just vote on the way to the game or the shopping or the pub or whatever. Adds to the weekend entertainment. Cheers

Pat Barry
11-09-2016, 7:46 AM
Still beats me why you blokes can't organise an election on the weekend. Ours are always on a Saturday - you just vote on the way to the game or the shopping or the pub or whatever. Adds to the weekend entertainment. Cheers
Not here Wayne. This is the peak of the football season, both college and pro. No possible way that elections could take place on the weekend here.

PS - thanks to all who voted

Scott Donley
11-09-2016, 12:29 PM
The Donald never came to visit.

Peace -BillHe was here twice, once on the east side and once on the west side, not for fund raising.

Eric Commarato
11-09-2016, 1:02 PM
My voting poll was packed down here in Mississippi...

Jim Laumann
11-09-2016, 1:50 PM
I live in a rural area, our polling place is the township hall, similar to a 1 room school. Most elections, it the judges and 2-3 people. Last night wow - I voted at 6pm, and there were 20+ cars in the lot, and 20-30 people inside.

You'd have thought there was a sign somewhere that said "free beer" (I looked - just to be sure).

My total time in the hall was about 15 minutes.

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2016, 5:43 PM
Went for the morning swim from 5:30 to 8:00 am and cruised past the polling place on the way home to see how crowded it was.
Didn't look bad at all, so, we went home to drop off the wet swim suits and towels nd ran back to vote.
Quick in and out - no lines at all.

I believe they divided up the polling places a few years back and we now have about 10 places to vote where a few years ago we only had one.

Mike Null
11-09-2016, 5:47 PM
We went about 10:30. Long line--maybe an hour and a half wait or so. The election people very kindly took note of our canes and obvious need for them and moved us to the front of the line. I wasn't comfortable with that so next year we'll use an early ballot.

Greg Peterson
11-11-2016, 9:37 PM
Voter turnout nationally was at a twenty year low.

Todd Willhoit
11-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Voter turnout nationally was at a twenty year low.
Some sources indicate otherwise.
http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout

Jim Becker
11-12-2016, 9:21 AM
Rural voting was up, but down for some other constituencies.

Greg Peterson
11-12-2016, 5:17 PM
Some sources indicate otherwise.
http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout

Your source clearly indicates a steep decline in voter participation over 2008, and matches closely to 1996.

Turnout was high in swing states, but outside of these areas enthusiasm was muted.

Brian Elfert
11-12-2016, 7:20 PM
I expected long lines at the polling place at 7 am because most people in the city I live in don't work in the city. Most drive 25 miles or more for work. I didn't end up going until 7 pm and there was no line at all. There were more election workers than voters.

The people who drew up the precincts in my city must have been drunk when they did the work. The precincts are all sorts of screwy shapes. If I was drawing them up I would just make squares or rectangles the right sizes so each had the same number of people in them. Most of the polling places are within 1/2 mile of each other. I had to drive by one polling place to get to my polling place.

Jim Becker
11-12-2016, 8:08 PM
Brian, the irregular voting district boundaries are that way by design...but we cannot discuss that further here because it dips into the political. ;)

Todd Willhoit
11-12-2016, 8:51 PM
Your source clearly indicates a steep decline in voter participation over 2008, and matches closely to 1996.
Are you looking at "voters" or eligible voters?

Curt Harms
11-13-2016, 8:37 AM
Are you looking at "voters" or eligible voters?

I think it depended on the areas/groups. Groups that turned out in large numbers for Obama were less enthusiastic about Clinton. Trump equalled or exceeded Romney or McCain. Pendulums do swing. And they may swing again in 4 years. I did the absentee route this year but SWMBO voted during mid morning and said there were more people there than she'd seen since 1995 when we moved here.

Todd Willhoit
11-13-2016, 10:52 PM

Maybe you didn't read paragraph on the link:
"Voter turnout rates presented here show the much-lamented decline in voter participation is an artifact of poor measurement. In the past, turnout rates were calculated by dividing the number of votes by what is called the "voting-age population," which consists of everyone age 18 and older residing in the United States (the yellow line to the right). This includes persons ineligible to vote -- mainly non-citizens and ineligible felons -- and excludes overseas eligible voters. When turnout rates are calculated for those eligible to vote, or the voting-eligible population, a new pattern of turnout emerges, which exhibits no decline since 1972 (the green line to the right). Indeed, turnout rates appear to have been restored to their earlier high levels as of 2008."

Jim Laumann
11-14-2016, 2:53 PM
Brian, the irregular voting district boundaries are that way by design...but we cannot discuss that further here because it dips into the political. ;)

From a long ago Civics class.....that is called "Gerrymandering", and dates back to 1812, with then Mass. Gov. Elbridge Gerry.

Jim Becker
11-14-2016, 3:54 PM
From a long ago Civics class.....that is called "Gerrymandering", and dates back to 1812, with then Mass. Gov. Elbridge Gerry.
Correct. It's just best not to go any deeper on that subject due to our forum rules.