PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop: 3hp vs 1.75hp & router table

Steve Demuth
11-07-2016, 8:14 PM
I'm thinking of replacing my rather generic hybrid saw with a Sawstop Professional model. Shop size and configuration dictate the 30" fence and a mobile base, but I have two questions:

1. Can I mount my Benchdog cast iron router table on this saw?

2. Is the 3hp version worth an extra $400, plus in my case upgraded electrical service to the shop?

Kurt Kintner
11-07-2016, 8:44 PM
My 1.75 hp PCS does everything I ask it to do ....

Mike Henderson
11-07-2016, 9:12 PM
I can't answer your question about the benchdog, but I'd sure prefer a 3HP saw to the 1.75HP.

I have the 3HP SawStop now.

Mike

Neil Gaskin
11-07-2016, 9:18 PM
What do you plan to cut with the saw?

For what it's worth I would spend the extra $ for the added capability unless it really crunches e budget.

Mike Cutler
11-07-2016, 9:18 PM
I'm thinking of replacing my rather generic hybrid saw with a Sawstop Professional model. Shop size and configuration dictate the 30" fence and a mobile base, but I have two questions:

2. Is the 3hp version worth an extra $400, plus in my case upgraded electrical service to the shop?

1.) Yes. It may need some modification, and different holes drilled, but that's not hard.

2.) Yes, it's worth the extra $400.00. You must be right on the margin electrically right now with a hybrid TS and a DC running. You're going to have upgrade your wiring eventually, and this seems like a good time. ;)

Steve Wilde
11-07-2016, 9:26 PM
Steve,
I wouldn't even hesitate to get the 3HP, in fact I wish I had sprung for the 5HP ICS, but the 3 will do everything I ask of it. I have a bench dog table mounted to mine with the 30" fence. I started a thread about it a few years ago. Here's the link.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234797-Sawstop-Pcs-BenchDog-Promax
If you have any questions or want more pics send me a message.
Steve

Kevin Womer
11-08-2016, 4:44 AM
I can't answer the question about your router, but I do have the 3 hp professional and am very happy with it. I once had a 1.5 hp Delta contractors saw and I can say the SS is so much more powerful than the Delta was, you can almost feel it just by turning it on. $400.00 is a lot of money, but compared to the overall price of the saw it doesn't seem like that much more to almost double the hp. I don't regret getting the 3hp and would do it again, hope this helps you.Kevin

John Neel
11-08-2016, 7:24 AM
+1 on the 3 hp.

Keith Hankins
11-08-2016, 10:21 AM

Can't answer 1, but for Q2 YES! Only way I would ever consider less is if you could not under any circumstances do 220v.

I'm a SawstopICS 5hp owner, and love love that saw! Get the good mobile base. I move mine with a pinky.

Prashun Patel
11-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I also believe the 3hp is a worthy upgrade from 110v x 1.75 hp.

Here's why:

I owned a 1.75hp saw and it would bog down under very thick stock. I never met something I couldn't cut on it, but I modified my procedures to take multiple passes. This meant that I also had to plan on jointing that face because multiple passes always left me with an imperfect face. The 3hp saw I have now does not require this forethought, which is convenient.

Second, if you have a long run from your elec panel to your tool, I have noticed that my 110v jointer sagged on start up and was prone to slowing down or lights dimming. When I rewired it for 220, it responded faster. Again, I'm not saying it restricted me in what I could ultimately do, but I did have to work shallower and take slighter passes on things. Adding 220v now will give you options on your next tool upgrade, so I would advise doing it if you have the means and the interest.

Now, I'm not sure I would mount the router in the tablesaw wing. I use a router table relatively infrequently compared to the saw. For that, rolling out a router table (which tends to have a small footprint) is doably. In fact, I'd be more inclined to put your router table in a double-duty assembly table than a tablesaw. Just me.

Frank Pratt
11-08-2016, 11:25 AM
I would, and did, go for the 3HP model. But more importantly, I'd go for the 36" fence. Not for the extra 6", but because it is a vastly better fence. The 30" 'premium' fence is mediocre at best. If space is that much of a premium, you can always cut the rails down 6".

The cast iron router table can easily be added. Might have to drill a few holes though. I will be putting a router table in mine because I just do not have the room for a dedicated table.

Mike Henderson
11-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I would, and did, go for the 3HP model. But more importantly, I'd go for the 36" fence. Not for the extra 6", but because it is a vastly better fence. The 30" 'premium' fence is mediocre at best. If space is that much of a premium, you can always cut the rails down 6".

The cast iron router table can easily be added. Might have to drill a few holes though. I will be putting a router table in mine because I just do not have the room for a dedicated table.

Just a comment: Don't cut the rails down. If you need the space, first try to slip the tube over by 6". You may have to drill new mounting holes but that's not difficult. That way, you can recover that 6" if you need it later.

Mike

Nick Stokes
11-08-2016, 12:18 PM
I echo what everyone else said. I have the 1.75 because I can't get 220v.

There have been multiple times when I overloaded the saw, bogged it down and tripped the breaker on the machine. I am a casual user as I do most everything with hand tools.

3hp is better way to go on a buy once machine.

Steve Wilde
11-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Frank,
You can get the good fence in a 30" length. I originally bought the 36 and when installing it was very apparent it was too long for my space. I took the mounting rails back and switched them out for the 30" rails.
Steve

Larry Wilson
11-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I have the 3HP PCS and love the power. My 1.5 HP Ridgid used to stall in tough situations, so I was concerned with being underpowerd. My Benchdog 40-102 ProMax bolted right up without issue. I did have to drill the Sawstop rails to add bolts in them for support. I also added a cast iron Sawstop extension as well between the router table and the main body of the PCS. It is currently mounted to the right of the blade but I used to have it on the left. You definitely need the support legs on the right hand side. Hope this helps.

Chris Padilla
11-08-2016, 1:00 PM
As others have said, 3 hp in a hobbyist shop works very nicely assuming you have 240V somewhere (I used the dryer outlet until I redid my shop and wiring) and can handle the added expense of the upgraded motor. I have NEVER bogged my saw down. My father's old Craftman...used to bog that sucker down all the time. It likely had a 1.5 hp/120V connection. When I bought my first table saw, I went big (for me at the time in 2000): Grizzly 1023Z cabinet saw/3 hp. It has been a rock solid saw for me. I'd like it to die or give me an excuse to upgrade but I don't think it ever will. :)

Cary Falk
11-08-2016, 4:05 PM
3 hp if you can swing the electrical

Ben Rivel
11-08-2016, 4:17 PM
Oh yea, we all go through this when trying to decide on which SawStop to get. I'm just a home gamer here, but I wanted to try and make all my large tools the last I would ever need to purchase and since I am still young I plan to reap the benefits of that for many years to come. So I went with the 3HP PCS 36" on the ICS mobile base and the overarm dust collector. Costly, but not the most expensive tool in the shop and its kinda one of those buy once cry once type things. I suggest that no matter which motor size you go with, go with the 36" vs the 30" for sure. The fence on the 36" is much better and a standard that youll be happy you have for future accessories, jigs, etc.

Frank Pratt
11-08-2016, 4:29 PM
The ICS mobile base is really sweet. SawStop had a promo that included a free mobile base (PCS) or OH dust collection. I went with the base & then Lee Valley took it back, gave me credit, & ordered me an ICS base.

It has a few advantages over the PCS base. All 4 wheels swivel, so much better maneuverabiltiy. The casters seem better When I jack up the base, the saw will head down toward the OH door all by itself & there is only 3" of slope in 26'. The casters under the right side extend further than the PCS, giving more support to the extension.

Ben Rivel
11-08-2016, 4:31 PM
The ICS mobile base is really sweet. SawStop had a promo that included a free mobile base (PCS) or OH dust collection. I went with the base & then Lee Valley took it back, gave me credit, & ordered me an ICS base.

It has a few advantages over the PCS base. All 4 wheels swivel, so much better maneuverabiltiy. The casters seem better When I jack up the base, the saw will head down toward the OH door all by itself & there is only 3" of slope in 26'. The casters under the right side extend further than the PCS, giving more support to the extension.Exactly. For me the ICS mobile base was a must have.

Steve Demuth
11-08-2016, 4:46 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful advice here. Seems to be a consensus here: 3HP, 36" fence, ICS base. Can't ask for anything more definitive than that.

For those who addressed electrical: fortunately I'm in a position to make my own rules on that. I can wire up anything I can afford. ;-)

Ben Rivel
11-08-2016, 4:48 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful advice here. Seems to be a consensus here: 3HP, 36" fence, ICS base. Can't ask for anything more definitive than that.
You're gonna love it!

Mark Salomon
11-08-2016, 5:01 PM
Yes and yes. I replaced a 3 hp hybrid with a 3hp Sawstop and have no regrets whatsoever. I also mounted the Benchdog cast router table in place of the extension table on the right.

glenn bradley
11-08-2016, 7:15 PM

Let's see . . . . $400 plus some electrical . . . Let's be generous and say $500.

$500 divided by the 20 years you will use the saw . . . that's just shy of 7 cents a day for a saw that will make you smile for 20 years . . . whadda ya think about dat logik?

Chris Fournier
11-08-2016, 7:30 PM
1.75 hp is great for sheet goods and 4/4 lumber. You can push it to do more but the 3 hp will eat up pretty much everything. 3 hp it is!

John Sanford
11-08-2016, 8:59 PM
3hp and Yes, you can mount the normal BenchDog Cast Iron table directly to the SawStop PCS. It requires zero, nada, zilch modifications. I know, because I have one mounted on my 3hp SawStop PCS. Actually, I have it mounted to the left side wing, which migrated from the left side to the right after being displaced by a SawStop slider. My setup, from left to right is slider, table, wing, wing, Benchdog. You can mount the Benchdog directly to the saw, or to the wing if you want. Just keep in mind that the 30" fence doesn't have any extra support, so if you add the Benchdog rather than swapping a wing out, you may need to come up with a support leg. Oh, and the Benchdog can go on either side of the blade. I would have put mine on the left were it not for the Slider.

While the electrical upgrade requirements of the for the 3hp can be a bother, once done you get the rest of the 240v power world opened up to you, which means bigger bandsaws, planers, lathers and jointers. It's well worth it. 3hp, all the way, every day.

Steve Demuth
11-09-2016, 9:54 AM
Great logic ... I really like the part where I use this for 20 years ... I'd like to think I'll still be working in 20 years. Actuarial tables wouldn't bet on it though ...

Steve Demuth
11-09-2016, 10:07 AM
2.) Yes, it's worth the extra $400.00. You must be right on the margin electrically right now with a hybrid TS and a DC running. You're going to have upgrade your wiring eventually, and this seems like a good time. ;)

Probably a little bit over, truth be told. Have to make some deliberate decisions about machine configurations sometimes, so I certainly do need to upgrade the service.

Derek Stockley
11-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Here's a picture of my 3HP PCS with a cast iron router wing. I had to cut notches in the fence rails for router wing's mitre gauge, and I had to drill out the holes in the router wing's edges a little bit to match the holes in the saw stop's cast iron. My saw is against the wall on the right side, so I use it standing as if I'm using the table saw. I'm about 6' tall, so I don't have too much trouble reaching - it's less convenient than I'd like, but it works for me. Someone less tall (I would guess less than 5'8" or so) would have trouble safely feeding stock over the router like this. I previously had this router wing mounted on the left side of a contractor saw and I liked that configuration A LOT more, but with the motor bubble on the left side of the saw stop that isn't feasible. The SawStop already has legs under the fence rails but before I added this, I didn't really think about them too much. With the added weight on the right side, those legs really do become necessary. Mounting the cast iron router table further to the right in place of SawStop's wooden table would probably make it so unstable that rolling it around on the PCS Mobile Base would be difficult.

Alan Lightstone
11-18-2016, 8:34 PM
I mounted the cast iron router table more to the right. I agree, that without sufficient support it would lead to tipping, but I built cabinets / dust collection around it, which supplies more than sufficient support, and it works fantastically for me, with tons of storage.

And I couldn't agree more to go to 3HP.347815

Steve Demuth
11-19-2016, 8:41 AM
Alan,

That looks great. How is it to move around? Looks like an aircraft carrier in your garage.

Alan Lightstone
11-19-2016, 9:38 AM
I can't think of how much it weighs.

It has six casters under its base (note to self, never use more than four), but I very rarely move it, as my workshop is small and it has its specific place.

When I built it and installed the cast iron router table, it did try to tip to the right (mines on the right wing), so the advice you received early was very good. Provide some support under it when you are doing that step, as it is quite a long lever arm (mine is the 52 inch version).

jack duren
11-19-2016, 10:17 AM

You really need to consider how much you enjoy this hobby before spending a lot of money. We have triggered the Sawstop at work twice at work cutting once through a screw and Thursday We are not even sure why it tripped. It's still warranted but not for ever. Hopefully Sawstop will give us some feed back on the trip this week....

If you really enjoy woodworking a 3hp saw would be worth it in the long run...

Dave Anthony
11-19-2016, 1:59 PM
I went w/3HP SS, ICS base, 36" fence, benchdog router table, & Jessem sliding table.

scott spencer
11-19-2016, 3:42 PM
Think there's much difference when double the hp? You bet! It's the difference between adequate and impressive. If you want this to be your last saw, and a saw that you absolutely love using, get the 3hp and don't look back. Better to cry once.

Ben Rivel
11-19-2016, 5:04 PM
I went w/3HP SS, ICS base, 36" fence, benchdog router table, & Jessem sliding table.

347848Hey a fellow Sac guy! Nice. Beautiful setup there! Jessem doesnt make/sell that sliding table attachment anymore do they? How much was it when you got it and have you compared it to the SawStop version? Is it better?

Dave Anthony
11-19-2016, 7:25 PM
I've had the slider for about 7 years (it was previously mounted on a Delta contractor saw), and the saw for ~ 4 years. Jessem no longer makes the slider, I'm not sure why, I've had zero problems with mine. I haven't looked at SawStop's version as I wasn't in the market. Looking on the Web, it looks very similar, though possibly more heavy duty and pricy (I think the Jessem was ~$400). I just got done cutting the tennons on 75" 6/4 stock, and can't imagine trying to do it w/out a slider.

I provide extra support when crosscutting heavy material and frequently rotate the saw 90 degrees to crosscut longer pieces. The ICS base is excellent and worth the cost. Upgrading to a 3 HP cabinet saw is a real pleasure, and the fit & finish on the SS is superb.