PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly sliding table saws

Rick Potter
11-07-2016, 12:29 PM
This is just idle curiosity, but I have often wondered why no one seems to have a Grizzly slider. I have tried to find threads on them, but just find 10 year old ones which turned into a fur fight, with few actual answers.

The G0 623X, $2900, for example...seems like there should be a few owners out there? Their larger ones are probably in pro shops, but this one seems fairly affordable for hobbyists.

Don't want to be controversial here, and am a former Felder owner, so please refrain from the 'my brand is better' comments. I am just curious about the Grizzly, and how owners like them.

Patrick Curry
11-07-2016, 1:10 PM
I've also noticed it's difficult to find information on these from the owners, which is surprising. For $3k the Grizzly slider is not priced outside the hobbyist TS market and the design (a slider) has some clear advantages for common applications. Hobby grade sliders seem to do well in Europe so it's not a footprint issue.

I'd have bet Grizzly's strategy to make an affordable slider would be a no-brainer....guess that's another lost bet.

Peter Kelly
11-07-2016, 1:12 PM
Chris Wong reviewed exactly that model in 2014: https://flairwoodworks.com/2014/11/06/review-of-my-grizzly-sliding-table-saw-g0623x/

Bob Potter
11-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Every time I have been to Springfield Mo. I have looked at this saw and if I was a little younger I will be 78 in a couple of months and would surely consider this saw for the money and standard equipment.
Now I know that Hammer and MinMax should be better saws but they cost in most cases much more.
I don't think again for the money you could go wrong. And Grizzly backs up there products.
Thanks Bob

Curt Harms
11-08-2016, 9:46 AM
The concern I've seen about Asian sliders is precision and durability. Apparently the sliding table portion of the saw is pretty sensitive to slop or misalignment and wear. There was concern about the ability of Asian manufacturers to the produce the required tolerances. This was from some years ago and Asian manufacturers seem to have stepped up their games as evidenced by the recent higher end Grizzly products. There's little denying that most Asian woodworking machines from the '80s were pretty crude.

Patrick Curry
11-08-2016, 9:50 AM
I had not seen that review before and so thanks for the link. He did a nice job with the pros and cons of the slider.

Rick Potter
11-08-2016, 1:34 PM
Thanks Peter,

I also had not seen that review. Thanks.

Patrick Curry
11-08-2016, 9:56 PM
id be surprised if the Grizzly floats as smooth as the euro sliders. But if they can hold true to their settings I'd be happy given the price differential.

Would love to see videos if anyone happens to own one and cares to post.