PDA

View Full Version : Is Poplar OK for file handles?

Frederick Skelly
11-06-2016, 1:59 PM
Guys,
I could post this in Turning but files are mostly a Neander tool, so I was hoping for your advice. (But if I could post it in both forums, I would.) Here's the deal.....

I'm turning a set of new handles for my Iwasaki Carving Files. My original thinking was to practice making them in pine and then switch to walnut or maple or maybe cocobolo for the "real thing". Then I pulled out a scrap of Poplar. That "practice" handle came out so pretty - nice grain, nice color, easy to work - that I thought maybe I'd just use Poplar.

Poplar is soft, so I wouldn't even consider it for a chisel handle. But do you think it is strong enough for a file/rasp handle? Edit: I'm using a brass ferrule to protect against splitting.

I'd appreciate your inputs. As always, thank you!

Fred

Ryan Mooney
11-06-2016, 2:23 PM
Yep should be fine. I've even use pine without any real problems when lacking anything else. IMHO poplar is actually a pretty nice for this, its sturdy enough it should stand up pretty well but soft enough that you can pretty easily seat the tang in it. Some of the harder woods don't compress quite as well and actually have a bit harder time holding onto the file (walnut is fine as its not actually that hard but cocobolo you'd want to more carefully seat the file into it or its a bit more likely to come out).

Jim Koepke
11-06-2016, 2:37 PM
Sometimes we worry too much about such things.

Sometimes the best way to find an answer to such a question is to just do it.

In my experience almost anything will work for a file handle. This includes a mushroom drawer pull, a corncob, a wine cork, a deer antler and many other first things to be within reach when a file handle was needed.

Pine works fine, so should poplar.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
11-06-2016, 3:56 PM
It does sound like maybe I'm overthinking things, doesn't it? :D:D:D

Thanks for sorting me out guys!
Fred

Thomas Schneider
11-06-2016, 7:41 PM
Lol Sometime I think "Overthinking things" is what we do best on these woodworking forms!

It does sound like maybe I'm overthinking things, doesn't it? :D:D:D

Thanks for sorting me out guys!
Fred

Frederick Skelly
11-06-2016, 8:11 PM
Lol Sometime I think "Overthinking things" is what we do best on these woodworking forms!

Yeah, sometimes you're right about that Tom!

Pat Barry
11-06-2016, 8:26 PM
I only have 1 file with a handle. All the others ones, when I use them, I think, why haven't I made a few more handles. LOL

Ryan Mooney
11-06-2016, 9:14 PM
a corncob

Those actually do make really nice file handles.

Brent Cutshall
11-07-2016, 6:37 AM
(Clears throat) There I was, just about to tackle the grueling 12 point crosscut saw filing job. As we clashed, I found that I was taking damage to the hands for the lack proper handle on my weapon(file). I begin to get worried, but no, there it was on the floor amongst the wood shavings and the cracker wrapper, a 1/4x2x3 pine block that I had cut from the end of a board for fun earlier that day. Though we had our differences, I pulled out my hand drill and forged an alliance between it and the file. We showed that saw how it is to be filed for crosscut. Who won, it's a toss up. But I still use my friend the pine block to this day, and I can saw miters faster than my brother who's miter saw is filed for rip. Thank you good people!

Frederick Skelly
11-07-2016, 7:15 AM
Liked that Brent!:D

Stewie Simpson
11-07-2016, 7:26 AM
Poplar is very Pop(u)lar for file handles. :rolleyes:

Frederick Skelly
11-07-2016, 8:06 AM
Poplar is very Pop(u)lar for file handles. :rolleyes:

;)

Stewie, I just keep thinking of those gorgeous saws you make and thinking I should have some really attractive handles on my files and later, my chisels. Your work was one of my motivators.

Also, I really liked what the amber shellac did for the walnut I used for my new mallet! Thanks for the tip.

Fred

Mason Truelove
11-07-2016, 9:18 AM
Poplar is okay.. I've tried to use such that.

John K Jordan
11-07-2016, 9:35 AM
Poplar is soft, so I wouldn't even consider it for a chisel handle. But do you think it is strong enough for a file/rasp handle? Edit: I'm using a brass ferrule to protect against splitting.

What kind of poplar, "true" poplar or yellow (tulip poplar)?

Yellow poplar heartwood can be quite durable. Hard and relatively heavy, too. I once made the mistake of making some deep brood boxes for my beehives out of yellow poplar. They were so much heavier than pine I decided not to use them. Those made from Eastern Red Ceder were much better. Of course, each tree can vary.

I have no experience with true poplar.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
11-07-2016, 8:25 PM
What kind of poplar, "true" poplar or yellow (tulip poplar)?

Yellow poplar heartwood can be quite durable. Hard and relatively heavy, too. I once made the mistake of making some deep brood boxes for my beehives out of yellow poplar. They were so much heavier than pine I decided not to use them. Those made from Eastern Red Ceder were much better. Of course, each tree can vary.

I have no experience with true poplar.

JKJ

Well, I don't honestly know John. :confused: I get it at the BORG. It often has a green color to part of a board.

Gary Cunningham
11-07-2016, 8:52 PM
Those actually do make really nice file handles.

You can also stick three feathers in the cob and make "dart" to chuck at your buddies head.

mark kosse
11-07-2016, 9:42 PM

In my experience almost anything will work for a file handle. This includes a mushroom drawer pull, a corncob, a wine cork, a deer antler and many other first things to be within reach when a file handle was needed.

jtk

i once saw a guy with a electrical spring connector (wire nut) for a file handle.

John K Jordan
11-07-2016, 9:59 PM
Well, I don't honestly know John. :confused: I get it at the BORG. It often has a green color to part of a board.
That would be Tulip/Yellow Poplar then. Here is a short article about poplar vs poplar:
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/poplar-cottonwood-and-aspen-whats-what/
The tree has large tulip-like flowers in the spring.

Tulip Poplar is widely used for everything from plywood to furniture, especially parts of the furniture you don't see. It can be dyed nicely to resemble other woods. He heartwood is often greenish with brown and sometimes other colors; the sapwood is often pale creamy white - I've seen it sold at the borg as "whitewood".

We have a LOT of poplar trees here. I have some that are close to 11 ft in circumference and many smaller. It grows very fast an gets tall quickly. When I tore an old roof off a 80-year-old corn crib here some of the purlins were tulip poplar (some were walnut, pine, and others). I cut boards and turning blocks when I have a tree that comes down. I've made a bunch of shelves with it, used as siding, rafters for farm buildings, and a variety of wood turnings.

I have one big y.poplar tree that is looks like one big burl as far up as I can see! When it comes down I plan to slice some boards from just under the bark. If it is as highly figured as I suspect from the bark, it might be some great wood for dulcimers and other instruments.

Some people don't like to turn it but I think it's great. I did this Beads of Courage box/lidded bowl from a chunk of y.poplar since it was big enough and pretty much dry after 10-11 years:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=332462&d=1456439187

I think it is fine for tool handles of all kinds.

JKJ

Patrick Chase
11-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Does anybody else out there use a pin vise (such as the larger one General sells) for their small files?

Not exactly "traditional neander" but it works really well for me.

Brent Cutshall
11-08-2016, 6:10 AM
I've used vise-grips before, but no pin vise. Nice bowl John!

Frederick Skelly
11-08-2016, 6:25 AM
Yes, that's it John. Thanks for the id and the advice!

Your BOC box is beautiful. When I learn more, I want to do some of those. I think they're a very special gift for sick children. I noticed what looks like a key - is that a music box you've tucked into the lid?

Fred

John K Jordan
11-08-2016, 7:27 AM
?..I noticed what looks like a key - is that a music box you've tucked into the lid?

Yes, I wanted to do something a little different on this one, a bit of surprise hiding under the lid. I had a bunch of little music boxes in my drawer and picked one that played Jesus Loves Me. The little red thing in the handle was a metal pin I've had sitting around for many years, waiting for a good use.

The form on these boxes won't win any artistic excellence awards - most are kind of klunky on purpose. They need a wide base for stability, a wide mouth, and a large internal volume. I like to make them a little bottom heavy. The lid also has to be easily removable by a sick child so it has to be loose. I make a significantly tapered lip that didn't need careful alignment to put on.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
11-08-2016, 7:41 AM
I like the design a lot. It does just what the children need it to do. Definitely a gift he or she will cherish!

Jerry Olexa
11-08-2016, 7:13 PM

jtk

Excellent words of wisdom.....Thanks, Jim.

Frederick Skelly
11-13-2016, 1:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice here. I made them yesterday, after about a dozen practice runs to find the shape that felt best in muy hand and then figure out how to produce it consistently.

To seat the files, I drilled a long hole that was 1/2 as wide as the file tang,. Then I put the file in the vise and, pressing downward with force, I just twisted it on. Seems solidly seated.

So far, I've had two lady friends ask me "What kind of wood is that? It's green"?

Yup. That's poplar. And I like it.

Thanks again!
Fred

Jim Koepke
11-13-2016, 1:54 PM
Can we expect pictures?

Me likem pictures...

jtk

Pat Barry
11-13-2016, 2:49 PM
Can we expect pictures?

Me likem pictures...

jtk
I think he wants to be a bit more discreet with his lady friends. ;)

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2016, 7:55 AM
You guys crack me up! :)

Jim, I'll try to post a pic tonight.

Have a good day!
Fred

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2016, 9:09 PM
Well Jim, here's pics. Nothing really much to see. The big one on the left required a 1" ferrule, which really limited what I could do because I didnt want a figure 8 style handle (wasp waist might be a better term?). But the others are 3/4" ferrules and those came out just the way I wanted - tapered front and back, much like my Marples blue handled chisels. Not quite as consistent as I'd prefer - wanted all the 3/4" to be identical. But good enough for now. Not a complex 1st project but a useful one.

My thanks again to John Jordan and the other Turners for helping me to get this far!

Fred

Edit: the color gets a little too green when you enlarge the pic. But all of them are definitely green. I like the way they look/feel with 5 coats of wiping varnish. Edit 2: If you dont already know, you can buy the ferrules from LV. Edit 3: Try not to laugh at the crappy way the ferrules fit. My tool control aint quite what it needs to be yet!

Jim Koepke
11-14-2016, 11:25 PM
They're looking good.

Thanks for the pics.

jtk

Ryan Mooney
11-15-2016, 1:52 AM
Look plenty good to me as well! Getting the ferrules to fit a bit better will come with more practice but there sure ain't nothing wrong with what you have.

Frederick Skelly
11-15-2016, 6:17 AM
Jim, Ryan, thank you!
Fred

John K Jordan
11-15-2016, 7:36 AM
Very nice!

Note that y.poplar accepts dye very well. You can make it look like cherry, for example, ebonize it for black; how about blue handles? I've used leather dye on wood since it is easy to find locally.

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
11-15-2016, 7:51 AM
Thanks John. Yes, I built a small end table a couple years back and dyed it a mahogany color. I found I had to be careful of blotching, but that's manageable. I havent tried leather dye, but now I will. I had a good experience using india ink as dye - very black and uniform.

Thanks again!
Fred