PDA

View Full Version : Something for my bench...

steven c newman
11-06-2016, 1:33 PM
Well, for one thing, I needed a new dog hole, a bit farther away from the vise. Drew out a center line to match the other two "new" dog holes. Still had a bit chucked up into the "cordless drill". so a few turns were made..
Made some nice curlys..
Right in line with the other two. Then there was this problem..
The WorkMate dogs I use are a bit too tall for this thinner work. Time to make a "Stop"
had a length of 7/8" dowel, skinnied it down to fit the dog holes. One end is cut at a slight angle.
Drilled a pilot hole with another cordless drill..
That is a chunk of an old saw plate sitting beside the dowel. Used a brass screw to attach the plate to the dowel, with the teeth sitting on the higher side of the angled dowel. Installed it in the bench.
And tried it out..
BTW, the dog that goes into the vise was ground down a bit, and sanded smooth. Now sits lower than the wood.
Might just work....;)

Jim Koepke
11-06-2016, 1:44 PM
Interesting fast fix.

I may have to try the piece of saw idea. So far I have used nails or an angled piece of scrap wood.

jtk

steven c newman
11-06-2016, 7:43 PM
The videos by GE Hong...The fellow was using something like this, his was more of a machine made sort of thing. Thicker "saw" blade, metal post that fits into a hole in his bench's top. Might have been more than one hole, as his wouldn't move around like mine will. I have to line up on the screw's head with the center of the board I'd be working on. If not, it will rotate.

Have a bit more of that dowel handy......might try to make a few "normal" dogs too....

Glen Canaday
11-06-2016, 9:36 PM
I had the same problem, 3/4 holes but 7/8 dowel. I used a hollow auger on mine to reduce them to fit the holes.

I'd like to find one of those Millers Falls bench dogs, but until I do it will be the saw on a dowel idea in a mortised recess for me.

steven c newman
11-07-2016, 7:02 PM
I suppose I could go and make a few more wooden dogs out of that dowel rod......might add a square face to a couple, too.....