PDA

View Full Version : Examples - Countersinks

Eric Brown
11-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Sometimes a countersink is required for fasteners. They come in a large range of sizes. In the pictures below are two groups. The first group has tapered countersinks. One incorporates a combination tapered drill and countersink. The next group shows flat bottomed countersinks. Note that for some countersinks a standard Forstner, center bit, or more modern Stanley Powerbore bit, may be used. The last picture shows a Spofford brace adapted with a three jaw chuck which allows using round or hex driven bits. With a short hex extension a large variety of drivers can be used for driving screws.

One thing I've observed is that while the more modern bits may be powered by a brace they work better in a electric drill or drill press utilizing a faster speed and more accurate alignment. My preference is for the older bits designed for a brace.

Jim Belair
11-06-2016, 12:57 PM
I like your "examples" series of posts Eric, finding them interesting and informative. Thank you. You have quite a collection.

Eric Brown
11-06-2016, 8:26 PM
Thanks Jim. I have a lot of interesting tools but not sure anybody else is that interested. I probably have over 1000 augers and bits.
Any kind of boring bits you are interested in seeing? If I have them I will share.

steven c newman
11-06-2016, 8:47 PM
Maybe build a storage book for them?

Have ONE one the brace style countersinks, and one of the electric drill style. Seem to like the older one.

Stu Gillard
11-06-2016, 8:57 PM
Interesting Eric.

I have a countersink bit always ready to go in a small sweep brace.
It was my grandfathers.

Although it's still cutting fairly well, I'd like to sharpen it a bit.
What's your preferred method?

Glen Canaday
11-06-2016, 9:33 PM
I am interested in sharpening them, too. I bought my brace tools by weight at the mother of all tool estate sales (everything that didn't sell at other sales), which includes several of these.

I'd like to find a 1", but I'll settle for a sharpening procedure that works!

Eric Brown
11-07-2016, 6:03 PM
Sharpen these like an auger. In fact a auger file works really well. I put a 2x4 sticking up from my bench vice. I put the bit on top and file the cutters trying to match the original angles. They usually sharpen pretty quick as they are not very hard. Some of them have a screw that allows easier access to the cutting edges. I find greater need for the smaller ones but when I need a large one I use the one from Lee Valley. It does a good job and only has one cutter to sharpen.