PDA

View Full Version : Examples - Plug Cutters

Eric Brown
11-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Sometimes a screw is required and you want to cover it up with a plug. You could use a dowel but then the end grain would be facing out. Another way to cover the screw hole up is to use a plug cut across the grain. Some modern plug cutters can do this but be aware there are two types. Some cut a straight plug and others a tapered plug. The tapered plug is best. Below are pictures showing a modern straight plug cutter set, an old tapered plug cutter set, and a Hargrave tapered plug cutter set (3/8" to 3/4"). My preference is the Hargrave style because the design has a built in depth stop. In using all these (plus others not shown) I noticed an interesting detail. Some were easier to start in one direction than others. Some cut better in one direction than others. Looking closely at the leading edges I noticed that the ones easier to start had a slightly rounded edge. The ones easier to cut had a square edge. So I bored some holes by first starting in one direction and after the hole was defined switching directions for the majority of the cut. By regulating the depth, it is easier to set up the band (or hand) saw to cut the plugs out of the board. Note that the tapered end of the plug is the deepest in the hole where the saw blade is cutting. Another way to control the plug length is to cut the plug board to the thickness desired and then clamp a backing board to it. When making the plugs this way just ease up before the plug pops loose.

A plug made using the Hargrave. When making the mating hole for the plug, you must first decide if the screw will be a flat head or not. In this case I went with flat which requires a tapered countersink. As the plug was 1/2" I started with a Forstner. This style bit leaves a smooth hole and flat bottom with a center dimple. I bored the hole to a depth that is far enough for a plug and then drilled the center pilot for the screw. Last I used a countersink. There are some combination drill-countersinks that are also available. Put the screw in, put a little glue on the plug or in the hole, and then insert the plug. Some people prefer to keep the grain aligned to better hide the plug and others like using a different wood to make it a detail.