PDA

View Full Version : Happy Day Light Savings Time Sleep In

Rich Riddle
11-06-2016, 6:33 AM
Don't forget to set your clock and watches an hour back today.

Jerome Stanek
11-06-2016, 7:12 AM
It is standard time now wish they would leave it alone

Rich Riddle
11-06-2016, 7:17 AM
Jerome,

They claim the hour ahead jump saves electrical energy.

Larry Frank
11-06-2016, 7:41 AM
I think it is a real pain. I would be happier if we had day light savings time all year around.

Jerry Bruette
11-06-2016, 7:46 AM
Wish there was an easy way to take the clock in my head and adjust it. Awake this morning at 4am (old time) by the time I get used to it it'll be time to turn the clocks ahead. Seems like the older I get the harder it is to adjust.

Pat Barry
11-06-2016, 8:18 AM
Changing the clocks twice a year has no real purpose, does it?

Chris Padilla
11-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Shouldn't it be: "Happy Standard Time!" :)

Brian Elfert
11-06-2016, 10:44 AM
I would love to have Daylight Saving Time year round. I could use that extra hour of daylight in the evening to do something outside. Extra daylight in the morning does me no good.

Standard time year round would suck. The sun already rises here at 5:30 am on July 1. It would rise at 4:30 am with standard time. It is light out until well after 9 pm in July right now. With standard time it would be dark by 9 pm in July. By Sept 1 it would be dark at 6:30 or so.

Mel Fulks
11-06-2016, 11:16 AM
We weren't made to adjust to arbitrary useless nonsense and can not be instantly reset. Modern lighting has has taken away a lot of our sense of natural time. We have a park in the neighborhood that has a nine foot granite attenuated pyramid that was covered by vines and brush for years. It is a noon mark,and I have demonstrated that. But that is rejected by the association that is headed by a woman who edits history books!! Theories run from gravestone of a pet bear to useless ornament. The idea that people set mechanical clocks by the sun is taken as nonsense. There is a house there that was built 1835 or 1840 and the "device" is on a hill easily observed from a window. Eventually a pilot or such will solve this "mystery".

David Helm
11-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Shouldn't it be: "Happy Standard Time!" :)

Yes. Many people seem to get it backwords.

Bruce Wrenn
11-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Happy til around 5:00 PM today, when suddenly it's getting dark!

Rod Sheridan
11-06-2016, 2:02 PM
Don't forget to set your clock and watches an hour back today.

I had to work this morning starting a power system release at 00:05

Fortunately due to the clock change the work was an hour shorter than it seemed :D

Bert Kemp
11-06-2016, 2:22 PM
Why should I set my clock back an hour:confused: Then I'd be an hour off:eek::D

Jim Koepke
11-06-2016, 3:04 PM
I am thorough. Even the clocks that have stopped running get set back an hour.

jtk

Jerome Stanek
11-06-2016, 3:31 PM
Ben Franklin should have kept his ideas to himself. I hate changing times.

Brent Cutshall
11-06-2016, 3:33 PM
Although it is annoying sometimes, as a farmer/woodsman I find it useful in the summer. The days are longer when there's more to do, I think that's where and how it started.

Mel Fulks
11-06-2016, 5:57 PM
The Franklin idea was a only a comic piece mocking French society people sleeping late then burning candles in the evening.

Wayne Lomman
11-06-2016, 8:03 PM
The real reason for daylight saving is to increase economic activity. We all do more stuff in daylight, so more work and therefore more profit for those who collect it. Governments of all persuasions do it. That being said, it takes about 1 nights to adapt and three months to complain about it. Cheers

Bruce Page
11-06-2016, 8:22 PM
Time changes don't bother me but they always mess with the dogs. Dinner time is at 6 and they start bugging like clock work at 10 to 6. Today they were bugging at 10 to 5..

Myk Rian
11-06-2016, 9:25 PM
I guess everybody could move to Arizona.

Bill McNiel
11-06-2016, 9:59 PM
I have always liked DST. I love having more daylight after school, work, whatever in the evenings to do fun stuff. Switching back to Standard time in the winter is essential if you work outdoors, think construction, and don't light to work "under lights" in the morning or join the evening office commute. Seattle traffic truly sucks, and is getting worse every day, the difference between leaving a job site in the city at 3:30 PM and 4:30 PM amounts to more than twice the travel time.

I believe Daylight Savings Time was initiated to allow folks who work outdoors (farmers, construction, etc) to better utilize/maximize daylight vs artificial illumination thus saving energy. Apparently those who work indoors don't see the benefits. For me, DST provided the opportunity to get down to the beach and catch the evening "glass-off", work on outdoor projects, play some golf, or sit on the deck drinking wine and enjoying the evening outdoors.

Just MHO.

Jason Roehl
11-07-2016, 6:04 AM
Although it is annoying sometimes, as a farmer/woodsman I find it useful in the summer. The days are longer when there's more to do, I think that's where and how it started.

No, they're not. Still the same number of hours of daylight, no matter what the numbers on the dial say.

Pat Barry
11-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Time changes don't bother me but they always mess with the dogs. Dinner time is at 6 and they start bugging like clock work at 10 to 6. Today they were bugging at 10 to 5..
+1. The dogs, like farmers and woodsmen, don't need no clocks to tell what time it really is.

David Helm
11-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Why should I set my clock back an hour:confused: Then I'd be an hour off:eek::D

Unless you lived on the Navajo Reservation. They use the time changes. I do think that Arizona may be the only state that doesn't.

Matt Day
11-07-2016, 2:00 PM
It's not as happy with young kids and adjusting their sleep times!

Jay Runde
11-07-2016, 3:50 PM
Unless you lived on the Navajo Reservation. They use the time changes. I do think that Arizona may be the only state that doesn't.

Hawaii does not observe DST either.

Jerome Stanek
11-07-2016, 6:03 PM
Wish I could save an hour a day in the summer and use it in the winter

Chris Padilla
11-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Hawaii does not observe DST either.

I don't know if it is still true, but parts of Indiana didn't observe it.

Bert Kemp
11-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Its funny how people think the days are longer:confused: But the days are exactly the same, Same amount of daylight and darkness as the year before and the year to come. The only thing different is what the clock says. A true farmer gets up and goes to work at daylight and stops at dusk, what the clock says doesn't matter:D

Jason Roehl
11-08-2016, 5:55 AM
I don't know if it is still true, but parts of Indiana didn't observe it.

Indiana is fully on DST--have been for 10 years now. Prior to 2006, the NW and SW corners (a few counties in each) of Indiana were on Central Time, observing Daylight Saving Time while the rest of the state was on Eastern Standard Time year-round. Those two corners (a few counties may have flip-flopped, I don't recall), remained on Central, and the bulk of the state began observing DST.

Mel Fulks
11-08-2016, 10:08 AM
There is a movement to eliminate one "fly over" time zone. The bi- coastal people think it will save THEM time and don't care much about anything else.

Brent Cutshall
11-08-2016, 11:57 AM
No, they're not. Still the same number of hours of daylight, no matter what the numbers on the dial say.I'm not talking about time as far as length of days. I'm saying sunlight hours are longer. Yesterday morning I woke up at 5:30 AM, dark outside and didn't light up until about 8:00 or so. Then it got dark at about 5:30ish. In the summer, I wake up to light and go to bed at 9:00 to light. I'm just saying it SEEMS to stay light longer before than after, I don't know why. P.S I don't use clocks during "work hours".

Yonak Hawkins
11-08-2016, 2:44 PM
OK, got it. That's the purpse of Daylight Savings Time. What's the purpose of Standard Time ?

Mel Fulks
11-08-2016, 5:56 PM
Standard time became a practical neccesity with railroad travel. With slower travel people just set their clocks or watches to "local mean time" when they arrived at stops and destinations. With standard time it's the same clock time for all in that zone. That practical invention means that most people are no more than 30 minutes off from the sun and can know when the train will arrive.

Yonak Hawkins
11-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Mel. That part I knew. What's the argument for switching to Standard Time each year rather than keeping Daylight Savings Time year round, do you suppose ?

Mel Fulks
11-09-2016, 1:38 AM
Well, for me a change to all year DST would mean preferring to be as much as an hour and a half off local mean time to the more accurate and romantic sundial time which is never more than 16 minutes off from local mean time. "Noon" is the suns highest point and the approximate true middle of the daylight . I had no interest in rhythms of nature type stuff until I was about 40 years old but now I enjoy observing the changes and knowing what plants and trees look best at what time of day and where the shade will be. I'm not trying to persuade anyone ,just saying it's something I like and find to be an enjoyable conection to earth and sky. And I think seasonal adjustments to schedule make more sense than "changing the time".