PDA

View Full Version : 50% grayscale????

Barbara Buhse
10-05-2005, 12:41 PM
ok, someone here posted a beautiful wedding plaque with a picture and a cherokee wedding blessing on top...
I CAN'T FIND THE POST
Something was mentioned about theh way it was engraved... something about 50% grayscale.
Before I go ruining a plaque (wedding invite over a picture) can someone tell me how printing in "50% grayscale" will affect the outcome... is it needed at all, and how do you do it?

Thanks
Barbara

Laura Zaruba
10-05-2005, 1:51 PM
Barbara,

I remember the post you're talking about. Doing a photo at 50% greyscale (or possibly less) would simply make the photo "lighter" so the words (or invitation) in full color (100% black) will show up better. If you didn't reduce the color of the photo it wouldn't have enough contrast between layers to look nice.

Barbara Sample
10-05-2005, 2:12 PM
Hi Barbara and Laura,
I also saw that post, and also cannot find it. I tried it though, and had a hard time of it.
I think the person that did it said he used 30% greyscale. I didn't know what that meant, so I lightened it and tried it that way.
It came out ok on the wood that I used, but it came out better on leather.
I had a hard time though, because the picture that I used was one of a bride, and some of the words went right through her teeth.
Needless to say, without this guys advice, it's not easy. ha
I will take a photo of what I tried and send it. I do not have a photo card viewer here at work, but will take it home, and bring it back tomorrow.
If either of you find it. Let me know.
Good luck
Barbara

PS, I engraved the photo first on one of them, then the poem. It was a little easier. I also remembered that he outlined the letters with white. Hope that helps.

Pete Simmons
10-05-2005, 3:38 PM
I posted this under "Is this great or what." about 3 pages in on the Laser Group.

I do NOT use 30 or 50 or anything %.

I run it twice.

Once at lower power fast speed for the image. This is hard to do since we always try to get a good engraving but here you are looking for a very light engraving.

Then I do the text at regular speed and power.

I have a 35 w Epilog mini and used 80 speed/ 80 power for the image then 30 speed/100 power for the text.

Barbara Buhse
10-05-2005, 9:18 PM
Pete,

Thanks... I ran it twice, once on 90 speed, 100 power for the photo, then on 30/100 for the words.
It came out really nice, and I'll be using it as a sample in my craft show booth.

Thanks for the terrific idea! I had done a few of my own invitations (on paper) this way in the past, but I hadn't yet thought of using this same idea of layeriing for engraving until I saw your plaque.
So, I am eternally grateful, and one day when I come up with something unique, I hope I can return the favor!

Barbara