PDA

View Full Version : Wood Identification

Michael Zerance
11-05-2016, 6:57 PM
Any thoughts on what these are?

I think the left one is Cypress but not sure about the right one. The one on the right has a purplish hue not entirely obvious in the picture.

Brian Tymchak
11-05-2016, 7:04 PM
That's Black Walnut on the right. Hard to say what the one on the left is.

John Lifer
11-05-2016, 7:57 PM
Left is cypress

Wes Ramsey
11-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Sure looks like walnut and cypress to me.

Danny Hamsley
11-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Yes to both.

Michael Zerance
11-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks, fellas.

These pieces were used as blocking by the lumber supplier when they sent me a load of maple recently. The walnut piece was weathered but it looked interesting so I ran it across the jointer which revealed what is shown in the pictures. I've never worked with walnut before but I really like the grain and color so I am going to try to incorporate it into a future project. Thanks for letting me know what it is.

Malcolm McLeod
11-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks, fellas.

These pieces were used as blocking by the lumber supplier when they sent me a load of maple recently. The walnut piece was weathered but it looked interesting so I ran it across the jointer which revealed what is shown in the pictures. I've never worked with walnut before but I really like the grain and color so I am going to try to incorporate it into a future project. Thanks for letting me know what it is.

If you're like a lot of folks, you'll fall in love with the walnut. It works beautifully, and the colors can be amazing (if its not steamed)...from cream, to chocolate, and even to purple. Wipe some mineral spirits on it!