PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly jointer problems

Robin Frierson
11-05-2016, 11:48 AM
My 12in grizzly jointer has stopped working. Will start up for a couple seconds then die. There is a breaker in the jointer's switch box that keeps throwing. The electical breakers in the wall panel are not tripping. The grizzly tech service guys think the problem is in the motor and wanted me to take it out and take it apart. But recent knee surgery and bad knees make it very hard for me to get down on the floor and remove the motor. Before these recent problems it was making a loud rumbling sound on shutdown. The tech guys think its the centrifugal switch, whatever that is.

Machine is under warranty and a new motor should be here monday. Credit Grizz for sending a new motor with no questions asked rather than making me tear the motor apart. The guy who installed my 220V in my shop is coming over tues to swap the motor out. Pain to have a new machine go out like this and rare for new motor to go out. I am wondering if its maybe the switch instead of the motor??? I blew it out and checked for any loose wires but eveything looks fine. Any opinions??

Ken Fitzgerald
11-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Robin,

I just looked at all the 12" Grizzly jointer schematics. It would appear what is tripping is a thermal overload. Typically what causes that is a motor drawing too much current. While it could be the thermal overload, I would go a long with the Grizzly technicians recommendation. He may be basing it on the history they have seen with that particular model.

Robin Frierson
11-05-2016, 2:01 PM
The model number is G0609X. Right next to that internal breaker that's tripping is a small dial that can be adjusted between 14 and 17. I'm guessing that's 14 to 17 Amps. I turned it all the way up to 17 hoping that would solve the problem but no luck.

glenn bradley
11-05-2016, 2:45 PM
I'm glad they are taking care of you. I am one of those folks that is willing to have to deal with occasional bumps in the road for a machine that is $2700 less than the competition. Swapping a motor is more than a bump in the road and I too would be disappointed. $2700 worth of disappointment with no guarantee that the more expensive machine wouldn't have issues of its own? Nope.

My G0490X required a fence exchange that cost me 3 or 4 days. It was a new machine so I didn't lose any productive time that I already had. The machine has worked beautifully and has required no adjustment since the initial setup 8 years ago. I hope you will have a similar experience once things are settled.

Van Huskey
11-05-2016, 2:57 PM
I'm guessing that's 14 to 17 Amps. I turned it all the way up to 17 hoping that would solve the problem but no luck.

That is correct, but unless you change a motor to one with a higher FLA draw you should never need to adjust that, especially if the trip is under no load.

Myk Rian
11-05-2016, 10:21 PM
If you don't know what the centrifugal switch is, find someone that does, or take it to a repair shop.
Breaking wires inside a motor is not an easy fix. Sounds to me like the switch contacts have welded closed.

Van Huskey
11-05-2016, 10:29 PM
If you don't know what the centrifugal switch is, find someone that does, or take it to a repair shop.
Breaking wires inside a motor is not an easy fix. Sounds to me like the switch contacts have welded closed.

It indeed sounds like a centrifical switch issue and honestly for many it would be an easy diagnosis and fix and something that may not even require parts (though welded contacts would). The good thing is they are sending him a new motor which I think is smart since there is not need for someone to have to learn about diagnosing/adjusting and repairing centrifugal switches during a warranty, unless they just want to. That said I think it is knowledge every (power) woodworker should have in their "tool box".

David Kumm
11-05-2016, 10:59 PM
It's probably cheaper to send a new motor than pay for service. In the numbers they buy, the motors are likely pretty cheap. Dave

Shiraz Balolia
11-06-2016, 4:28 PM
OP - glad they are taking care of you.

We have prepared over 50 videos on how to adjust different things in various machines, from changing cutter-heads to trouble shooting motors and adjusting centrifugal switches.

Here's the one on adjusting centrifugal switches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-j6PhthXJY

Hope everything works out well.

Robin Frierson
11-07-2016, 10:49 AM
I am sure everything will work out Papa Grizz. I had previously stumbled on the Grizzly video of adjusting a centrifugal switch and its looks fairly simple. Those are great videos but you need to give Shaun some lines... :) Would have been easier on the 1023 table saw or 636 bandsaw, with those the motor fan is easily gotten too. Having the jointer out of commission for these few days allowed me to catch up on the Honey to do list and sharpen all my handplanes. So all is well.

Robin Frierson
11-08-2016, 2:38 PM
New motor is installed and jointer is back working better than before....no more loud noise on shutdown. Thanks Grizzly for making this as easy as possible.