PDA

View Full Version : DW705 and DW708, which one?

Brian Bres
11-05-2016, 8:47 AM
I have a DW705 - 12" CMS and a DW708 - 12" SCMS. I don't need 2 of them and want to get rid of one. I am just not sure which one. I am leaning towards keeping the scms for the cut capacity. But it would require more clearance for the slide bars. I will be building a rolling base for which ever one I keep.

Pros or cons for each? Suggestions on which to keep?

Not actual images, just some I found online as these saws are older models.

DW705

DW708

Mike Cutler
11-05-2016, 9:30 AM
Brian

I've owned my DW705 for a long time now. It was originally bought to cut aluminum and tile chair rail pieces, yep tile, for our bathroom project in the mid to late '90's. ( If you ever cut tile and aluminum with yours, you'll become quite adept at taking it apart and putting it back together. :eek:)
No experience with the DW708, but mine is very accurate with full kerf blades, and I know I wouldn't get rid of mine. It's an essential tool for me, at least for the way I work.
I built a rolling cart for it from some plans that were in a magazine and it's been in the shop ever since.It's a nice cart too. It has folding extension wings and an adjustable platform for the saw to level it with wings. The cabinet was supposed to house a little vac, but I use mine to store all my different saw blades.
If the DW708 is as accurate as the DW705 throughout it's travel,or you need the travel length capacity, I would lean toward the DW708. I know that the DW705 is a rock solid little beastie though.
I'd keep the DW705 myself. I could be biased though. ;)

Bruce Wrenn
11-05-2016, 9:24 PM
I own both saws, actually two of the 705's. One stays in shop, and other travels. The 708 was a Christmas gift, and is seldom used. The 705 is the toughest saw Dewalt ever built. You see vinyl siding guys with them mounted on side of trailer, without any kind of protection from elements and they still perform flawlessly every day. I added dust collection to one of my 705 using a "big gulp." Idea was based upon a post by "photog" on another forum many years back.

Ben Rivel
11-06-2016, 2:26 PM
If you dont need a the cut capacity of the sliding miter saw Id get rid of that one. Non-sliding miter saw are just much more stable and truer in their squareness. After getting a track saw and a table saw I have been thinking about selling my DWS780 12 SCMS and getting a DW705 or similar just for crown and short crosscuts. Takes up less room in the shop and if I dont need the capacity, why have the 12" SCMS?!

Brian Bres
11-08-2016, 6:54 AM
Thanks all. It seems the 705 is winning the vote.

Frank Drackman
11-08-2016, 9:13 AM
I have both saws. The slider has a permanent home in the shop with a nice stop system and decent dust collection. The 705 is portable, moving inside the house and beyond. When I looked at the money I could expect by selling either I realized that keeping both provided a much greater value. YMMV.

Brian Bres
11-08-2016, 8:52 PM
I have both saws. The slider has a permanent home in the shop with a nice stop system and decent dust collection. The 705 is portable, moving inside the house and beyond. When I looked at the money I could expect by selling either I realized that keeping both provided a much greater value. YMMV.

Some good points there Frank.