PDA

View Full Version : So who is making money with their laser cutter?

Jason Hakki
11-04-2016, 1:23 AM
As a recent laser cutter purchaser I'm interested to hear from the experienced guys around here. Are you making a living with it? Is it just another tool in a larger shop? And if you are making money off it whats your bread and butter? I'm trying to diversify my three dimensional signage business myself so I'll be looking at doing quick personalized engravings, plaques, key chains, trophies, etc. I am interested to hear of what unique markets you guys are in!

As a side note I'd also be interested to know how you ended up where you are at.

Cheers!

Scott Marquez
11-04-2016, 1:38 AM
Jason,
Welcome, take a few minutes to fill out your profile with your location, and your equipment in your signature line.
My laser is just another piece of equipment which is used in my side business, designing and building custom nylon gear.
Scott

Jason Hakki
11-04-2016, 2:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up Scott, I added some info!

I'm not familiar with nylon gear. Can you elaborate a bit?

John Blazy
11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
I use mine to cut molds which form 3D textured resin panels in which the same laser and same cut file cuts the resin panels according to said mold shape. The last panel job made about 40% profit. As well as cutting lots of other materials to pay the bills, like foam for my sample boxes, 3 x 5 samples for said boxes, teflon gaskets for my spray guns, circular cores for tubes and hook hangers, jewelry for product application brochures, etc. - all indirectly pay the bills by saving time and $.

Scott Marquez
11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up Scott, I added some info!

I'm not familiar with nylon gear. Can you elaborate a bit?
It is the soft gear that Military, police, and sportsmen use.
I sketch an idea with rough dimensions, put it into CAD then cut the fabric on the laser, sew up a sample and make corrections. Once I'm happy I can burn as many copies as needed.
Scott

Chuck Phillips
11-04-2016, 2:21 PM
Most of us have spent many late nights and thousands of dollars figuring out how to make money with our machines. Do your homework and invest your time to find what works for you. Once you have that magic formula, do not post it in any public forum.

Bill George
11-04-2016, 2:41 PM
Ditto what Chuck said....

Gary Hair
11-04-2016, 2:54 PM
As a recent laser cutter purchaser I'm interested to hear from the experienced guys around here. Are you making a living with it? Is it just another tool in a larger shop? And if you are making money off it whats your bread and butter? I'm trying to diversify my three dimensional signage business myself so I'll be looking at doing quick personalized engravings, plaques, key chains, trophies, etc. I am interested to hear of what unique markets you guys are in!

As a side note I'd also be interested to know how you ended up where you are at.

Cheers!

There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.

Jason Hakki
11-04-2016, 4:29 PM
Neat John! Thanks for taking the time. Are you making decorative texture panels, like wainscotting?

Jason Hakki
11-04-2016, 4:47 PM
That sounds very cool Scott!

John Blazy
11-04-2016, 4:49 PM
Kind of. OF course, I agree and have to employ what Chuck, Bill and Gary said, so I won't go into details. However, if you are a contributor, you can read all about my Machineable Opal on the Lumberyard Forum.

Jason Hakki
11-04-2016, 4:56 PM
Hi Chuck, I'm sorry if my post strikes a nerve with you I imagine there are many similar ones over the years. I've built my main business from the ground up by doing exactly what you said. Long hours and late nights and a lot of failed ideas. I'm more than happy to share what I do with anyone who asks, the learning curve is so high and being in business takes so much they are welcome to try. I live in a small town in Canada, so honestly anything most of you guys are doing probably wouldn't be viable here anyway.

But yes, not everyone wants to share and I understand! But anyone who is interested to share, even loosely, what it is they do I'd love to hear! I'm just excited to have another tool in my shop, although I think my CNC router and Plasma cutter will always be the main money makers the laser cutter is a ton of fun.

Mike Null
11-04-2016, 5:57 PM
Jason

There have been quite a few threads on this topic over the years. I suggest trying to do some searches. There is plenty of material and great ideas. In this day and age everybody is a competitor so we don't share all we know but the most important sharing--"how to do something" or "how to fix something" is pretty freely shared.

As you will note by looking at our equipment lists, the laser is only one tool in our arsenal. Most of us have found that there are a number of related processes necessary to serve our customers. In my case laser engraving is not even half of my volume. If you look at my list you see woodworking. I no longer offer any woodworking service--that is for my own entertainment.

Jason Hakki
11-04-2016, 8:50 PM
Kind of. OF course, I agree and have to employ what Chuck, Bill and Gary said, so I won't go into details. However, if you are a contributor, you can read all about my Machineable Opal on the Lumberyard Forum.

Beautiful!

John Lifer
11-04-2016, 9:06 PM
Jason, I'm still waiting on my machine, but irregardless, the hard part really is what to focus on. The laser is such an amazing machine, there is so many things that it can be used to make,embellish, decorate, shape,mark, or enhance. Getting rid of the noise is the problem. I've got a ton of ideas,just getting a handle on a few and focusing on them will be hard. I know 90% of what I try will be worth nothing, but I guess that is the fun!

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2016, 7:58 PM
I bought mine in 1994 to add products to my sign business that I operated from 1993-2008. Beside the usual engraved signs and name badges, custom personalization, and awards, I did some more creative work such as ornaments and marquetry and sold at the shop, a gallery, and a few shows. Eventually I learned that the real money was in manufacturing, and concentrated on the big jobs with cutting and marking, paint filling, and dimensional lettering and logos. At the peak, I averaged about $4,000/month in revenue from the laser. Now that I retired the business, have a good job and just do it on the side, I have a few major manufacturing jobs from companies in other states, and a couple of regular local name badge jobs, amounting to maybe $10k/year, working a weekend or evening every few months. I no longer have a website or do any advertising, the current customers are enough to keep us in extra vacation money, and I have more time for other things like the grandkids and my bonsai.

Jason Hakki
11-06-2016, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the write up Joe. That was very informative and echoed most of my suspicions. Appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed response!