PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this?

Edvins Roze
11-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Hi -

Newbie question. I'm a relatively new woodworker about to build my first set of cabinets with finer wood. I really like the look of the wood used for these cabinets. Could someone help me identify what kind of wood it is?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ed

Paul Girouard
11-03-2016, 11:22 PM
Wild guess by zooming in on the hood parts, Cherry plywood with a light Walnut stain.
A closer photo of the solid wood areas would help , but my guess is you snagged the photo off the net , so it's not something you can take a close up of.

Andy Giddings
11-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Not an expert but the frame looks like an open/coarse grain wood that's been stained, so I would guess either Ash or Red Oak. The side panels are ply (could be Maple that again has been stained). If you want a similar look, you don't have to use the same material, just use a stain to match. I would use a dye rather than a pigment stain. If you look at the Homestead Finishing Products website, you'll see the color chart of the standard range which can be mixed to create almost any tint http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/, along with a whole bunch of instructional information on staining wood

Edvins Roze
11-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Thanks so much Paul for your "wild guess." It's likely much better than My guess would be. I do have these two additional shots... Not sure if these are better.

Edvins Roze
11-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Thank You Andy. I appreciate the tip. I will take a look. I suspect I will have to play a little with various samples to see what comes close..

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 11:39 PM
Based on the cathedrals in the last picture I am guessing oak, but in any case the color appears to be from stain and not the natural wood color.

Paul Girouard
11-04-2016, 1:19 AM
Thanks so much Paul for your "wild guess." It's likely much better than My guess would be. I do have these two additional shots... Not sure if these are better.

Looking at the lower cabinet door left of the dishwasher the flat panel looks like Red Oak, the catherdal's on that panel, but that one panel is the only one where the grain shows up like that. The solid wood door frames don't look like Oak unless it's Rift sawn ??

It's pretty hard to tell from photo's what species a wood is , add to it that it's all most for sure been stained , and the ID becomes even harder to tell what species it is.

Justin Ludwig
11-04-2016, 4:11 PM
Looks like oak and the stain was sprayed, not wiped. I see QS grain, plain sawn, and rift in the pics.

Matt Day
11-04-2016, 7:25 PM
Do you like the wood or the color of the wood? You could make a lot of types of wood that color with the right stain.

Lee Schierer
11-04-2016, 10:01 PM
It looks like stained maple made to look like cherry. Look at one of the drawers. Some manufacturers put their name on drawer sides or backs.

Edvins Roze
11-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Do you like the wood or the color of the wood? You could make a lot of types of wood that color with the right stain.

I must say...that is a tough question. I definitely like the color. I think I like the grain. At first I though it was quarter sawn oak, but now I'm not sure I would be able to definitively identify it. I like the color, and I like a nice grain. Not sure if that helps. The overall look of these cabinets appeals to me, and I was hoping to replicate the look.

Yonak Hawkins
11-05-2016, 12:26 AM
I just don't see enough grain for oak. I'm going to guess birch, or maybe poplar. Where's Danny when we need him ?

brian zawatsky
11-05-2016, 1:56 PM
Looks like stained maple to me. Although there are several parts that show flat sawn grain with cathedrals, they are the exception rather than the norm. If this was oak there would be no doubt about it.

Van Huskey
11-05-2016, 2:02 PM
Another option would be beech

Justin Ludwig
11-05-2016, 4:38 PM
Without a doubt, it is not maple, birch or poplar. The likely hood of beech is very slim. Beech has similar grain but dissimilar pores to oak.

Picture 1 - left cabinet door has a flat panel that is clearly quarter-sawn and IMO, oak. The left stile of the corner cabinets is flat/plain sawn. The vent hood veneer is quarter and rift sawn. The light moldings and the top cap moldings are the clearest indicators of oak.

Picture 2 - left of the dishwasher has a glued up quartersawn drawer face, QS stiles and rails, and a plain sawn flat panel. Indicators of oak.

I have $5 that it's oak.

The island has no grain that I can see from these pics. It could be maple, birch or poplar.

Danny Hamsley
11-09-2016, 11:29 AM
I agree with Justin. Ir certainly looks like it is oak given the quarter figure and the strong grain.

Jim Becker
11-09-2016, 4:12 PM
QSWO would be my guess, both to what I see as well as the style.