PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley tongue and groove cutters

lowell holmes
11-03-2016, 8:14 PM
I got a set recently and I'm learning to use them. I am posting this in any of you
have an interest in them. As you know, they work in the Veritas Small Plow Plane.

I bought two 1/4 white wood boards from the BORG.

The cutters fit well in the plane as expected. I used two 3/4" X 24" long boards to practice on.
The first try was successful but had some issues, such as the land(?) under the tongue was
a bit hollow from end to end and I had experienced some tear out. The groove is 1/4" wide.

On the second try I decided to scribe some lines with a miter gauge defining the shoulders and the tongue.
I marked the width of the tongue before starting. I did the same for the groove. The second tongue and
groove was trial was markedly improved.

If any of you have this set, I would appreciate suggestions.
I will do another tomorrow using hardwood instead of white wood.

Glen Canaday
11-03-2016, 9:06 PM
I have seen people mark their shoulders and tongue before.

But when I see tearout, normally it is in the bottom of the groove where it will never be seen. Is that what you had? Or was it on the shoulders of the tongue?

lowell holmes
11-03-2016, 9:57 PM
It was on the first attempt that the tear out occured . It as on the shoulders.
After I marked the shoulders, it never happened. I am glad to know that it is
not uncommon. I am learning to use the cutters and have a ways to go. White
wood is prone to tearout. The bottom of the groove, while not likable, really cant be seen.

I'm sure there are many tips and techniques to be learned. Thanks for the response.
I will try some maple tomorrow.

Derek Cohen
11-03-2016, 11:31 PM
I got a set recently and I'm learning to use them. I am posting this in any of you
have an interest in them. As you know, they work in the Veritas Small Plow Plane.

I bought two 1/4 white wood boards from the BORG.

The cutters fit well in the plane as expected. I used two 3/4" X 24" long boards to practice on.
The first try was successful but had some issues, such as the land(?) under the tongue was
a bit hollow from end to end and I had experienced some tear out. The groove is 1/4" wide.

On the second try I decided to scribe some lines with a miter gauge defining the shoulders and the tongue.
I marked the width of the tongue before starting. I did the same for the groove. The second tongue and
groove was trial was markedly improved.

If any of you have this set, I would appreciate suggestions.
I will do another tomorrow using hardwood instead of white wood.

Hi Lowell

I am not sure what is occurring without seeing it. Any pics? Ploughing a groove is ploughing a groove, regardless of whether it is a single groove or a double groove. The Small Plow has a wonderful reputation in this regard. So trying to understand what is going on .. user error, wood choice ... grain direction .. ?

I have used this set up a number of times on interlocked grain without any difficulty. There is an example in my review: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/AccessoryBladesfortheVeritasSmallPlow.html

Perhaps this may be a time to try out a 15 degree back bevel, as I posted recently when reporting on the beading cutters.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
11-03-2016, 11:37 PM
As with many situations using a plow or other molding plane the grain is everything.

Not only do you want the grain rising over the length you are working, it makes a difference how the grain on the edge being work is angled in relation to the fence. One side will be ragged if the grain isn't fairly straight. A bit of scoring before planing with a marking gauge will be a help.

jtk

lowell holmes
11-04-2016, 1:05 AM
Derek,
I think I am about there. I am just learning to use the tongue and groove cutters.
The first try produced minor tear out in some places. The second try was good. I am still having a bit of concavity
on what is the edges left on the face of the board after the tongue is planed. I'm talking about the lands.
That's why I marked the boards so I have a reference. The second set was much improved. The reason for
the post is to see if anyone else experienced what I did. I want the edges to be perfect after planing.
Also, marking the tongue lands provides a line to plane to.
The small plow plane is still new to me and I am learning the technique required. I will plow more tongue and grooves
tomorrow using a hardwood and see if the quality improves. I don't have any 4/4 stock, so I will have to make
some boards to use.

I've not had any issues before with the plane. It is a keeper. I did have to tighten the bracket that holds the depth stop.
It was loose and fortunately I have an allen wrench small enough to use on it.

Also, my set up is for a single skate plane. Your set up is the double skate. Why would I need the double skate plane if I'm
only working with wood 1" wide or less.

Thanks for responding.

Bill McDermott
11-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Lowell, Did you start with a short cut at the far side of the board, then take increasingly longer cuts until finally making full length cuts? When I learned to do that, many problems went away.

lowell holmes
11-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Lowell, Did you start with a short cut at the far side of the board, then take increasingly longer cuts until finally making full length cuts? When I learned to do that, many problems went away.
That is nice tip Bill. I don't think I did that. I bet it will solve my issues. Thanks.