PDA

View Full Version : Earlex

Ted Prinz
11-03-2016, 1:45 PM
Anybody have experience with the Earlex 2-stage HVLP SprayPort with their Pro-8 pressure gun? It's on sale at Highland for a pretty nice price. I've been using an Apology HVLP conversion gun with my shop compressor for years with decent results (after the learning curve). I've thought for some time it might be nice to move on to a dedicated turbine unit but the cost for a good unit has kept me at a distance. Thanks for the input in advance.

John TenEyck
11-03-2016, 4:05 PM
Why do you want a turbine unit if you have a large compressor? You could upgrade to a much higher quality gun for probably no more than the Earlex and you will get better results with that than you ever will with a 2-stage turbine.

John

Ted Prinz
11-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Interesting. I'd always heard & read that a multistage unit would give the best results. Truth be told I've gotten good results with the Apollo but have felt it could always be better. And depending on how you define it, my compressor isn't "large". Thanks for the input.

Andy Giddings
11-07-2016, 12:34 AM
John's spot on, Ted. As long as your compressor has the cfm necessary, the main difference between the two systems is tweaking the air pressure to get the right output on a compressor system. From what I've read you need something around 8cfm at 40psi for a full size HVLP conversion gun. You'll also need filtration if not already in place. Sounds like you already have this hence the recommendation for a better gun being the best value

Curt Harms
11-08-2016, 9:27 AM
Why do you want a turbine unit if you have a large compressor? You could upgrade to a much higher quality gun for probably no more than the Earlex and you will get better results with that than you ever will with a 2-stage turbine.

John

Portability would be one answer. I bought an Earlex largely for that reason.

Prashun Patel
11-08-2016, 10:33 AM
I have a 2-stage unit (Fuji Semipro). I am sure better results are possible, but ask yourself first what you are spraying.

If you are spraying shellac, lacquer and some water-based finishes, then the econ units like these may do fine for you. I get very good results that look professional enough for my eyes, and I very much appreciate the portability of the unit (since I do not have a dedicated area to spray.)