PDA

View Full Version : Domino Glueup

Robin Frierson
11-03-2016, 11:34 AM
So I am doing my second project using the domino 700. So its a pretty simple glueup...two solid wood side panels going into 4 legs. Four dominos per each side panel edge. Total 16 dominos and 32 mortises. Using Lee Valley cabinetmakers glue which claims 15-20 minute open time and I needed ever minute of it.

Lot of surfaces to cover if you coat all the mortises and dominos and the 4 edges. Was in huge rush to get it done and clamped square. Not sure if it is worth it...I could have build this case with a dado and rabbit or stub tenon joint just as quickly and without the rushed glue up......So some have said just skip coating the mortises and just coat the dominos. Is that advisable?? I thought about using Plastic Resin glue but its a little to cold for it now.

Erik Christensen
11-03-2016, 2:23 PM
16 domino's in a single glueup should not be a problem - I have done case assembly solo with a lot more than that and not had open time issues. here is what i do to minimize the hassle at assembly time.

only need to put glue in mortises (do NOT need to glue the domino's) and do not need to use a brush - I run glue tip along both long edges of the mortise and pound in a domino - I have done this thousands of times and never had a single issue

one or both mortises are a snug fit - you can put all your domino's in one of the pair of mortises at any time - even the day before - as long as you make sure no glue is outside the mortise it does not matter - think of that step as 'making a tenon'.....

now with all domino's glued into one of the mortises your are ready for assembly where open time clock starts - run a bead of glue around inside lip of every mortise and a bead of glue between mortises and clamp together

eazy-peezy

Prashun Patel
11-03-2016, 2:37 PM
Or glue up sub-assemblies, then combine them when the sub's are dry.

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 2:56 PM
Or glue up sub-assemblies, then combine them when the sub's are dry.

That is how I tend to do large glue-ups, in the past I have made major mistakes racing against the open time of glue.

John Lanciani
11-03-2016, 2:59 PM
I've had my Domino since they first came out and I have used a couple thousand dominoes and I rarely bother to put glue on the domino. I just squirt some glue in the mortise and spread it around with a swipe or two with an acid brush.

Marc Burt
11-03-2016, 10:20 PM
I'll have to try the mortises next time. I'm a glue on the domino guy (none in the mortise). I've not had a problem with open time yet but I would think squirting it in he mortise would be faster.

I use titebond 3 if I have a bunch to do. The longer open time is nice.

Frank Martin
11-03-2016, 10:28 PM
I use West System epoxy with 90 min open time for complex assemblies. Helps reduce stress quite a bit and price is not bad at all given cost per project.

jack duren
11-04-2016, 7:39 PM
Titebond extend if you need working time.

Larry Edgerton
11-05-2016, 8:51 AM
I keep a spray bottle handy and mist the parts where they will recieve glue just a bit before I start the glueup. It stops the initial absorption of moisture by the dry wood and has not caused any issues. Not wet, just damp. On some parts I use a wet rag if that works better.