PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help

Ricc Havens
11-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Got two small log sections from an old neighbor next door to my parents. Unfortunately all the small limbs and leaves had been already consumed by a bonfire so I couldn't get a leaf to help ID the wood. Was able to get these two small logs before they got thrown into the fire.

The guy wasn't sure what kind of tree it was but it was a small tree right next to their house. Main trunk was about 9-10" and height was about 10ft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ricc Havens
Elkhart, IN346859346860

William Bachtel
11-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Without leaves I wood guess Dogwood. Is it heavy and dense for it size?

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2016, 7:24 PM
I do lean to Dogwood also, the bark looks typically like that

Bob Bouis
11-03-2016, 8:27 PM
If it was next a house you might be able to see it on google maps.

Ricc Havens
11-04-2016, 9:53 AM
Per Bob's suggestion about a photo from google maps - I had my folks check this morning with their neighbor for permission to post a pic of their house. here is the photo of the tree from google maps per Bob's suggestion. It's the tree blocking the view of the front door on the house on the right.

https://goo.gl/maps/ATeRXufmbfy

Thanks
Ricc

John K Jordan
11-04-2016, 6:33 PM
If it is dogwood, the wood should be very hard and dense, fine grain, diffuse porous, and no visible pores without magnification. Color is creamy white, often with a pink cast. It warps like crazy as it dries. To minimize splitting try to cut the brown heartwood out of the blanks and seal it well, both on the end grain and any sides of blanks that have both sapwood and the dark heartwood. Dogwood is one of my favorite turning woods. I've cut a lot of it over the years and often add to what is drying - what I'm turning now has been drying for about 10 years.

Some dogwood ID bark pictures, for example these:
http://treebarkid.com/index.php/dogwood

JKJ

Joe Kieve
11-06-2016, 7:54 AM
Per Bob's suggestion about a photo from google maps - I had my folks check this morning with their neighbor for permission to post a pic of their house. here is the photo of the tree from google maps per Bob's suggestion. It's the tree blocking the view of the front door on the house on the right.

https://goo.gl/maps/ATeRXufmbfy

Thanks
Ricc

Not sure what you have but doesn't look any dogwood I've ever seen and I have several in my yard. John is correct...creamy white with a pink cast. When it's dry it's hard as a rock. I have several lathe tool handles made from dogwood.

Ricc Havens
11-06-2016, 9:31 AM
Not sure what you have but doesn't look any dogwood I've ever seen and I have several in my yard. John is correct...creamy white with a pink cast. When it's dry it's hard as a rock. I have several lathe tool handles made from dogwood.

I would say the color is creamy. Maybe more creamy than white. Not sure of the pink cast as I'm partially color blind with reds, oranges, pinks etc. I will try to get the chainsaw out tomorrow and cut one in half to get a photo of the long grain of the wood. Naybe that will help pinpoint the species.

Ricc