PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tires for 18" Rikon

John K Jordan
11-03-2016, 8:50 AM
I'm looking for quality tires for my 18" Rikon bandsaw, 10-345.

The existing tires are about 15 years old and beginning to compress in the middle where the blade rides. This can cause huge problems in the otherwise finely tuned saw since any forward-back movement can cause the blade to suddenly ride up and try center on the now slightly raised edge of the depression.

Dr. Google prescribes several vendors, but those I checked say "fits any 18" bandsaw" or worse, "fits most 18-20" bandsaws". This doesn't inspire confidence.

Anyone have experience with new tires for this saw? Best to order them directly from Rikon?

JKJ

Cary Falk
11-03-2016, 9:04 AM
Look on the Bay for Blue Max. If you can't find what you want then call them at 908-241-2885

Geoff Crimmins
11-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Woodworkers Toolworks sells nice rubber tires. If you buy them, be sure to also buy a bottle of cement. You can call them to confirm that they will fit your machine. http://store.woodworkerstoolworks.com/rubber-bandsaw-tire/

--Geoff

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 11:20 AM
First, you don't want rubber glue-on tires for the Rikon. Second, my favorite tire for the Chiwanese saws is the orange urethane ones Sulpher Grove makes.

https://sgtool.com/product/ubst-rikon-18-10-345/

That said Blue Max and Carter also make good tires as well.

John K Jordan
11-03-2016, 4:24 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I would prefer the urathane tires. I process a lot of green wood for turning and had to turn the saw off a few minutes ago when I smelled burning rubber so I'll order some today from one of these places.

JKJ

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 4:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I would prefer the urathane tires. I process a lot of green wood for turning and had to turn the saw off a few minutes ago when I smelled burning rubber so I'll order some today from one of these places.

JKJ

The rubber ones aren't designed for crowned wheel saws like the Rikon, they are designed for flat tired saws and you crown the tire yourself.

John K Jordan
11-03-2016, 5:33 PM
The rubber ones aren't designed for crowned wheel saws like the Rikon, they are designed for flat tired saws and you crown the tire yourself.

The tire which began to destruct with the distinct smell of burning rubber was the original factory tire that came with the Rikon bandsaw. The metal wheel is indeed crowned and the tire is not crowned but flat. I've never burned urathane so I don't know if it smells like burning rubber. If it doesn't, perhaps the factory tire is rubber but uncrowned.

I have a new set of urathane tires coming Saturday. I'll take a break from cutting up trees until then. I probably have a three-lifetime supply of turning wood now - maybe I already have enough. Nah.

JKJ

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 5:39 PM
The tire which began to destruct with the distinct smell of burning rubber was the original factory tire that came with the Rikon bandsaw. The metal wheel is indeed crowned and the tire is not crowned but flat. I've never burned urathane so I don't know if it smells like burning rubber. If it doesn't, perhaps the factory tire is rubber but uncrowned.

I have a new set of urathane tires coming Saturday. I'll take a break from cutting up trees until then. I probably have a three-lifetime supply of turning wood now - maybe I already have enough. Nah.

JKJ

I was specifically talking about the rubber tires mentioned in the thread. I honestly don;t know what the old Rikon tires were made of. I tend to prefer urethane if nothing else for the ease of application the last pair of rubber tires I bought was a pair of T groove Safety tires for a Delta 28-350 20" and they were a pain to mount even though they don;t have to be glued.

John Ziebron
11-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Hi John,

I bought the Rikon 18 inch bandsaw when it first came out and needed to replace the tires in February. I bought Peachtree urethane tires from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H685B8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They were fairly easy to put on and there was no trimming necessary with them. They made the saw a bit quieter too. No problems with them so far.

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Hi John,

I bought the Rikon 18 inch bandsaw when it first came out and needed to replace the tires in February. I bought Peachtree urethane tires from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H685B8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They were fairly easy to put on and there was no trimming necessary with them. They made the saw a bit quieter too. No problems with them so far.

Those are the Sulpher Grove I mentioned but cheaper than the SG site I linked to.