PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight electric body saw

Stephen Tashiro
11-02-2016, 8:13 PM
Out of curiousity, I purchased a Chicago Electric electric body saw from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-body-saw-65766.html I tried using it to cut pieces out of a computer case. ( I tried both a coarse blade and a fine blade. ) The saw hardly makes any progress in cutting the thin metal.

It that normal operation for an automotive body saw? How does it cut through automotive body panels if it can't cut up a computer case ?

Myk Rian
11-02-2016, 8:46 PM
What blades did you use? HFs?

Stephen Tashiro
11-03-2016, 12:14 PM
What blades did you use? HFs?

Yes, I used blades from Harbor Freight.

Myk Rian
11-03-2016, 2:32 PM
Well, there's your problem.

Stephen Tashiro
11-04-2016, 2:21 AM
Well, there's your problem.

Who sells better (and compatible) auto body saw blades ?

Ken Combs
11-04-2016, 3:54 PM
Who sells better (and compatible) auto body saw blades ?

I have an air body saw and have always used metal cutting hacksaw, jigsaw, or recip saw blades after grinding the shank to fit.

Cary Falk
11-04-2016, 4:14 PM
I always cut metal with a jigsaw and a good Bosch metal blade That saw shouldn't have a problem with a good blade but I don't know who makes a blade that fits it.

Van Huskey
11-04-2016, 5:37 PM
For some reason I had this in mind when I opened the thread

Bill Dufour
07-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Old thread but I bought a ridgid small reciprocating saw today $70 at home depot. Keyless chuck same blades as a standard saws all. Only 1/2" stroke so less vibration a little slower, led lights. Works well under the house for cutting water pipes. Designed for one hand operation so one hand is free to steady the work. If you do not the work will just shake and no cutting occurs.
Bill D.

Lowes has a different brand same idea. The HF version is a toy by comparison and you will lose the blade wrench under the house in the mud etc. The hf version the motor is about the size of an electrical outlet. not the box the outlet inside.