PDA

View Full Version : McNaughton Center Saver Question

Mike Goetzke
11-02-2016, 7:14 PM
Little over a year ago I bought the kit with large and standard blades. I have only cored a few bowls but plan to do several more. I see they estimate 4-8", 6-10", 8-14", and 10-18"+ for the micro, mini, standard and large blade sets respectively.

I was wanting to buy some individual knives to make smaller cores (Lee Valley has free shipping right now). But, I know from my current large/standard sets that the sets seem to overlap. In other words the radius on some of the std. seem to be the same as the large. If I wanted to compliment my current arsenal to produce smaller cores I'm sure I don't need to buy full sets of mini and micro - hopefully just one or two more knives???

Hopefully someone has experience and figured this out. Appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,

Mike

Reed Gray
11-02-2016, 9:05 PM
I can't remember for sure, but think there are 4 sets; large, standard, small, and micro. I do 90% of my coring with the standard set and the medium curve blade. If I was doing sets like Mike Mahoney, then I would use the mini to squeeze out the most from a piece of beautiful burl. For standard bowls, you don't need them. I don't core less than 10 inch diameter and 4 inches deep. I end up with too many tiny bowls which do sell, but take a surprising amount of time.

robo hippy

David Gilbert
11-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Reed,

I am interested in doing sets like (well similar to) Mike Mahoney where there are lots of bowls nested together. I have the standard set of blades. Each of the blades has a curved diameter like 7, 11, & 14". If I start by coring out a 7" bowl and want the next bowl to be about 8" in diameter, there is a problem. When I move the starting point out it doesn't seem possible to use the 7" blade to cut an 8" bowl with the same profile as when the 7" blade cuts a 7" bowl. The bowl will be wider but also flatter. Do Mike and the others who do these amazing nested sets have a whole series of blades where the blade diameters increase uniformly so they can cut out these uniform bowls?

Cheers,
David G

Reed Gray
11-03-2016, 11:57 AM
If I was going to make a personal set of blades. I would start with about a 3 inch radius, and go up from there in 1 inch increments. Given the shapes of the feet on the bowls, it is difficult to move in 1 inch steps though, unless you are making 'earthquake' indicator bowls with round bottoms. You still need a flat space for your chuck to grab onto. With a burl, most have a convex top, so that does make the process easier. Starting with a standard bowl blank, you don't get as many cores. Mike does explain a bit about that in his video, I explain some of that in my video as well, which is up on You Tube. Only other consideration is that the smaller blades have a narrower tip so they remove less wood.

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
11-03-2016, 10:28 PM
The article in the AAW journal a few years ago on coring had a supplemental PDF that might be of use, this PDF is (was?) available on the AAW web-site.
Among other things this PDF showed the radius of each blade and showed an overlap between blades. I don't have it in my hands, but as I recall the "small" and "medium" blades in the large set had the same radius as the "medium" and "large" blades on the standard set. Only the large blades are longer.

David Delo
11-04-2016, 8:18 AM
American Woodturner Feb. 2013 Vol 28 No 1 is the article I believe Ralph is referring to.