PDA

View Full Version : First tools

Brent Cutshall
11-02-2016, 6:59 PM
Howdy folks! This is my first question in the turners forum. I am in the process of building a Da Vinci/Roy Underhill treadle lathe(I've of course added to it's currently instilled genius). But I need a tool set and have my eyes on one of the ones from Harbor Freight. My question is does anybody have experience with these sets and if not can some recommend a turning set for a beginner, like me with a budget of about $40-$80.

William C Rogers
11-02-2016, 7:55 PM
It was my first set. I still use the parting tool today. Just like it for some reason. The set I have is red handle that some say was a better set than the ones now. IMO it a good set to learn with and learn sharpening. Hurricane and Benjamin Best are also value priced for starting out.

Frederick Skelly
11-02-2016, 8:50 PM
Lotsa talk in the archives about the HF set. Consensus seemed to be "yes, good starter set". I started turning a month ago and bought that set. They work just fine.

You'll need a couple other things, if you dont have them already: a grinder, a wolverine jig, an Ellsworth jig. You can easily build both jigs by googling them. Lotsa ways to build those.

(Sorry I cant help more. I have reached the limit of my experience. :D)

Ted Prinz
11-03-2016, 2:17 PM
You get what you pay for. Evidently you aren't interested in getting top-of-the-line tooling (and paying the price for it). So, I'm thinking the Harbor Freight set might suit you just fine. It was my first set, also, and I, too, am still using some of the pieces. Just remember that this is not high-speed steel, so you won't be able to keep an edge very long. That worked out pretty good for me because since I had to sharpen often I "perfected" my sharpening technique quicker.

Ryan Mooney
11-03-2016, 2:41 PM
Since you're already making your own lathe.. in for a pinch, in for a pound? :D

http://woodturninglearn.net/articles/makinghooktool.htm
http://aroundthewoods.com/hooktool.shtml

Won't do everything you want of course, you'd also want at least a skew, parting tool, and likely a roughing gouge to start with. Practically you could also make all of those except perhaps the roughing gouge.

Be aware that HF has two turning tool sets, the one most people like is around $65 and IS high speed steel (of some sort), and the $18 one is some kind of junk pot metal. I ended up buying individual pieces from PSI (Benjamins Best) which are roughly comparable quality but have the advantage that you can buy onesie twosie as you want.

For "normal" (traditional? I hesitate to use that word.. anyway).. Minimally you'd want a skew (1"), parting tool (1/8"), spindle rouging gouge (3/4"), spindle detail gouge (3/8"), and a bowl gouge (1/2" - technically you could replace the spindle gouge with this for ~many~ things.. if I had to save a few bucks to start I'd skip the spindle gouge). The sizes are rough recommendations, but should generally get you pretty close to going.

Aaron Craven
11-03-2016, 3:12 PM
...Be aware that HF has two turning tool sets, the one most people like is around $65 and IS high speed steel (of some sort), and the $18 one is some kind of junk pot metal. I ended up buying individual pieces from PSI (Benjamins Best) which are roughly comparable quality but have the advantage that you can buy onesie twosie as you want...

Agreed, except that I think the BB tools are a little more consistent in terms of quality. I have the HF set as well as some BB tools... The BB tools are hardly Doug Thomspon steel, but they're consistently good enough. Of my HF set, about 2/3 of the tools are fine, the other 1/3 won't hold an edge. Also, HF does not sell a bowl gouge.

For my part, I would say that if you need a large set of various tools (or if you're not sure what you need), go with the HF set to get started, and supplement as needed with other brands. If you know what you need, it may be better to purchase the tools you want individually.

One other thing to note... you need a way to sharpen your tools regularly. This is easily as important as the tools themselves.

Mark Greenbaum
11-03-2016, 3:37 PM
I purchased a set that is marked as HSS (8 tools in a wooden box). I still use all of them today, some 5 years later. They're great to learn on, and to learn to sharpen. I recently re-shaped the pointy scraper into a rounded negative rake scraper.

Ryan Mooney
11-03-2016, 4:55 PM
Agreed, except that I think the BB tools are a little more consistent in terms of quality. I have the HF set as well as some BB tools... The BB tools are hardly Doug Thomspon steel, but they're consistently good enough. Of my HF set, about 2/3 of the tools are fine, the other 1/3 won't hold an edge. Also, HF does not sell a bowl gouge.

Ah I didn't realize that their set didn't include a bowl gouge. That puts the math more firmly into the buy ones and twos as you want (err. NEED definitely need ;)) them camp for me.

Brent Cutshall
11-03-2016, 7:37 PM
Thanks all. Like some have suggested, I have no idea what I need for turning. All I'll be making with the lathe is spindles and and the like, no bowls(for the time being). As for sharpening, some of you might know me for back at Neanderthal Haven, and I only possess hand tools due to stubbornness and monetary reasons. So I sharpen my tools by hand(I do have a hand grinder that I use from time to time) I reckon this will either show my skill or lack of there in. I have Leonard Lee's book on sharpening to study so I should be alright. I think I'll buy HF's good set and go from there, this won't be a thing I'll spend much time in though(so I'll say now). Thanks again folks!

Ryan Mooney
11-03-2016, 7:56 PM
this won't be a thing I'll spend much time in though(so I'll say now).

There's the optimism... :D Welcome to the vortex :cool:

Dane Riley
11-04-2016, 2:09 PM
Make sure they are properly hardened by trying to file them. A file will not touch a hardened tool. Unfortunately only ~1/3 of my set was hardened. The rest will not hold an edge.

Brent Cutshall
11-04-2016, 5:47 PM
Make sure they are properly hardened by trying to file them. A file will not touch a hardened tool. Unfortunately only ~1/3 of my set was hardened. The rest will not hold an edge.
Shoot, I learned the filing aspect with moulding plane blades. One was hardened and I was trying to shape the face, ruined two files like an idiot. If I know what steel they are, I could probably harden them.

Jamie Straw
11-05-2016, 1:19 AM
One of our recent demonstrators made a point about how all of us turners have a number of tools that we thought were a good idea, but never use. Perhaps we could start a list for Brent's perusal? My "useless tool" will rub some the wrong way, but so goes it -- an oval skew. Square scraper comes in second place, though I did use it by re-grinding to a negative rake scraper.:cool:

John K Jordan
11-05-2016, 8:30 AM
One of our recent demonstrators made a point about how all of us turners have a number of tools that we thought were a good idea, but never use. Perhaps we could start a list for Brent's perusal? My "useless tool" will rub some the wrong way, but so goes it -- an oval skew. Square scraper comes in second place, though I did use it by re-grinding to a negative rake scraper.:cool:

Jamie, That might be interesting to a lot of people. To pursue this you might start a new thread so it won't be buried.

Keeping in mind that one person's useless can be another's favorite, a new turner might get the best advice for tool if the pros and cons were discussed. Much would depend on the type of turning the person enjoys or hopes to enjoy some day.

My useless list would include a couple of Easy Wood tools and a Sorby ring tool. My often-used list would include that oval skew you mentioned. :) (I have two)

Also, the useless list can change over time with changing interests and skills. My lists from today and 10 years ago would have some tools swapping sides.

JKJ