PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly: Big Gloat

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2005, 11:03 PM
At least it is a big gloat for me. :D Well at 11:30 am a new machine showed up at the door via truck. My Grizzly G0555 made it in. So I spent the evening putting it together along with the riser block. It took about 2 hrs. myself to put it together. The lovely lady of the shop started the big bolt that holds the riser in place. I checked all of the alignments on it and all but one were dead on out of the box. I love the quick release. There is virtually no viberation at all. It is so smooth. If it wasn't so late I would cut some wood but the boss says not tonight. She did let me buy it so she could have the little bandsaw so I don't think I will argue now.

Steve Roxberg
10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Very nice Bernie and nice to see another person from Kansas.

Did you pick it up in Springfield, or have them deliver it?

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Nice to see you got the Riser kit. You will be happy you did.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks Steve and Bruce. Yes Bruce I was told to buy what I wanted now. So I got the riser. I am already glad I did. I also got a 3/4" 2 tpi for resawing logs and a 3/4" 3 tpi for resawing and general cutting other lumber from Suffolk (Timberwolf). I also got the 1/2" woodslicer from Highland Hardware to see how it works for like resawing veneer. Steve I bid and got it off ebay. It did come from Springfield and was delivered by truck today.

Dan Forman
10-05-2005, 3:37 AM
Bernie---Nice looking saw, congrat's. You are lucky indeed that the lady is into WW too.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
10-05-2005, 3:42 AM
Great saw, and worthy of a big gloat Bernie. Wow...a 2-bandsaw family. Hard to beat that.

- Vaughn

Keith Burns
10-05-2005, 8:27 AM
Excellent Gloat. I know you will enjoy it.

Corey Hallagan
10-05-2005, 8:33 AM
Hey way to go there Bernie. Excellent saw. Glad it arrived it good condition and all is well. I am envious. Have fun it the shop!

Corey

Jeff Sudmeier
10-05-2005, 8:36 AM
Congrats Bernie! That should be a great machine for some time!

Even with my 20" bandsaw, there are times where I wish I had a 14". It is on my never ending list! :)

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks again to all. Yes it is nice to have her in the shop working with me. The only thing that worries me is that she is getting better than I am on the bandsaw especially when she uses it for scrolling. :eek: Last night she asked if I was going to show her how to use the big router I got last week. I told her if I did I would have to get another one so we wouldn't fight over it. :D I got the look over the top of her glasses as she said you already have 2 of them.

Keith Foster
10-05-2005, 2:34 PM
Grizzly? You bought a Grizzly? Are you insane? :eek:

Me too! I love a good bear story!:D I've got your bandsaw's bigger brother (and several of it's other siblings). Confident you'll love the saw! Enjoy.

Christopher Stahl
10-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Congratulations Bernie! I have the 555 with the riser kit and it's been a great saw. Enjoy!!!

chris

Bob Oehler
10-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Have fun with your new saw. I have very little room and even less funds but that modle is on my top 2 got to have list the other being a decent planer. Keep us posted how it does resawing logs and veneer.

Keep on cutting
Bob Oehler

lou sansone
10-06-2005, 8:17 AM
best wishes with the new saw. so how does it cut?

lou

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2005, 8:57 AM
Congrats Bernie! Be sure to report to us on it's performance!

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2005, 1:06 PM
Thanks again guys. The saw cuts just beautiful. I put a 1/2" woodslicer on and tuned it up. I cut some 1/16" and 1/8" veneer last night from some scrap 1 X 6 oak. It cut so clean all I did was sanded it a little which is probably the blade more than the saw. Also resawed some 8/4 ash 1 X 8 and didn't even bother to slow the saw down. After using the smaller saw which had some vibration this thing you can stand a nickel on it, hit the start button and it doesn't even shake. I am waiting on my 3/4" 3 tpi and 3/4" 2 tpi timberwolf blades to show up from Suffolk. I have 3 walnut logs 5 ft. long by 10" in diameter. I am anxious to see how it cuts them. Suffolk recommended the 3/4" 2 tpi for resawing log.

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 1:21 PM
Thanks for the tip, Bernie. I've been thinking about trying a Woodslicer blade.

-Andy

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2005, 1:26 PM
Andy, I was amazed at the smoothness of the cut. I sanded a little and my wife couldn't tell which side I had cut.

Andrew Ault
10-06-2005, 1:32 PM
That sounds good to me. I remember when I got my Forrest II and what a difference it made for my tablesaw. I'll check out the Woodslicer. I like my Grizzly BS also - including the riser block.

- Andy

Kurt Forbes
10-06-2005, 7:02 PM
I have the same bandsaw and I am a little disappointed with the imberwolf blades neither cut as clean as the crap blade that came on the bandsaw in the first place. They all cut like butter but the cut was serrated almost I may have to add even more tension.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-07-2005, 9:17 AM
Congrats on the new bandsaw!

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks Kelly and Kurt. Kurt I don't think the timberwolf blades do cut as smooth as the woodslicer does. Not from what I have seen so far at least for the 3tpi blade. I must say they do cut good and better than a couple of others I have tried. I think some of my problem is the way I feed the wood into the blade. i mean not feeding at a constant speed. Sometimes on the timberwolf blades I get a pretty smooth cut and others I don't. So I am not sure at this point.