PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthal Hand Tool Therapy for wounded/disabled veterans

Andy Nichols
11-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Well Rob now has 6 or 7 veterans attending his week long November Hand Tool course all expenses paid!

Plus he is providing tools, including his hand saws to those that don't have them! If you have taken this week long class or watched the video about it then you know it's a long list of tools.

Wanted to say thanks to any contributors that may frequent this Forum, it's outstanding and greatly appreciated.....

Please pass the word that Cosman's giving Lifetime Memberships in his Video Hand Tool classes to wounded/disabled veterans.

What a great way to promote Hand Tool Woodworking and help Veterans!

Have no business affiliation with Rob or any of his business partners, just a Wounded Warrior that greatly appreciates someone actually doing something for disabled veterans.

Again, my thanks to Rob and his contributors.....

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

Frederick Skelly
11-02-2016, 5:47 PM
........just a Wounded Warrior that greatly appreciates someone actually doing something for disabled veterans.

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

Andy,
You and your brothers deserve nothing less than whatever kindness we can show you.Thank you for all you've done to make the world a safer and better place.

Respectfully,
Fred

Andy Nichols
11-03-2016, 6:09 AM
Fred:

Thanks for the kind words....

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

Rob Luter
11-03-2016, 9:20 AM
I didn't have the privilege of serving, but both my father and father in law were both veterans. We have a great deal of respect for the armed forces at our house. God bless you for your service.

Also, a big attaboy to Rob Cosman for this.

Mike Henderson
11-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Andy,
You and your brothers deserve nothing less than whatever kindness we can show you.Thank you for all you've done to make the world a safer and better place.

Respectfully,
Fred
I'll second that, and also extend thanks to Rob for offering the course for these veterans. Thanks to you both.

Mike

Dan Carroll
11-03-2016, 10:38 AM
My brother has been waiting out a VA disability for several years now. He was awarded a purple heart in action off of Beirut in the 1980's, has lung issues from a fire on a sub and other problems that flow from jumping out of air planes etc. When I can get him into my shop, it seems to be good for him, but he really needs his own tools and a place to work. How do I explore this program? It sounds like it would be good for him. His latest issues area result of work for a private contractor doing IED counter measures research at Yuma that went well until the charges he set off in turn set of a bunch of buried WWII land mines that were not on the map. So what is going on now is the VA is taking there sweet time and trying to put the blame all on the private contractor and ignoring the service related issues.

Mike Henderson
11-03-2016, 12:19 PM
My brother has been waiting out a VA disability for several years now. He was awarded a purple heart in action off of Beirut in the 1980's, has lung issues from a fire on a sub and other problems that flow from jumping out of air planes etc. When I can get him into my shop, it seems to be good for him, but he really needs his own tools and a place to work. How do I explore this program? It sounds like it would be good for him. His latest issues area result of work for a private contractor doing IED counter measures research at Yuma that went well until the charges he set off in turn set of a bunch of buried WWII land mines that were not on the map. So what is going on now is the VA is taking there sweet time and trying to put the blame all on the private contractor and ignoring the service related issues.
My experience with the VA, and what I hear from others, is that the VA does an initial determination within 6 months. If they reject your claim, you can file an appeal and that can go on for a long time (if they reject your appeal, you can file another appeal with slightly different claims, etc.).

But, again, my experience, and what I hear from others, is that the VA is pretty liberal in granting a disability rating. They seem to give the benefit of the doubt to the veteran. For example, if you're a Vietnam veteran and come down with Type II diabetes they will almost certainly grant you a disability rating because of assumed exposure to Agent Orange. Personally, I believe that a lot of the Type II diabetes that us older veterans come down with is because we're overweight and not because of Agent Orange exposure, but the VA will give the veteran the benefit of the doubt and grant a disability rating (certainly not 100% but maybe 20%).

The VA has its problems, but it's not all bad. I think most of the people there really try to do a good job

Mike

[Dave, below, posted a good idea. Here in CA we have a Veteran's service office that is part of County Community Resources. They know their way around the VA disability application system and can provide free help. Maybe there's a similar resource available in your brother's area. If you want an example, see here (http://www.veterans.ocgov.com).]

Dave Anderson NH
11-03-2016, 12:24 PM
As a Vietnam Marine combat grunt I appreciate all efforts to serve our wounded veterans and applaud Rob's contribution, and I put my money where my mouth is I volunteer 1 day a week (Wednesdays) at the Manchester NH VA Medical Center. Anyone can do it, not just veterans, and I urge anyone who wants to help to contact their local VA and ask for the Volunteer Coordinator.

Dan, have your brother contact the DAV. Their Veteran's Service Officers are the best, have the most training in working through the VA system, and almost always get the fastest and best results. The system is complicated and he should not try to navigate it on his own.

2 important days coming up: November 10th the 240 birthday of the United States Marine Corp, November 11th Veteran's Day

A hearty Semper Fi to all who support our wounded warriors.

Brian Holcombe
11-03-2016, 1:24 PM
Thank you for your service!

Dan Carroll
11-03-2016, 1:32 PM
He has been doing it on his own. Keep in mind he started this paperwork in Az when it was ground zero for lost paperwork etc. in the VA. He has been getting whip sawed a bit. Also it seems like every time he goes in for a check up they find something new and start over again. It has been about a year since they found the gas residue in his lungs from the sub fire (sea water and batteries do no mix). He was a attached to a seal team and so much of what he did was off the 'books'. I have some friends on the armed services and veterans affairs committee staff that are chomping at the bit to help, but he has to allow it to happen. Some bull shit about not going outside channels. He can be a stubborn old bubblehead.

Mike Henderson
11-03-2016, 1:41 PM
He has been doing it on his own. Keep in mind he started this paperwork in Az when it was ground zero for lost paperwork etc. in the VA. He has been getting whip sawed a bit. Also it seems like every time he goes in for a check up they find something new and start over again. It has been about a year since they found the gas residue in his lungs from the sub fire (sea water and batteries do no mix). He was a attached to a seal team and so much of what he did was off the 'books'. I have some friends on the armed services and veterans affairs committee staff that are chomping at the bit to help, but he has to allow it to happen. Some bull shit about not going outside channels. He can be a stubborn old bubblehead.

Just an added comment: he can pursue his claim "as is". Once he gets a determination (assuming it's positive), he can file an amended claim showing the new causes and the VA will do an additional determination. The amended appeal will not affect his initial disability determination so he has nothing to lose.

Mike

Andy Nichols
11-03-2016, 2:52 PM

Dan:

First part is very simple, have him go to Cosman's website and sign up, only takes a few minutes. Next suggestion is to use the "contact page" and tell them what tools he has if any or what tools he needs based off of the video that talks tool requirements.

On the VA part, there was some good advice already given, have him use the DAV they are outstanding....

Having watched literally hundreds of Veterans deal with the VA, my opinion is they are a lousy red tape driven organization that can take years to complete a claim.

Service members like myself that were wounded in battle and obviously disabled for life have an advantage dealing with the VA because there are teams that work the claim for the service member. However the VA lost my claim while I was still in the hospital and luckily the team had copies so it only took them about 8 months to straighten it out.

It's a really poorly run government agency, with some very good doctors and nurses. Also having dealt with 3 different regions, my experience is they are not the same, even though they have the same rules and regulations...could spend hours ranting about long waits for wheelchairs, eyeglasses and different clinic appointments, but will restrain myself.

His Purple Heart is a big advantage, but Presumptive does not mean automatic Service Connection.....

Even if one believes the disability ratings are "liberal" getting one is not simple and the pay is pathetic, especially when the service member has to give up retirement pay in order to receive VA disability, even when it's disability retirement.....

Sorry for the rant and will crawl off the shopbox.

Woodworking is great distraction therapy for me and using hand tools is even better, no noise, with exercise...

Really like having the video classes because they can be accessed anywhere, anytime and can be used just for entertainment when I'm unable to get out of bed.

Almost forgot to say:

Make sure he lets Rob know if he wants to attend one of the week long courses.

Giving him your support is a great thing.....

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum