PDA

View Full Version : Humming the "Jeopardy" Theme

Brian Kent
11-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Waiting. waiting. Tick tock tick tock tick tock.

Loving Grizzly customer support. They are replacing a potentiometer that is bent and broken. Not in stock. I know they are working on it.

But meanwhile, I would love to turn the new lathe on.

Waiting. waiting. Tick tock tick tock tick tock.

Mark Greenbaum
11-02-2016, 1:17 PM
If you're in a big hurry, go to Radio Shack or local electronics supply house. Get a mil-spec pot, and don't look back.

Brice Rogers
11-02-2016, 1:35 PM
I took the part number from the Griz manual and googled it. The potentiometer uses a somewhat non-standard mounting with a 20 mm hole. So a radioshack part would require some sort of bushing. I see your LA42DWQ pot on ebay but they all look like they come from China with an arrival date of around 2-1/2 to 3 weeks. Brian, hopefully Griz can get you a pot more quickly than that.

I did notice that this pot is made for industrial speed control applications and it looks like you won't have to do any soldering or unsoldering as this pot appears to have screw terminals on the back side. It might be good to acquire a spare for that point in time when it fails.

Brian Kent
11-02-2016, 2:10 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

Sid Matheny
11-02-2016, 2:59 PM
WOW that is a bummer Brian. I'm sure it will be worth the wait but I hate waiting too!

Brian Kent
11-02-2016, 4:40 PM
Thanks. Except for Christmas ornaments I don't have anything on a strict timeline, so I can emphasize the shop itself, arranging, cleaning, thinning the herd (but just a bit).

Roger Chandler
11-02-2016, 5:44 PM
Was it damaged in shipment, or damaged in the uncrateing, assembling, moving into the garage phase of this operation?

Allan Ferguson
11-02-2016, 7:20 PM
About as exciting as sanding or watching grass grow.

Brian Kent
11-02-2016, 8:09 PM
Was it damaged in shipment, or damaged in the uncrateing, assembling, moving into the garage phase of this operation?

I saw no damage in the packaging but did not discover the problem until it was fully assembled. I probably did it in assembling or moving.

Roger Chandler
11-02-2016, 8:18 PM
I saw no damage in the packaging but did not discover the problem until it was fully assembled. I probably did it in assembling or moving.I had a suspicion. :rolleyes:;)

Clint Bach
11-03-2016, 2:05 AM
Are you sure about that 20 mm thing? I replaced mine and that doesn't sound right. Maybe it's the diameter of the knob or case or something. Have you removed it yet? You have to remove it to replace it so you may want to get an early start.

clint

Pat Scott
11-03-2016, 9:24 AM
Did you get rid of your old lathe yet? If in a time crunch you could use it for ornaments. I know that's not the same pleasure as you would get from using your new lathe.

Brian Kent
11-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Yes, Pat. I sold it to a wonderful student of the Palomar College Woodturning classes.

Brice Rogers
11-03-2016, 8:15 PM
Clint, do you have the G0800? According to the description on the parts list for the G0800, the pot is a little weird. Either 20 or 22 mm. If Brian sees a 1/4 inch shaft at the base of his knob then yes, he could go to Radioshack or equiv.

Brice Rogers
11-13-2016, 6:45 AM
Brian, are you up and running yet with your new lathe?

Brian Kent
11-13-2016, 10:18 AM
The part is due in 48 hours. I have been working on other parts of the shop and looking forward to the big reveal.

Dane Riley
11-13-2016, 11:14 AM
The 20 or 22 mm probably refers to the diameter of the body, behind the panel, which hardly matters.

paul cottingham
11-13-2016, 3:17 PM
Heck, I'd buy the right pot. (Electrically) and hang it underneath until the new one comes that fits.

Brian Kent
11-13-2016, 5:57 PM
Just 2 more days.

Brian Kent
11-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Humming the Jeopardy Theme No Longer!!!!

Yesterday the potentiometer arrived. It was easy to figure out how to replace it.
So I did. Then I plugged it in. The rpm lights lit. I pushed all of the buttons and turned the dials. Silence. Nothing. Until I saw arrows on the Emergency Stop button. I turned the button. It popped out. And it turned on.

Habemus Latham! We have a lathe!

Leo Van Der Loo
11-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Happy Happy turning Brian :D

Roger Chandler
11-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Humming the Jeopardy Theme No Longer!!!!

Yesterday the potentiometer arrived. It was easy to figure out how to replace it.
So I did. Then I plugged it in. The rpm lights lit. I pushed all of the buttons and turned the dials. Silence. Nothing. Until I saw arrows on the Emergency Stop button. I turned the button. It popped out. And it turned on.

Habemus Latham! We have a lathe!

Get on with the turning, Brian......we want to hear all about it!!! :D

Brian Kent
11-16-2016, 12:26 PM
I arranged to take a "Sabbatical" which in my life means "2 days off in a row". Tomorrow the wood spins.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2016, 1:09 PM
I arranged to take a "Sabbatical" which in my life means "2 days off in a row". Tomorrow the wood spins.

Good on you!

Brice Rogers
11-18-2016, 2:19 AM
Hello Brian,

Is your new lathe up and running ?? Hopefully it is working perfectly for you.

Perhaps I'll see you at the SDWT meeting Saturday.

Brian Kent
11-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, it is running. First project - a set of 4 bowls for my daughter. Nice!

Roger Chandler
11-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Yes, it is running. First project - a set of 4 bowls for my daughter. Nice!Aw, come on, man! Is "nice" related to the bowls you turned or info on the lathe? A little more descriptive and a few more particulars like torque, smoothness, features, ergonomics, power, your impressions....etc, might make this a bit more an interesting response! :D

If you are too busy at the moment to give a full review, then tell us that, and then when you might be able to do that! I mean, you get what is reported to be a killer machine, and we all have been holding our breath waiting to hear from you......... Aw, come on, man! :D:p

Brian Kent
11-18-2016, 1:56 PM
Aw, come on, man! Is "nice" related to the bowls you turned or info on the lathe? A little more descriptive and a few more particulars like torque, smoothness, features, ergonomics, power, your impressions....etc, might make this a bit more an interesting response! :D

If you are too busy at the moment to give a full review, then tell us that, and then when you might be able to do that! I mean, you get what is reported to be a killer machine, and we all have been holding our breath waiting to hear from you......... Aw, come on, man! :D:p

Everything about this machine is a smooth beast. I am just learning to drive. I will give a full review when I can. Thanks for asking :)

Dane Riley
11-18-2016, 9:26 PM
Just for completeness, is it a standard pot?