PDA

View Full Version : Help with veneer issue

Robert Engel
11-02-2016, 9:06 AM
I just finished applying veneer to 10 drawer fronts for a dresser build. This is my first attempt at a large scale veneering job.

The veneer is figured cherry 1/28" non backed applied to solid cherry.

I used TB cold press veneer glue and clamped the drawer faces together. 2 of the drawers appeared to have glue bleeding through. I applied glue to both veneer and substrate using a roller. In retrospect, based on squeeze out, I used way too much glue. Difficult to see in photo, but there a linear streaks of staining after scraping off the glue.

After removing the veneer by sanding and scraping you can see the remnants of the glue streaks:

I was lucky to be able to get another piece of veneer from the same lot. This time I used TB hide glue applied with a brush, clamped as before with wax paper between veneers. After 48 hours in clamps the glue was still tacky. I am definitely not satisfied with this glue.

You can see the film of hide glue on the surface.

I don't know where the coating of glue came from but I'm wondering if its bleed through?

After a bit of rather nervous scraping it is better but compared to the other drawers these appear darker:

Its a total mystery to me as to why only these two drawers are giving me a problem.

I am extremely concerned with the amount of scraping this is requiring I don't have much veneer to work with.

My main questions are what impact this may have on finishing? I plan to use oil and shellac.

Would a wipe down with water help?

I am so bummed out about this that I have not touched the project in several days.
I anxiously await your advice!!

Malcolm McLeod
11-02-2016, 10:03 AM
I doubt this will be much help at this point, but I built something very similar - shop-saw 1/16in curly cherry veneer on common grade cherry drawer fronts. I just used TB III for slightly longer open time (vs TB II) and ALL of my clamps. Worked great for 24 drawers; no issues with gluing or finishing, and no scraping.

Only suggestion I can offer is to build up a sample using your same method and test your finish on the sample...

John Blazy
11-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Apply some of the oil finish on those splotchy cherry faces, and you might discover that the splotches from bleed through might just blend in nicely. It is very common for bleed through during veneering, and most veneer glues are dark and compatible with most finishes, so you might not have a problem. Find out what the solvent is for the TB Hide glue (might be alcohol) and wipe down the whole face first prior to applying the test finish with oil. Personally, I would use a danish oil finish on cherry, and forget the shellac. I have seen amazing oil finishes in which wax was the final buff coat.

Robert Engel
11-26-2016, 9:23 AM
Ok guys, I re-veneered the two fronts using TB LHG (don't like the stuff). My technique was 1) sand substrate with 100 grit, 2) thin coat of glue brushed on both surfaces, 3) clamp faces together with waxed paper in between for 24 hours.

Only to find surface of both pieces covered in glue. Where the heck is it coming from? I think it has to be bleeding through a defect in the veneer. The new piece of veneer was a slice from the same lot.

I removed the glue with a combination of scraping and lightly wiping with water. The glue is definitely removed but as you can see those two drawer fronts are darker, really a brown color compared to the others (its actually more noticeable than the pic shows). The drawers have been sitting for several weeks and if anything, the drawers appear even darker.

So I see my options as:

1) Apply some finish and see what happens I was going to use natural Danish oil, but I'm not confident that will change anything. I can always remove the veneer and start over.

2) Re-veneer & use Old Brown Glue this time.

3) Leave it alone figuring the rest of the drawers will darken over time. But I'm really not satisfied to let it go.

TIA for all your replies.

Don Kondra
11-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Ideally, you would use the same glue for all parts but I doubt you will see a difference after a short period of sunlight !

Cheers, Don

BTW > glue bleed through is not unusual and normal sanding will remove the "glaze".

Joel Wesseling
11-26-2016, 1:53 PM
You Want this glue http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Better-Bond-Veneer-Glue-Color-Medium.html
and this roller http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Veneer-Glue-Roller.html

Apply evenly to substrate with the roller. Don't put glue on the veneer.

You should have a 3/4" MDF/or ply platen and clamp in center first, then perimeter.
Using one drawer against another is not good idea unless both fronts are absolutely flat.

I've done a lot of veneering and bleed through never shows through with Better Bond glue as long as you get the right colour, although Medium works for many species.

Hard to tell from the pictures but is it possible that the dark colouring is Mold? This can happen(and does happen) with lighter colored veneer when pressed for to long. I've had spotty mold development with cherry, usually sands out.
For really light wood, I leave it in press for less than 1 Hour.
Severe mold can be removed with Oxalic Acid.

When Approaching sand through it can look dark.