PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour

Tom Hamilton
10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Creekers: Finally got some pics together of my little garage shop and wanted to share them with you.

I'm in the third bay of a three car tandem so have a 12 X 24 work space but the advantage of the adjacent two side by side bays for a less closed in feeling.

The cabinets and bench are all shop built, part of a a long and slow learning curve.

I started with a T&G plywood floor and instantly added a window air conditioner. An old stainless steel commerical sink completed the convenience items and I was off and running. I use an electric water heater that just heats what I'm using, no reservoir. It raises the temp to about 100.

The bench started as a learning project from one of the magazines. I keep adding elements: drawers underneath and the laminated SYP top.

The table saw is a early 1950's Boice Crane with a 2hp 220v motor. The yellow base is actually file folders taped around the legs to control the dust. This won't pass the "Pentz" test, but keeps much of the mess in the cabinet. The overarm guard connected to a ShopVac complete the "system.

The old tools on the far wall are mostly family pieces including a Stanley Transitional that is late 1800's. The No 7 came from a well known auction site.

It's been a fun project and a great place to work. Ideas and pics from other Creeker's shop have played an important part my shop. So thanks to all of you.

Favorite Tool: Window Air Conditioner :)
Most Used Tool: Window Air Conditioner ;)

Thanks for looking, TJH

Dan Larson
10-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Tom, nicely equipped shop! I couldn't help but notice your extensive collection of hand planes-- care to elaborate on them a little more?

Dan

Bob Noles
10-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Tom,

Very nicely organized shop and very well equiped I might add. I especially like the convenience of the refrigerator :D

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

John Lucas
10-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Too clean to be real. Seriously, you have done a nice job of setting it up. I, too, like your hand plane collection.

Dennis Peacock
10-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Very nice Tom. BTW, how'd you make the base for you bench? I'm really needing to build me a bench since I have a vise that needs a bench to be mounted to. :rolleyes: Nice organized shop.....very well done sir. :D

Dan Forman
10-05-2005, 3:40 AM
Tom---looks like you have made very good use of your space, and have a nice collection of tools. Welcome to the Creek.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
10-05-2005, 3:46 AM
Tom, the planes are great, the bench is cool...but you have a shop sink! And a sweet one at that. That sure must be handy. Nice job on the shop.

- Vaughn

Ed Lang
10-05-2005, 5:13 AM
Good looking shop and I like your cordless tools next to the A/C:)

Tom Andersen
10-05-2005, 6:20 AM
Very nice shop, it's always interesting to see other people's shops. You have done a beatiful job. I have one question though. Because of the dust problem, I have placed everything in drawers and cupboards to protect against dust. My workshop looks more like a dentist clinic. It doesn't look nearly as nice as your shop but I suspect that it helps keeping the dust a little under control. Any opinions on that issue out there?

Frank Pellow
10-05-2005, 6:29 AM
Thanks for the tour Tom. I always enjoy seeing where my fellow-Creekers work. You sure have crammed a lot into a small space -but you crammed it well.

Keith Burns
10-05-2005, 8:25 AM
Very nicely done. I too enjoy seeing others shops. The thing that strikes me is, and this is a compliment, it looks like a well used, old timey shop like my Grandfather would have had. Very inviting and comfortable.

lou sansone
10-05-2005, 9:55 AM
nice looking shop. so what do you make in that nice shop?

lou

Jason Tuinstra
10-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Tom, thanks for the tour!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Nice, well organized shop Tom! Thanks for the tour!

Jim Hinze
10-05-2005, 2:49 PM
Very nice shop, well organized and good use of space.

One of these days once I get my shop cleaned up and organized, I'll have to post some pics.... :o

Bruce Page
10-05-2005, 3:08 PM
Tom, nice shop with a place for everything (and everything in it's place)!

David Duke
10-05-2005, 3:24 PM
Nice shop Tom, always nice to here from a fellow Texan. I'm just north of Houston (35 miles north of IAH on Hwy 59).

Tom Hamilton
10-05-2005, 4:12 PM
Thanks for each of you for the comments and questions:

The planes started from SMC discussions and the tutorial posted by Professor Smaltzer. I shopped around and ended up with the 110, 220 and 60 1/2. Small was nice, but you know Texans, so went to the Number 7 next and filled in behind with the 4 and 5.

The woodies are old family tools. Mike in Katy identified the transitional as post civil war, maybe 1870-1880. I have used is sparingly and it will peel a curl.

Dennis the bench is rather cobbled together, but it works. It was a a simple 2x4 frame and 4x4 leg project from one of the magazines in 2000 or so. I kept adding layers of MDF to the top and then panels of 3/8 ply at the ends for stability. The skirt at the bottom is just to keep the dust from under the bench. When the article appeared, here I think, about ripping 1x6's for a bench top I added that. It's heavy and stable but no prize winner.

Yes dust is a problem without a cyclone. The overhead guard gets a lot of the table saw stuff, but the CMS is a pain. I have a vac under it connected to the exhaust, but it doesnt't get much. That's why I built the box and added the "dust curtain"! :D It's not pretty but controls much of the throwoff. Also not patented, help yourself.

Lou, I've built all the cabinets in the shop; a desk and yarn storage "cubby" system for my wife's knitting, (her hobby is designing and knitting women's suits and high end sweaters;) and am starting on "lockers" for the three granddaughters. It is a project that was in the Lowe's Woodworking newsletter last month or so.

Vaughn the sink is very handy. Drinking water, brush cleaning, hand washing, etc. Got mine at a restaurant supply cheap from the repo bin. Can you imagine a restaurant failing? :eek:

Favorite tool is still the a/c. ;)