PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ceramic Guides for MM16

Izzy Charo
11-01-2016, 4:24 PM
Hello,
My MM16 (vintage 2009) has the European Guides…wondering if anyone has found ceramic guides/thrust bearing that fit without modifications of the guide holders, etc

Thanks very much,
Izzy Charo

Cary Falk
11-01-2016, 4:48 PM
Is his what you are you looking for?

http://spaceageceramics.com/store/

Van Huskey
11-01-2016, 5:09 PM
Cary posted exactly what I was going to post.

jerry cousins
11-01-2016, 5:21 PM
i think my mm16 is a few years before yours - i put the laguna guides on mine without any modifications.
have used them for many years and really like them.
jerry

Izzy Charo
11-03-2016, 2:53 PM
Thanks for the help--I've ordered the ones from Spaceageceramics. They seem like good folks to work with.
Izzy

Glenn de Souza
11-03-2016, 3:18 PM
Would you mind reporting back after you try out the new ceramic guides? I have standard euro guides now and I am not quite clear on what I would gain by going to the space age guides. I'm thinking they would function more like cool blocks than bearing type guides but I'm not sure.

Van Huskey
11-03-2016, 4:15 PM
Would you mind reporting back after you try out the new ceramic guides? I have standard euro guides now and I am not quite clear on what I would gain by going to the space age guides. I'm thinking they would function more like cool blocks than bearing type guides but I'm not sure.

Ceramic guides allow you to run the guide just touching the blade (though you will see some recommendations to offset them like a bearing or block guide but it is not needed) for better control. They will also work well with sappy or green wood as the guides tend to polish the blades and keep them clean. They will outlast both bearing and black guides and don't need refacing, plus IIRC Spaceage has a lifetime warranty against wear. All around good choice for guide material, save for really thin blades where wood or Cool Blocks are best.

Cary Falk
11-10-2016, 5:20 PM
I just wanted to add that I ordered some guides from Spaceage Ceramics last week for my G0513X2. I installed them yesterday. They didn't have a plug-n-play solution for the thrust bearings but they worked with me to get a usable solution. They are a great bunch of people to work with.

Van Huskey
11-10-2016, 5:36 PM
I just wanted to add that I ordered some guides from Spaceage Ceramics last week for my G0513X2. I installed them yesterday. They didn't have a plug-n-play solution for the thrust bearings but they worked with me to get a usable solution. They are a great bunch of people to work with.

Let us know how you like them when you have time to form an opinion. Honestly, I hope bandsaw makers transition away from bearing guides, particularly off the shelf versions (the Euro guides are a different animal), I have said it before and will repeat it here, bandsaws should be used to make skateboards not share parts with them.