PDA

View Full Version : Single Malt Recommendations

Prashun Patel
11-01-2016, 8:52 AM
I am looking for a good reco on a Single Malt for a friend that's turning 50. He's a Lagavulin 16 fan.

What's the next step up from there?

Malcolm McLeod
11-01-2016, 9:02 AM
I am looking for a good reco on a Single Malt for a friend that's turning 50. He's a Lagavulin 16 fan.

There isn't one!. ....Unless you can find a 25yr? (Just my humble opinion.)

Howard Garner
11-01-2016, 9:05 AM
I am a fan of Laphroig, one of the Islay scotches.

Malcolm McLeod
11-01-2016, 9:17 AM
On a slightly more useful note, it is easy to find more expensive scotches than the Lagavulin, but basically you're just buying 'exclusivity' - you'll have the only bottle on the block.

If he likes the Islay scotches and the big peaty tastes, then any of the other Islay offerings are good.

If he likes a massive finish, try Talisker. It is a highland region (Skye) scotch and not too expensive, but different, and I think unique.

Or for tastes at the other end on the spectrum, look for Auchentoshan (Lowland region), or Springbank (Campbeltown region).

Neil Gaskin
11-01-2016, 9:25 AM
2 bottles. :).

Your friend has good taste. Whiskey/scotch is pretty subjective. If your friend tends to Islay styles maybe try Ardbeg or check out the link below.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews/?brand_id=0&rating=0&price=0&category_id=1&issue_id=0&reviewer=0

Malcolm McLeod
11-01-2016, 9:31 AM

Your friend has good taste. Whiskey/scotch is pretty subjective. If your friend tends to Islay styles maybe try Ardbeg or check out the link below.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews/?brand_id=0&rating=0&price=0&category_id=1&issue_id=0&reviewer=0

Neil, I've got a birthday coming up. That '64 Bowmore looks really nice (hint, HINT ).:D:D Or a Porsche. :cool: ...I'm easy to shop for.

Neil Gaskin
11-01-2016, 9:55 AM
i meant to point out the right side sorter. You can adjust by price type etc. or you can just mortgage the house.

on on anther note if he likes big peaty taste you might try Triple Smoke from Corsair Distillary. It's not scotch but it's damn good in my opinion.

http://www.corsairdistillery.com/home

Charles Taylor
11-01-2016, 10:34 AM
In addition to whatever is recommended here, go to the Lumber Yard and look up "Whisk(e)y thread" on or about page 4. Might find some ideas there.

Mike Ontko
11-01-2016, 11:57 AM
I am a fan of Laphroig, one of the Islay scotches.

Ditto! But the smokey, peat-infused taste of the Islay style isn't for everyone.

Dave Richards
11-01-2016, 1:21 PM
I have an old Scottish friend who likes Lagavulin but he said it's so smoky, it's like licking the inside of a barbecue grill. :D

Brett Luna
11-01-2016, 1:23 PM

I'm a fan of the Islay malts myself. The smokier, peatier, and "nastier" they are, the better. I've had a handful of the Lagavulin Distiller's Editions that I've enjoyed and the current one looks interesting to me as well: "Double matured in Pedro Ximinez cask wood, this is a mellow Lagavulin, peat-rich, sweet and very more-ish." Another option would be the Lagavulin 12 Year Old 200th Anniversary if available in your area. Stepping out the Lagavulin lineup, I'm fond of Caol Ila, especially the 18-year-old expression. For a step sideways that's not Islay and not particularly peaty/smoky but is a little unusual nonetheless, I like The Balvenie Caribbean Cask, which is finished in rum barrels.

Malcolm McLeod
11-01-2016, 1:36 PM
...the smokey, peat-infused taste of the Islay style isn't for everyone. Sassenach!

Van Huskey
11-01-2016, 4:19 PM
Ditto! But the smokey, peat-infused taste of the Islay style isn't for everyone.

I agree. I love Scotch but hate the Islay versions save the non-peaty few. That said Lagavulin is an Islay so Prashun can peat away with confidence. I can't hel though since I don;t like them.

Prashun Patel
11-01-2016, 4:22 PM
I happen to like it as peaty and smokey as possible. The more phenolic, the better...although my instinct is this is not good for us.

Stew Hagerty
11-01-2016, 5:54 PM
I just happen to be a bit of a Single Malt aficionado. I'm of Scottish heritage, in fact 3 sides of my family tree go straight back to Clan Ross in the Scottish Highlands. When it comes to Scotch Whisky (NOT WhiskEy, Scotch is unique), I tend to agree with the Scots, who favor the Whisky from Glenmorangie (pronounced glen-more-angie, or glen-m-orange-e). It is by far, the number one Single Malt in Scotland. Of their varieties, I have found all to be extremely good. Even their "Oringinal" is quite excellent. In fact, it's my go-to table whisky.

Glenmorangie has the tallest goose-neck stills stills in Scotland, they allow the "vapours to rise a wee bit more towards heaven". There are several "Emergency" levels in Great Britain. The area around the Glenmorangie distillery is zoned with the same level as their nuclear power plants. The Sixteen Men of Tain have been making the worlds finest whiskys there since 1703. The whole area around the distillery is saturated with alcohol. There are species of moss that grow on the trees in the surrounding area that grow no where else in the world that live solely on the alcohol. It is because of the level of saturation, that the Government has classified the whole area at that highest level because of the amount of destruction that would result if something catastrophic happened there.

I have been fortunate to have attended several of their tastings at various Highland Games throughout the Midwest. In fairness, I have also attended tastings of many other brands as well as those of various distributors. In my humble opinion, my recommendation for a special occasion is their "Signet". It's rich, complex, aromatic, silky smooth, an immensely flavorful. My all time favorite is their 25yr. It is so smooth, it's like drinking warm whisky flavored butter. My favorite (within my economic means) was their 15yr, which unfortunately they no longer produce. It tasted like a much much more expensive whisky. The secret was in the specific maturation it received. I always highly recommended it.

Below is a link to their website. You will need to input your date of birth (day first, then month). On the home page, hover over "Our Whiskys" and click on the variety of your choice. It will take you to a page with a great video explanation of it. You should also check out the videos under the heading "Our Stories".

OH, by the way, Glenmorangie owns the company that makes the oak casks used by Jack Daniels. Once used by Jack, they are transported to Scotland where they are then put to use for the initial aging process. Having Jack use them once, tempers the charring so that it doesn't impart the harshness as it does in Tennessee Whiskey (notice, I put the "E" back in).

So here is the link, let me know what you think:

https://www.glenmorangie.com/us/ (https://www.glenmorangie.com/us/)

Wayne Lomman
11-01-2016, 9:30 PM
Stew, that's way too much temptation. Lucky I'm broke... Cheers

roger wiegand
11-02-2016, 8:46 AM
There is no "step up" from Lagavulin. It's the best there is, end of story.

Any of the other Islay whiskeys are nice to have on occasion-- they remind you of just how good the Lagavulin is.

Prashun Patel
11-02-2016, 8:50 AM
Roger, that's my fear ;)

Everyone, thanks for the reco's.

Stew, your post was particularly inspiring. Now if I could just get a bottle of Signet shipped 2-day air economically!!!!!!

terry mccammon
11-02-2016, 11:57 AM
You might consider cask strength Lagavulin, of whatever age statement you can afford.

Daniel Greening
11-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Lagavulin Distiller's Reserve or the Lagavulin 25. I loooooove the regular 16, especially around the fireplace or camp fire. Tastes like the great outdoors!

Prashun Patel
11-02-2016, 12:37 PM
LGV 25? If my friend makes it to 100, perhaps.

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-02-2016, 8:11 PM
It is not step-up but something different - try Oban 14 or Yamazaki. Last was the best single malt in the world in 2006. And yes I know it is not from the right country, but still very good.
Ed.

Prashun Patel
11-02-2016, 8:27 PM
I ended up with Oban 18. Thanks to everyone.

Phillip Mitchell
11-02-2016, 11:57 PM
I was discussing this earlier tonight with my wife actually. We are taking a belated honeymoon of sorts this weekend and she mentioned picking up some special beverages to celebrate. The topic naturally drifted to Scotch and I couldn't really think of anything I wanted more than Lagavulin, despite my best efforts. As others have mentioned, I don't think there are any steps above it, just sideways or down. Never tried the Oban 18, hope it goes down well!

Stew Hagerty
11-03-2016, 2:45 AM
Stew, your post was particularly inspiring. Now if I could just get a bottle of Signet shipped 2-day air economically!!!!!!

Well, I see you bought an Oban 18. Not a bad choice. Although I'm not much of a fan of their younger whiskys, the 18 does have some interesting aromas and flavors. Kind of middle-of-the-road peatyness which I prefer.
Whenever you have a chance either search online for the Signet and/or give Glenmorangie a phone call, and they'll put you touch with a distributor

Belinda Barfield
11-03-2016, 9:04 AM
If he likes a massive finish, try Talisker. It is a highland region (Skye) scotch and not too expensive, but different, and I think unique.

Late to the party, so to speak, but another Talisker fan here! It's my birthday present of choice!

Mike Ontko
11-03-2016, 10:56 PM
I have an old Scottish friend who likes Lagavulin but he said it's so smoky, it's like licking the inside of a barbecue grill. :D

LOL - it's like drinking a fine cigar.

Peter Kelly
11-04-2016, 2:49 PM
Cragganmore 25. Nothing else I've tried comes even close.

Prashun Patel
12-02-2016, 3:25 PM
It's funny that peated scotches get dismissed so often. To those who dislike them as a category, I suggest you try a flight of them. There is enormous complexity in those Islays. Being wood guys, we should all appreciate the 'phenols' that are causing those tar notes, but you have to learn to taste THROUGH that to the vanilla and caramel and countless other notes. Underneath a lot of them are like (I'm ready to be smacked for this) kinder, gentler bourbons. This becomes evident when you taste a 'good one' (as defined by you) vs a 'bad one'. Eventually, even the phenolic taste becomes appealing.

I would put Islays' in the 'white oak lumber' category. At first, they both scream "HOSPITAL CIRCA 1992, " and can be a little splintery and they can go Revenant on your tongue or tools, but as you turn them sideways, you realize there's some beautiful ray flecks in both.

Malcolm McLeod
12-02-2016, 3:49 PM
... try a flight of them.
+1. And be sure not to drink them in 'series'. A 'parallel' approach is MUCH more revealing. After you've sampled the 3rd one, going back to a sip of the 1st will result in a completely different experience.:D

Dave Haughs
12-02-2016, 4:12 PM
+1. And be sure not to drink them in 'series'. A 'parallel' approach is MUCH more revealing. After you've sampled the 3rd one, going back to a sip of the 1st will result in a completely different experience.:D

Thanks for bringing this thread back. Now I'm thirsty :D

Patrick McCarthy
12-02-2016, 5:25 PM
Balvenie 17 doublewood is hard to beat . . . . hard to pay for too . . .

Prashun Patel
12-14-2016, 8:15 PM
Reporting back...

My father got a bottle of for father-and-son-only Glenmorangie Signet last week. It was Heaven in a glass, but I can't figure out if it's because we paid so dearly for it or because it was really that good.

BIRKIN!

Stewie Simpson
12-14-2016, 11:58 PM
Auchentoshan (Lowland region),

Excellent brew.

Stew Hagerty
12-15-2016, 8:40 AM
Reporting back...

My father got a bottle of for father-and-son-only Glenmorangie Signet last week. It was Heaven in a glass, but I can't figure out if it's because we paid so dearly for it or because it was really that good.

BIRKIN!

Prashun, it's really that good!

Andy Giddings
12-16-2016, 10:09 PM

Another vote for Ardbeg - if you like it really peaty then try their Corryvreckan - that's about as peaty and tarry as it gets. Not to everyone's taste, but one of their best

jessica patel
12-22-2016, 5:31 AM
hello
i'm new user your community.According to me Scotch drinkers like to keep things simple. Sure, you can make a fantastic whisky cocktail, but most aficionados want to enjoy the smoky flavor unadorned — except perhaps for ice, water or a splash of soda. Instead of looking for the best mixers, connoisseurs are trying to find the top distilleries in Scottish towns from the Highlands to the Lowlands that produce the best single malt scotch.

regards
jessica patel
contact me-Assignment writing service (http://help4assignment.co.uk)

Brian Holcombe
12-22-2016, 8:52 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread!

I was discussing this earlier tonight with my wife actually. We are taking a belated honeymoon of sorts this weekend and she mentioned picking up some special beverages to celebrate. The topic naturally drifted to Scotch and I couldn't really think of anything I wanted more than Lagavulin, despite my best efforts. As others have mentioned, I don't think there are any steps above it, just sideways or down. Never tried the Oban 18, hope it goes down well!

I'm not much for Oban 14, but the 18 is pretty incredible.

Well, I see you bought an Oban 18. Not a bad choice. Although I'm not much of a fan of their younger whiskys, the 18 does have some interesting aromas and flavors. Kind of middle-of-the-road peatyness which I prefer.
Whenever you have a chance either search online for the Signet and/or give Glenmorangie a phone call, and they'll put you touch with a distributor

Reporting back...

BIRKIN!

Nice choice!

Practically all of my favorite whiskies are Islay, Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin and Port Charlotte. Lagavulin has a distillers edition which is slightly different from the 16yr, that is really good. I was lucky enough that my sister and her husband bought me a Bunnahabhain 25yr as a thank you for a piece of furniture I made for them. I drink it about once a year and it never fails to amaze me.

If you really want to splurge....I mean REALLY want to splurge...I've seen a few bottles of Lagavulin 37yr floating around various stores in my area!

Phillip Mitchell
12-22-2016, 9:26 PM
I proposed to my wife during the last course (which happened to be the Signet) of a 5 course Glenmorangie / gourmet food pairing dinner at an esteemed local restaurant. It was fantastic and will always be remembered fondly. I'm told that it was a smart move on my part, as she would've had trouble saying no during the last course of a Scotch tasting dinner even if she'd wanted to!

If I remember correctly, we tasted the Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'or, and the Signet. It was quite a memorable experience!