PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2016, 10:42 PM
31 Oct 2016

Good Evening/Morning Everyone,
It's been a hard week but a good week. Work has been "work" and I can now say that I've finished the work we agreed to at the bowling alley. New ball racks made and installed and I'm happy to say that I'm pleased. :)

I'm off work this week and my plan is to enjoy it and get the blanket chest finished for the LOML Jr that was started almost 2 years ago. Life and time gets away from me now days and seem like time keeps getting faster and faster with every passing year. I've heard that time flies when you get old...I guess I'm getting old because time sure does fly...or seems to anyway.

A friend of mine has asked me to make an island top for their new house that they are getting built. I priced it "high" and still got it. The island top is to be 56" wide by 120" long by 2.25" thick. It is to be made from various species of domestic hardwoods and in no specific pattern. I simply don't know how I get myself into these things, but I just "do". :)

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!

peter Joseph
10-31-2016, 12:00 AM
Enjoy the week ahead Dennis.

I finished up some details on my Studley Tool Chest replica. This past week was mostly spent turning the small coved brass elements on the front of the ebony panels. I need to put the cleats on the back and then saw it open next weekend. Pleased with how its turned out thus far.

Ugh. If you double click the image it orients properly.

Jim Becker
10-31-2016, 10:05 AM
'Glad your bowling ally job reached completion, Dennis! (and that you have a week off from work-work)

This weekend was "more of the same"...the bathroom "mini" renovation continued. The theme for this weekend was...paint...and all of the paint work is done outside of another coat of white in the window area and some minor touchups that I'll wait to do until after I have received and installed the tile for the baseboard area where it's "new" wall. I also fabricated the new counter top...power tools to the rescue! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/IMG_8623_zpshowh7swt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/IMG_8622_zpsfcqwq78c.jpg

The drop-in sink conveniently required a perfect circle for the cutout, so there's no better way to do that than with a router and a trammel. In this case, the OF1400 with a spiral bit and my MicroJig setup for circle cutting. About 3/8" of depth was taken with each pass to keep it clean and manageable.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/IMG_8564_zpspi4uhzhu.jpg

The "completed" counter assembly ready to install the sink and hardware...the counter itself is a piece from Ikea (the only reasonable priced source I could find at the time) which was cut down to fit the space and the off-cut used to make the backsplash. The latter is fastened to the counter using Euro screws from below
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Bath%20Renovation/IMG_8567_zpsxidyjzmf.jpg

Garth Almgren
10-31-2016, 4:32 PM
Work continued on my office shed project.
I spent much of Saturday up in the attic running PVC conduit from the main panel in the garage to the opposite corner of the house.
I had planned to drop a piece of conduit down from the attic and attaching to the top of the panel through an existing 2" cutout in the drywall, but the geometry of the roof immediately above the panel wouldn't allow me to get it from the top (I was barely able to get a drill with a spade bit in there!), so I ended up cutting a couple larger holes in the garage drywall and feeding it up to the attic from below. The 75ish feet of conduit inside the house is completely done from the panel to the LB fitting on the outside of the house, and if I'm really lucky I won't have to go back up into the attic until after Thanksgiving. :D

Next up is renting a trencher, laying down more conduit, and then pulling some wire, but that all might need to wait until the torrential rain we've been having lately is done.

Wayne Lomman
11-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Home from Adelaide so I can forget about building and concentrate on.... Oh, building the new lab for my wife. Just a refit really but it is back to the frame work, renew insulation and lining and replace work tops. Not today though, as I am sitting on a sunny verandah in Merseylea Tasmania checking up on you guys while my wife conducts a training session. It must be all of 11 degrees celsius. No rain though. Cheers

mark mcfarlane
11-02-2016, 7:14 AM
I retired and moved to Texas over the weekend :). Good weekend.

Still having problems with an easement release for the new shop. The water district now wants me to give them 10 feet of new easement along the north edge of my property for flood control, which is going to require a complete building redesign, foundation to be re-engineered,... and is going to cost me too much in rework fees. Totally stupid on their part, my lot is the highest point around. Apparently some idiot on the board that doesn't want to give anything away for free. The initial plan took 5 months to complete and I dread doing it over again.

So good, and bad.

At least I am local now, and can try to give out some hugs next week and get this thing moving along. The new building was supposed to be ready to move into this week.

At least my new Noden bench will arrive in a few days and I have enough projects lined up to keep me busy for a few months.

Malcolm McLeod
11-02-2016, 7:51 AM
I retired and moved to Texas over the weekend :). Good weekend.... Welcome home.

Jim Becker
11-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I retired and moved to Texas over the weekend :). Good weekend..

Now THAT is great news! Congratulations!!

http://clipartix.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Smiley-face-clip-art-thumbs-up-free-clipart-images-2.png

mark mcfarlane
11-03-2016, 6:23 PM
Thanks Malcom and Jim. I've been running around like crazy getting phones set up, banking, doctors,... Seems like more work than when I was working :)

Jim Becker
11-03-2016, 9:28 PM
Thanks Malcom and Jim. I've been running around like crazy getting phones set up, banking, doctors,... Seems like more work than when I was working :)
Wait until you have to start working on the new honey-do list... ;)

mark mcfarlane
11-04-2016, 9:58 AM
Wait until you have to start working on the new honey-do list... ;)

Strangely, I was gifted with a wife who has few needs beyond playing 3 rounds of golf per week, otherwise she gets cranky. Therefore the backyard of our new home/shop is on the 5th fairway. She walks out the backdoor to putt, I walk out the side door to putter. That's the plan, anyway.

My adjust-a-bench legs came yesterday, the Grizzly maple top is coming today. The downside of getting the 36" top is it's not going to roll through any doors in our house. Oops.